How to Stop my players from taking long shots?

xsuarez7x

Reaction score
Title says it all, my players keep taking long shots and they blast them wide because their long shot stat is 8 etc. I can't seem to find anything to stop it. Would be greatly appreciated if someone could help out. Thanks

thank you for the reply, ugh that sucks. jordan henderson thinks hes ronaldo shooting from 40 yards every time its ****** annoying

Aye it's a nightmare, you can try "work ball into the box" as a team instruction but it still happens, on average half of my shots come from outside the box but it might cause to to happen less.

Cheers mate ill try that

i have tried the work ball into the box yet my players all shoot from 30 yards out. Its a nightmare, 20 odd shots a game yet only ever seem to score 1 or 2

If you play with a lot of player freedom that will make them shoot more often as well.
Try playing with less fluidity and player instructions to "shoot less often" for the players who keep shooting.
Hard to stop if they have the ppm "shoots from distance" though.

High tempo, high creative freedom, no players available due to tactics or opposition formation plus numerous other things will result in players taking long shots.
It's not impossible to stop players taking them just need to avoid getting into a situation where a long shot is the most viable choice. PPMs are the big thing you need to look out for, then go to your formation and imagine each player in each position with the ball and what he's most likely to attempt to do when in possession. Try to get players so they're either in space or they have someone who will be able to receive a pass.
I play an attacking 4231 and my long shot ratio is pretty good, usually no more than 3-4 a out of the 20 or so shots I'd take a game.

You can also tell your player to shoot less often. This will cut down his shooting. If you tell the players to be more creative, as someone noted, they will take the liberty to create their own shots.