How tough really is the Blue Square Premier?

vKompany

Reaction score
I took the Stockport County job in December of 2011. They were 21st, they finished 21st and I took them to the Blue Square North.

I won the Blue Square North.

First season back in the Blue Square Premier I finished 12th.
Second season I finished 7th. 2 points off the play-off's despite going unbeaten throughout the second half of that season.
Third season I finished 6th, I was top of the league for a third of the season. I missed out on the play-off's by 1 point. Should I had beaten Tamworth second to last game of the season or didn't drop 3 points in the 92nd minute to Bradford to gain a point things would of been so differently.

Forth season in, I'm lingering around 10th/mid-table.

My question is, what does it actually take to get out of this league? The word "Premier" really does make you feel trapped and I'm now in my 6th season and from what I see, no signs of improvement this year already to get out of the league.

I have a young squad prior to 2 experienced central midfielders. How do you get out of here!?

i allways sign the best free transfers and ignore their age just till i get to championship, then when im earning the money i start to set up for the big one.

Incredibly easy. I took the Stockport job start of the season (as I support them) with 250k transfer + 25k p/w wages and walked the league, and then walked league two

Its not incredibly easy Spencini. I don't know if you're lying or not because you start with £150k not £250k and if you spend that money your finance goes into a state.

As for others, InValide Jrh I'm not one to splash loads of money simply because I've never had much to spend. I've kept a really good eye on my clubs finance as we keep going into insecure finance and keep losing money. I to sell good players after a few years because what they negotiate for a new contract I can afford on my wage budget but I won't use because I know of the clubs financial situation. Really I should be getting out of this league but I just can't for some reason.

Free Transfers. Its all about the Free's. There's a ton of good talent sitting in the scrap pile that would come together to walk BS Premier if you seek them out and find them. Try to go with the highest rated players that'll work for the cheapest, screw paying transfer fee's, and see if you can get *anyone* to play on a non-contract, as it'll get you decent players for only 45-65 quid a game. At least until you get your finances under control.

Over the seasons I've been at the club they have been improving. I have 2 strikers on a combined total of £320-per-week. Now obviously I have players on bigger contracts than that such as £500/£600-a-week yet such a small squad with many £120 youngsters with high potential (I've been signing 17-year-olds and developing them on a cheap wage to put in my first-team in a seasons time).

I make good profit in the transfer window. Something I can't do any more however is sign players on non-contracts, nobody is ever interested. Once I get that promotion to league 2 the money the club receives will be a lot healthier for the club. I'm in the top 10 highest wages but attendances of 4-5k shouldn't be putting me in this problem, especially as a few seasons ago I was making a profit until I sold two players and somehow started making a loss.

I'm working at trying to get up the league with the minimum at the moment, but I'm in my 6th season on the game and I just keep finishing outside the play-off's and somehow I need that in.

BSP is really easy, I got promoted with Stockport first season and managed to win the nPower League 2 as well. Just sign the best free agents you can such as Jamil Adam, Pablo Counago etc...

You say its easy and you've got out of two divisions.. but I bet you've smashed yourself over financially and don't say you haven't because there contracts aren't cheap. I'm trying to get out of the Blue Square Premier with stability and somehow I can't reach the play-off's. You also haven't even read all of the text within this thread because I'm not in my first season, I'm in my 6th so players like Jamil Adam, Pablo Counago aren't available to me any more on a free.

in my experience the blus square premier is easier to get out of then the tier below it, although it's still really tough. having not played in the league on this years version i only have my experience on fm11 to go by but i doubt it's changed much since. Anyway, from what i remember you pretty much needed a squad capable of challening for the title as it was always very close around the playoffs and most seasons whether you got into the playoffs or not came down to luck. and i'm sure i lost a semi final on away goals and then lost the final on pens the next season.

i agree with sammyt,

took me 3 attempts to get out of blue square north..but i got out of the prem 1st time and that was with radcliffe borough and i was in a financial state!,

maybe you should look at the player's you have? they are obviously not good enough.

I got out of BSP first time round with York, I let a load of their players go as soon as I got in and just reshaped the entire squad. Lucky for me their left back James Meredith is a beast, averaging 7.00 + in BSP, L2, L1 and Championship so far...

A quick tip, in the lower league dont take too much notice of the place attributes, have a assisant manager that has good scouting knowledge, player potential and ability and take his advice on how many stars hes rated.

Back on 2011 I signed Omar koroma on a free for luton and he scored 43 goals in all competitions and he was only 19

I signed 3 frees a year and sold them the next season and put all funds on wage and got more frees

Consecutive promotions and only didn't win the championship but won the rest

During league 2 days I raided german b teams and bought for about 100k each

When in prem I sold koroma to Tottenham for £7m and put it all on wages
Then used board request and asked for more wages before juggling and getting £20m
Bought Alex smithies and loans and frees and finished 12th
Second prem season won prem with Billy sharp scoring 23 goals (because of young Germans crossing abilities) and bought koroma back in jan for £3m and he scored 10 goals

Apart from you guys don't read the thread. I'm not in season 1, I'm in season 6 now. I'm not asking for your players in 2011 I'm asking how hard this league is.