How to pwn Football Manager (The Sequel), Tactical Framework and Matchday Preparation

The Game

Reaction score
Firstly please dont merge with the other guide. Its in two parts for a reason :)

How to pwn Football Manager - Tactical Framework Analysis & Match Day Preparation.

Its far too long to post it all, it wont actually let me post it but you can see the whole thing if you click on the cover above. Below is a brief introduction.

Hello Wonderkids!, yes Im back - not sure how thats working out for you, lets hope its a good thing :s

Anyway, Im here for a purpose and the purpose is Football Manager! - This is the sequel to the hot guide that was "How to pwn Football Manager". In this edition we are looking into the tactical framework. Last time out I discussed the attributes that you would need to scout for in order to find the right players for each position. You might also remember the point that you must build a versatile team with players capable to swap positions and allowing you to rotate the shape of the team slightly.

I mentioned previously that we need to play either 433 or 442. I stand by this, as I think either are the most solid formations to both contain the opposition and attack them. Of course you can implement my ideals and settings into other formations and still be massively successful. I recognise that some of you will have teams already and you wont be in a position to reshuffle them or make massive changes - yet you may want to adjust the team to be able to beat better opposition - this guide will aid you no matter what formation you choose to use or the calibre of player you are using.

So - where did I leave off? I recall telling you that we must at all times remember to check the pitch we are playing on in the pre-match reports. Obviously its vital that we pay attention to the scouting. Its not there just to fill out the game. It contains vital information. It really is useless playing this game and skimming through it, you might as well go play Championship Manager (oh yes, I went there again). Seriously, think.. you arent going to beat the AI if half of the time you ignore the instructions and tips youre getting that will allow you to win the game.

What are we looking at in the finale? Well the final part of the guide surmises the introduction that was part one. We are about to look at the tactical framework and then analyse the match day.

Thus far Ive covered individual player attributes and whats needed to play in each position. Ive covered what position on the pitch we need to be playing and how to get the best out of our players in those positions. Now its time to finish things off by looking at the tactical instructions. So, less chit chat more fact.

Mentality: This dictates how the team or a player will play. More attacking will pressure the opposition. More defensive play will allow you force the opposition to play your game. Both have pros and cons. Defensive will tighten your team up but it will invite the other team on to you more, its not a way I like to play unless we are ahead and need to hold on to a lead late on. Never been too generous with this setting, it will leave you open more to the pitfalls of either being too attacking or too defensive. Remember, sometimes leaving this setting in the middle isnt a bad thing.
Creative Freedom: Not every player is Kaka. "Creativity should be used sparingly" - that comes directly from Sports Interactive and SEGA. Only give a winger, or indeed any player, a creative license if he has a high creativity stat. Otherwise youre telling someone like Tom Huddlestone to go out and try a rabona in the middle of the pitch - thats only going to lead to Thomas falling on his backside and an opponent getting the ball and doing something useful with it, like maybe keeping possession?
Passing Style: This is vital. You should be adjusting this before every match. Read the scout report and adjust it accordingly. Shorter, narrow pitches require shorter passing, you have less space to move and to attack, you need to keep the ball and build up play. Longer pitches will allow you to be very direct, you can go long too if you have a fast forward and a slow opponent.
Width: How wide you wish to play. Playing wide means better wing play and attacking. Playing narrow is best for defence. If you go wide make sure that you are playing with wingers. If narrow you wont want attacking fullbacks, you will leave your defence open to attack. But you will want wingers to get out wide and stretch the play.
Speed: Fast passing means quick attacks but more mistakes in passing. Slow passing allows the opposition to close you down more but you will keep the ball better. Look to go mid-range. Dont go too aggressive and dont forget to look at these before every game, you might need to alter them depending on the opponent.
Closing Down: If you close down a lot you pressure the defence, you however will use up a lot of energy of the player. Players with high stamina are only really capable of doing this. Closing down is essential unless you want to counter-attack. Dont go too crazy though, it can have bad effects.
Time Wasting: This isnt something you should encourage your players to do. If they are wasting time they are wasting opportunities. Keep it fairly low.
Defensive Line: High up the pitch means less space for the opponent but you can also get caught out by quick attackers. If you play too deep you give your opponent too much space and you allow them to come on to you. Its a double-edged sword. You have to assess the opposition before the game and see if they have fast players. Also check to see the kind of pitch you are playing on, it could be bad to play high on a wide pitch if your opponent is ultra attacking.
Tackling: We go in hard and we come off early, we go in soft and they will not be afraid to attack us.
Focus Passing: This states where you want the ball to go more often. It best to play it outwide in my opinion but some of you will want to exploit the middle of the pitch, if thats the case hit the middle.
Marking: Man marking. Obviously its smart to set this individually on each of your players and not just general settings. You will want some of them to man mark and you will want some of them to zonal mark. Man marking will keep your player focused on an individual, this is great to make sure all players are picked up but it has its flaws such as players getting dragged out of positions - that leads to holes in your formation and its a big flaw. Zonal marking will get the player to pick up the opponent nearest to them, this has its flaws too as everyone doesnt always get marked. The best thing to do is assign Zonal to center-backs and the DMC. The others including the wide men can man mark but ONLY if the opponent doesnt appear to be swapping wingers. (If that happens your FB/WB will be out of position constantly. You will get killed).

Very good stuff. Thanks a lot!