How would former Yugoslavia fare in today's world?

ianthtse

Reaction score
As the title suggested.

1. What would be your First XI chosen from the former Yugoslavian countries (this includes Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Macedonia)?

2. How would this team rank against the top national teams in today's world (Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Brazil etc.)?

Tell us what you think!

My First XI (4-4-2)
GK - Handanovic (Slovenia)
RB - Srna (Croatia)
CB - Vidic (Serbia)
CB - Ivanovic (Serbia)
LB - Kolarov (Serbia)
RM - Krasic (Serbia)
CM - Stankovic (Serbia)
CM - Modric (Croatia)
LM - Jovetic (Montenegro)
ST - Dzeko (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
ST - Pandev (Macedonia)

Substitutes
S1 - Begovic (Montenegro)
S2 - Lovren (Croatia)
S3 - Subotic (Serbia)
S4 - Misimovic (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
S5 - Kuzmanovic (Serbia)
S6 - Pjanic (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
S7 - Vucinic (Montenegro)

FIFA Ranking
Currently 4 of these countries are in top 25 according to the latest FIFA world rankings:
Slovenia (16), Croatia (9), Montenegro (25), Serbia (23)
I think the Yugoslavian team will definitely rank amongst top 5 in the world

As the title suggested.

1. What would be your First XI chosen from the former Yugoslavian countries (this includes Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Macedonia)?

2. How would this team rank against the top national teams in today's world (Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Brazil etc.)?

Tell us what you think!

My First XI (4-4-2)
GK - Handanovic (Slovenia)
RB - Srna (Croatia)
CB - Vidic (Serbia)
CB - Ivanovic (Serbia)
LB - Kolarov (Serbia)
RM - Krasic (Serbia)
CM - Stankovic (Serbia)
CM - Modric (Croatia)
LM - Jovetic (Montenegro)
ST - Dzeko (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
ST - Pandev (Macedonia)

Substitutes
S1 - Begovic (Montenegro)
S2 - Lovren (Croatia)
S3 - Subotic (Serbia)
S4 - Misimovic (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
S5 - Kuzmanovic (Serbia)
S6 - Pjanic (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
S7 - Vucinic (Montenegro)

FIFA Ranking
Currently 4 of these countries are in top 25 according to the latest FIFA world rankings:
Slovenia (16), Croatia (9), Montenegro (25), Serbia (23)
I think the Yugoslavian team will definitely rank amongst top 5 in the world

Olic > Pandev
Kranjcar > Jovetic

I'd replace Pandev with Vucinic and Ivanovic with Subotic. I think the two would work better in the starting XI. Doesn't feel right to put Pjanic on the bench but then again, he is young and needs more time to grow. Jovetic is too offensive to fit in his position considering the formation, I'd place Salihovic there instead. You get a good player that will work well on the left flank, do good crosses and excellent free kicks. And Begovic is Bosnian, you made an error there. Otherwise I'd agree with that and I actully think we'd fare pretty well in all tournaments with that.

Vucinic > Pandev > Olic

well vucinic is certanly best of those 3, but olic is far better striker than pandev and thats a fact...also looking at form of left mids id say kranjcar is first pick here ^^)

Team Yugoslavia would probably be one of the most technically brilliant in the world. The Bosnians and the Croatians are seemingly all technical magicians. They would easily be top five in the world if not higher and would be a real joy to watch. I think your preferred eleven is pretty much accurate, although Krancjar, Olic should at the very least have spots amongst the subs.

well vucinic is certanly best of those 3, but olic is far better striker than pandev and thats a fact...also looking at form of left mids id say kranjcar is first pick here ^^)

Sorry, I disagree about Olic. I like to compare him with horse. He can run a lot and never gives up, but just like horse, he has that thing on his head and always looks in one way.

No question about Kranjcar. He is first choice.

Sorry, I disagree about Olic. I like to compare him with horse. He can run a lot and never gives up, but just like horse, he has that thing on his head and always looks in one way.

No question about Kranjcar. He is first choice.

well you comparison is correct :) but his work rate bring so much for the team in offence and defence and in the end he showed he can also bang in couple of goals...he and dzeko=lethal combination...dzeko does the scoring part and olic running part XD

well you comparison is correct :) but his work rate bring so much for the team in offence and defence and in the end he showed he can also bang in couple of goals...he and dzeko=lethal combination...dzeko does the scoring part and olic running part XD

Yes I know he can score a couple :/
Bayern Munich still hurts.
I would leave striker "problem" to Ciro, he would manage Yugoslavia, right ?

Yes I know he can score a couple :/
Bayern Munich still hurts.
I would leave striker "problem" to Ciro, he would manage Yugoslavia, right ?

yeah i guess you are right... Ciro Pederu!! XD

Well back in the 80's they won world cup U-20 with the likes of Mijatovic, Suker, Boban and Prosinecki playing together...

4-2-3-1
handanovic
srna ivanovic vidic kolarov

vukojevic stankovic

krasic modric vucinic

dzeko

Moved to the Football section as I assume you mean in real life.

Anyway, I'd say the team would be ranked between 6th-10th assuming they could play well together.