How to start improving your tactics?

lukasdesign

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am on a Sunderland safe and I will very likely finish under the top 10 in the first season. I bought a lot of young players with serious potential. I want to form a team that will challenge the EPL title in a couple of years. The players are the usual ones bought my most of us.

Actually my formation is flat 4-4-2

GK: Enyeama/Gordon

WBLautomatic: Bale, Rat
WBL automatic: Diego Renan, Hutton

CB: Shawcross, Turner (Defend, Zonal)
CB: Otamendi/Mensah (Defend, Man)

Ballwinning MC: Cana/Cattermole
Adv Playmaker: Krivets

MCL (Winger): Reid/Zenden
MCL (Winger) :Malbranque/Henderson

Complete Forward: Welliton (or Poacher Campbell)
Deep laying Fwd: Milevsky

Tactics:

Very rigid
Control
Passing more direct
Pressing more
More aggressive
rest default

This team is doing well, but I have just a simple tactic created in the editor. Hardly any sliders are used. How should I start to improve from this? I conceded a lot, so I started to use zonal mrking instead of man (but applied man marking to one CB, as suggested here somewhere in this forum). This really helps.

What could be strategical approach to constantly improve a tactics? Without just downloading someone else work?

Anybody feels like brainstorming on that?

Make the formation more fluid. It means that the more advanced players (Wingers/Strikers) will drop back and help with the defensive work.

Very rigid with that team, lol mate, very rigid is like martin o neill, each player JUST does their role, so its isolating all the units

IMHO the first port of call for anyone wishing to take their tactics to the next level is this.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=1118

Its the most comprehensive tactical guide ever made.

^ This.

Like others have said. Fluid philosophy + zonal marking works well. IMO don't start matches on more direct passing. Personally, I only change the passing via shouts depending on the field size, conditions, situation ect. Similarly with 'more aggressive'. I would only put that on if the referee does not give many yellow cards/fouls.

I usually use 'press more'. But you have to be careful as it can tire your players out pretty quick because they are trying to close everyone down.

This may seem trivial but you must remember there are 22 players on the field not 11. Often I make changes due to the opposing formation via shouts, OIs and specific marking instructions.

For example:
- If i feel pretty threatened by the opposing AMC I will explicitly tell my DMC to man mark him.
- If they are only playing with one isolated striker I will drop my defensive line to isolate him further.

But if you want to really get a good basic understanding of tactics, you can't do much better than reading Tactical Theorems. ;)