How well do you really know your squad?

Max

Reaction score
Hello. :)

I was just wondering, how well do you guys really know your squads in your FM saves? Do you know when a player needs to be taken off for the benefit of your team? Do you know how to change your tactics when you get a few injuries to benefit the other players coming in?

I've been trying to do this today, and I think I really know my Blackburn squad extremely well now. I took over the helm at Blackburn at the start of the 2nd season, they had finished 16th the season before and I had inherited basically the default Blackburn squad without Hoilett and Olsson who had been sold for £10m and £7m to Man Utd and PSV.

I've gotten to known my squad and know when to make tactical changes for each player to help him reach his full potential (except Kalinic who is just awful.), and as a result I now sit 6th in the Premier league at January with all my players getting good ratings (except Kalinic ¬_¬) with my own 4-4-1-1 tactic (due to be released soon probably).

Some of my team are "slightly concerned" at the moment, due to the abuse I've been giving Kalinic about his performances. :$

View attachment 60447 View attachment 60448

So, how well do you all know your squad and do you know how to benefit each player when they're playing?

Please try and include screenshots if possible.

Cheers, Max. (K)​

Yeah I got your pm but I don't know what to change it to so I left it. Think of a name and I'll change it. :)

Tactics look good, looking foward to them. Cant believe your having problems with Kalinic, he always seems to perform in my games. Have you tried him as a deep-lying foward or target man?

Tactics look good, looking foward to them. Cant believe your having problems with Kalinic, he always seems to perform in my games. Have you tried him as a deep-lying foward or target man?
I've tried everything, trust me. I'll test target man - run onto ball when I need to use him again, but until then, bench warming is his new role.

I've tried everything, trust me. I'll test target man - run onto ball when I need to use him again, but until then, bench warming is his new role.
4-4-1-1, amazing formation, use that with every team except for our net game lol, I find it interesting to see if that playmaker disrupts the team or helps link up the moves

Yeah unlucky. I wouldnt get rid of him though. Ive had a look on my saves and he didnt do too well in the first season but he was beast in the second and third.

He must have low adaptability.

4-4-1-1, amazing formation, use that with every team except for our net game lol, I find it interesting to see if that playmaker disrupts the team or helps link up the moves
Yeah, my 2 CM's are my top scorers lol. Alan Judge who is playing in AM has got a rating of like 7.56 I think, he's class.

Yeah unlucky. I wouldnt get rid of him though. Ive had a look on my saves and he didnt do too well in the first season but he was beast in the second and third.

He must have low adaptability.
Yeah probably low adaptability, I won't sell him for less than £7M as he is only 22, hopefully he'll improve sooner or later.

I know my Newcastle team off by heart.

There all my children. :wub: oO)

I usually know my teams very well. When I determine a formation for a team, my signings usually go about making sure there are 2 players for each position. So when i set up my rotational system either based on sustaining a hard season like playing 50 something games or making a 1st and 2nd team based on different types of teams I play against.

i know my city team perfect. i got the youth who i give a start in cups and last like 20mins usually. sometimes start them i big matches to let them gain confidence and that the i got the beasts upfront and a good up and coming goalie who is englands number 1. my subs genrally consist of mids and attackers as i dont concede a great deal

Last edited:
it`s a good job i don`t hold grudges from real life games or half off my Derby team would be mutually terminated.

What happens if the answer to all the opening qustions is No?, does that mean i am in trouble, cause i just play the same formation with everyclub. seems to work.

Lol. We all know your an MLG at FM Scott. ;)

My tactic is still going strong at the end of January, just beat 8th placed Wolves 3-0 at home and I'm now only 2 points behind 6th placed Everton.

Tactic might be uploaded tomorrow the way things are going.

Dont turst max. he justs saves before each match and reloads :) He told me :)

I joke of course

FM really is what you make it, and I'm impressed once again.

I've "recently" started playing FM, and I really just test a lot of tactics and formations regardless of anything. I don't bring on a player who's injured even if it's just a small one, and I play every player in their best role. Other than that I just play on.

With "recently" I mean for quite a while, but just the past 2-3 weeks that I've played it daily. I've never done a whole season with a team before though.

Awesome post whatsoever, and I'll try to get to know my team better;)

I try not to test too many formations/tactics at the moment as my team is playing really well in a 4-4-1-1 formation and we're challenging for a European place with a team that you'd expect would be in a relegation scrap.

Kalinic is finally playing well, with an average rating of 7.14 now, although my January signing Milevskyi is at an average rating of 7.40 and has got 11 goals in 17 games so I refuse to drop him for Kalinic.

Hopefully I can take 5th/6th, but I'm 4 points behind both of them so it will be tough. I think I pretty much know every player in my squad well enough now to help them get good ratings and how to improve them, and Dan's training schedules are also helping with the development of the players aswell.

i know my unitedside inside out (but thas easy since ive been following them for the best part of two decades). i tend to know the teams i use pretty well, it takes me days to get through pre-season as i generally spend 15 minutes player looking throughh every single bit of information on him. i have a way i like to play, but within that way i ca use several formations so its very adaptable to most teams i manage, but i tend to build my teams into fluid units anyway ( my way of play is very influenced by united IRL).

I wouldn't say my play is really influence by Pompey tbh as we never have had any particular "way of playing", when Redknapp was here in 2007/2008 it was sort of go 1-0 up and just defend but I hate doing that.

My normal playing style on FM is usually attacking but making the team organised at the same time, a bit like Villa/B'Ham this season I suppose.