birat

Reaction score
I have set passing style in tactics to shorter for the team and as well as individual players.
But during the game there is lot of miss-passes during the game because of long passes.
How do I avoid this???
Help me on this?

I have set passing style in tactics to shorter for the team and as well as individual players.
But during the game there is lot of miss-passes during the game because of long passes.
How do I avoid this???
Help me on this?

Most of the times, its becasue the players lack passing options so they put a long ball instead of risking loosing it in a dangerous position. Here, its important to have enough players linking up with play. Some players coming deep and some players moving into channels to open up space.

But before starting to alter your approach, make sure that the scenario you describe is actually what is happening. When looking at the highlights, these are highlighted for a reason. It CAN be that the few times that your players struggle with passes after being put under pressure, putting a longball, are the times when the opposition gets a chance. SO even if seing this 10 times every game, it could be the ten times its actually happening.

Now, why dont you show us your tactic and squad so we can see where( or if) you go wrong. If you have tweaked any sliders, then please upload the tactic instead.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.......I have posted some picture of my tactics and passes during the game..........and also have tweaked for CD and WBs......................have a Anchor man, two CM and a AMC...........and two ST as poachers.......with 4-1-2-1 diamond formation.....................please suggest me on this

Its like a suspected. Your 3 defenders seriously lack passing options. When in possession , they are isolated form the rest of the team once being put under pressure. They have being given the instruction to " play out of defence no matter you think os the best option "( shortest of passes and no creative freedom), so they will try to do this. When being but under pressure, they will pass the ball from one defender to another at the same time as the rest of the team moves forward, in the end resulting in that they won't have a passing option. Here, they will hoof the ball upfield.

The same goes for your wingbacks. They have one of the most important roles in the tactic, yet they get isolated out wide told to play it really, really safe, just getting the ball to a player really close to them.
When using this " play out of defence", it can only be done if the team moves upfield as a unit, not here. My suggestion would be NOT to use this option.

Regarding the other players, its because they are not on short passing but on mixed along with lots of t-balls so they are told to do use more risk for the award.

Where is this "PLAY OUT OF DEFENCE" option in tactics.................I think this is possible only during the game..........??

By setting their passing to short and no creative freedom, they will always pass short when they get the ball unless under pressure. This is essentially the same thing as selecting "Play out of Defence".

FYI, All of those shouts are just a quick way to modify sliders for you during a game, except maybe for a couple like "Look for Overlap" - I'm not sure how you'd get the same effect as that one just using sliders.

So I have to put back passes to MIXED and creative freedom to normal for the defensive lines to stop them giving away long balls. Right?

Also is there any option on how to make the CMs come deep to get the balls so that the defensive lines can easily pass the ball to the central midfielders.??

So I have to put back passes to MIXED and creative freedom to normal for the defensive lines to stop them giving away long balls. Right?

Also is there any option on how to make the CMs come deep to get the balls so that the defensive lines can easily pass the ball to the central midfielders.??
Yeah that sounds good to me, but if they do silly things occasionally then scale back the creativity imo.

I'm not sure how to get the CMs to come deep, I normally play with at least a DLP even in my attacking tactics who helps link up the play out of defence. As far as I can see from your tactics you should have something similar happening, perhaps set the DLP's mentality a bit more defensive so he doesn't push up the ground so much? Maybe setting the CM to Support or Defence would help. A good fallback is to set your GK's passing to mixed so that he will belt it up the field if your WBs and CBs aren't open.