How well would 2 box to box midfielders work together in a 4-2-3-1 formation?

FCBayern96

Reaction score
I am planning on using the standard 4-2-3-1 (MCs instead of DMCs) and I would like to know how well Box to box midfielders would work in it. The AMC will be used as Central Winger (Check INickSuff's sticky, it's roughly advanced playmaker on support with hug touchline as wide play).Will the MCs give me enough defensive cover if both play as box to box?

I dont think so, i try to always have one player in midfield on a defensive duty.

Theres no harm in trying though, if your fullbacks dont get forward too much then maybe?

Yes, it can work. I've done it before with Liverpool, worked pretty well iirc.

A better idea would be to create a double pivot midfield, see INickStuff's thread for an article on that also. I followed that and the results were superb.

Yes, it can work. I've done it before with Liverpool, worked pretty well iirc.

A better idea would be to create a double pivot midfield, see INickStuff's thread for an article on that also. I followed that and the results were superb.

Sorry I'm late to answer, but I tried searching for it and I couldn't find it. Can you tell me what exactly is the article you've mentioned. And by Double pivot do you mean 2 players alternating between attack and defense with no assigned roles?

Sorry I'm late to answer, but I tried searching for it and I couldn't find it. Can you tell me what exactly is the article you've mentioned. And by Double pivot do you mean 2 players alternating between attack and defense with no assigned roles?

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/57796-%5Bamateur%5D-tacticians-chalkboard-football-manager-2011-a.html there you go, it is a sticky so it is easy to find. Just select the Arsenal tactic from there and you will find information about the double pivot. It means that when the other midfielder goes forward, the other holds his position.