How to stop players from shooting from outside penalty box?

fm2008manu

Reaction score
As per title, how to stop players from shooting from outside penalty box.. so ignore, they alway long shot and miss... how to set in team or players instruction setting

Team instruction: Work Ball Into Box
Player instruction: Shoot Less Often
and possibly try Control

Thank you, got another question

Got one setting under possession (team instruction).. attack defend more offen then yr original tactic default.. it is good to be on or off that setting? Mean our attackers will try run with ball offen to opponent? I am confuse.

Not sure which one you're talking about specifically, but:

"Go Route One"
Should be OFF for you. This setting will get your team to sort of hoof the ball up the field, only should try this if you have big strong target-men up front.

"Run At Defence"
You would want this ON, since you don't want your player to shoot if he has no options - instead with this he will try and beat his man. Creativity, Flair, etc are great attributes to have in your squad for this.

"Shoot On Sight"
Turn this OFF.

if you find your players to still be attemping long-range shots, then try:

"Be More Disciplined"
This should be ON, and restrict them to the roles you set for them, instead of them using individual ingenuity.

Not sure which one you're talking about specifically, but:

"Go Route One"
Should be OFF for you. This setting will get your team to sort of hoof the ball up the field, only should try this if you have big strong target-men up front.

"Run At Defence"
You would want this ON, since you don't want your player to shoot if he has no options - instead with this he will try and beat his man. Creativity, Flair, etc are great attributes to have in your squad for this.

"Shoot On Sight"
Turn this OFF.

if you find your players to still be attemping long-range shots, then try:

"Be More Disciplined"
This should be ON, and restrict them to the roles you set for them, instead of them using individual ingenuity.

Ya this in bold. Mean I need to switch on? It is recommend to switch on? Not only for me, i mean for you... Normally people will switch on this setting?

For me, players shooting from outside the box is a give-away sign that there is a cul-de-sack problem with your tactics.

There are 3 main reasons a player will shoot from distance
1. He has a long shot PPM and decent Long-shot attributes.
2. The Defense backs off the player with the ball and a genuine Long-shot opportunity open us.
3. Your players are not creating enough options, are remaining too static and being marked out of the game; the player has no out-ball and is forced to shoot.

1. I don't think there is much you can do bout this one. The player likes to shoot long and it's part of his game. You'll have to retrain him and play him in a more deep-lying position in the midfield.

2. These should not be avoided. If these sorts of opportunities are presenting themselves, look to take advantage of it by spreading the play wider, exploiting runs-from-deep midfielders. Long-Shots are not going to be eliminated since the opposition is presenting these opportunity but learning how to effectively exploit the conditions around why these opportunities are being created is key.

3. This is the one you've to be worried about. If the opposition are not presenting you with Long-shot chances, it's fair to say that they are forcing them upon you. You're players are not acting as a unit and are getting themselves isolated. Backing off and trying a more careful build up might be a good option as well as 'more roaming.' Be careful though as this will open gaps in your midfield lines that a quick counter could exploit.

Watch the full match (not just highlights) and find out why the players are taking long shots.

Ya this in bold. Mean I need to switch on? It is recommend to switch on? Not only for me, i mean for you... Normally people will switch on this setting?
It depends, if I'm playing with midfielders and forwards that are capable of beating defenders then sure, I'll put it on.

But currently on my Blackpool save I have it off, since I prefer my players to hoof the ball up-field.. Stoke style :)

Also depends on what position they play. I don't remember for sure, but when I use Cavani or Ibra as complete forward they would shoot from 30 feet often and so far I have never seen one go in. As soon as I switched to Poacher, they were connecting on crosses and cutting into open lanes scoring from 10 feet with ease.