Howay the Toon - A Newcastle United Story

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Newcastle United Logo.PNG

Hello and welcome to my latest FM instalment; this time I'll be taking over at Newcastle United. I was considering continuing my FM20 Manchester United story but I had a massive post ready prior to the crash and I decided to start fresh. Despite my massive support for United, one club I've always taken an interest in is Newcastle United. I've decided to stick with a bigger club rather than move to a Journeyman just yet because I didn't really get a crack at United and would like to familiarise myself even more with the intricate features of the game which can be so helpful in a smaller club save.

I've decided to take over at Newcastle as they have quite an interesting side. One of the keys will be getting goals out of the team, as currently in real life, CB Ciaran Clark, with 2 goals, has scored more than Newcastle's entire front three combined of Miguel Almiron, Joelinton and Allan Saint-Maximin (1). There's goals for them, but the attack needs to produce more and is quite capable. The team has a youthful midfield with Sean Longstaff and Isaac Hayden, backed by the experience of Jonjo Shelvey. They've a bit of everything and have the potential to trouble European spots if they can get firing correctly.

The club is an extremely successful one, having been founded in 1892. They're honours total to 4 Premier League titles, 1 Europa League title, 6 FA Cup title, 4 Sky Bet Championship wins, 1 FA Community Shield, and the crowning glory, 1 Anglo-Italian Cup, which ended in 1996. Distraught that such a glorious competition is no longer with us (Yes, I didn't know it existed till now, either). My goal is to build on that and with a first season summer transfer budget of 21,500,000 pounds, we can make some solid additions.

Thank you so much for reading this introductory post, excited to take on this save and here's hoping it goes for longer than the last!​

Attachments

• Newcastle United Logo.PNG
    Newcastle United Logo.PNG
    190.4 KB · Views: 194
Howay The Toon - Season 1, Chapter 1
Club Vision.PNG

As I settle down into my first days at the club, Mike Ashley (regrettably still the owner) sits me down to discuss the club's 5-year-plan. It turns out that he only has a 1 year plan, because by the end of the season, he wants to have left the club and doesn't care what I achieve with it. A mid table finish is the aim, and I think that's a fair ask. A positive of this is that Mike is looking to be gone and any other owner arriving would be much appreciated as I'm sure not many appreciate this man!

Transfer Outgoings
I'll get into the permanent outgoing after I just briefly detail the smaller ones first. All of Ki Sung-Yueng (Real Betis), Federico Fernandez (Feyenoord), Javi Manquillo (Huddersfield), Victor Fernandez (Morecambe), Yannick Toure (Stevenage) and Jack Colback (Swansea) have gone out on loan. I felt that they took up squad space, and Ki felt that he wasn't going to get a new work permit, so I had no trouble in letting them go. Toure is the only player I see having any kind of real future with the team so it'll be good for him to gain experience out on loan.

Player Out - Henri Saivet - Al-Hilal (KSA) - 1.8m
Henri Saivet.PNG

Our only permanent sale was Henri Saivet, a central midfielder who has been seen in a Newcastle shirt just 4 times. He meant the equivalent of nothing to me and while I'm sure he's not a bad player, he doesn't have a place in my plans and isn't really at Newcastle's standards. He's off to Saudi Arabia with Al-Hilal and I wish him a good time there.

Transfer Incomings
We've had a quieter transfer window then what was perhaps expected. I only brought in 2 players permanently and 1 on loan to cover my entire transfer budget as I looked further into the squad and it genuinely seems quite covered in most areas. I didn't really need to chase after any particular position so it was a pretty relaxed window in all honesty, contrary to my usual transfer madness which I usually conduct.

Player In - Marc-Oliver Kempf - VFB Stuttgart - 3.7m
Marc-Oliver Kempf.PNG

VFB Stuttgart being relegated last year meant that I could pick up one of their best centre backs for a bargain fee. 24-year-old central defender Marc-Oliver Kempf fills the back-up role nicely following the Federico Fernandez departure. Ciaran Clark and Florian Lejeune both suffer from injury problems, with the latter already out for up to 3 months. His value is already up to over double what we picked him up for and while this deal flies under the radar for now, I think it could be looked upon as a steal in future years. He has all the necessary attributes to become a wonderful centre back.

Player In - Alfredo Morelos - Rangers - 17m (Rising to 21m with instalments)
Alfredo Morelos.PNG

I kept going back and looking at Joelinton's in game stats. I just wasn't convinced enough that he could successfully lead the line for us consistently up to, so I plumped for Alfredo Morelos so that we now have two top quality strikers for this level. I'm confident that at least one of them will produce the goods for us and they'll be battling for the starting spot all season long.

Player In - Stuart Armstrong - Southampton - Loan
Stuart Armstrong.PNG

Our last incoming was Southampton attacking midfielder Stuart Armstrong arriving on a loan deal from Southampton. He was transfer listed and I felt we may've been a tiny bit light in midfield following a couple departures in that area, so I moved a cheap, quick and easy deal to get the 27 year old into the club. He should be an efficient player for us who is capable of individual brilliance.

Pre-Season
Pre-Season.PNG

Pre-Season went down well, with the only notable matchups against Olympiakos and RCD Espanyol. They both went pretty well overall and there were many promising signs throughout it. I'll detail a full season preview following the new arrivals in the next post which will cover key players, exciting prospects and our chances in the new season.

As a Newcastle fan I always enjoy seeing how others get on in their attempts to manage NUFC. Will be following this and good luck!

As a Newcastle fan I always enjoy seeing how others get on in their attempts to manage NUFC. Will be following this and good luck!
Thanks mate, hopefully I can bring some more success to this club in due course!

Howay The Toon - Season 1, Chapter 2
Squad List.PNG

Following on from that transfer window, the squad is shaping up nicely and looks ready for the new season. Allan Saint-Maximin has a little bit of an injury knock but it's light following him taking time out from pre-season, so he should be fine to the play. I also just wanted to address that I had to re-register prior to starting this story due to the site's rollback past when I had previously registered, thanks.

Squad Overview
Squad Pros : The squad has some quality players in all areas who are capable of playing for teams even higher up the Premier League scale. It's a well rounded starting XI and with an exciting attack and strong defence, I'm hoping for a few big wins over the course of the season to demonstrate the qualities which we possess. Of course, with a first 4 fixtures of Wolves, Manchester City, West Ham and Tottenham, it might have to be a little later in the season.

Squad Cons : The squad does lack a bit of depth in truth. There are quite a few injury prone players and if we do get bad luck on the injury front, it could see us have to heavily rotate for long periods of the season, which could really trouble our form. Hopefully, though, the FM gods decide to be nice to me this time around and we don't get a whole lot of crucial players getting injured.

The Key Men - Martin Dubravka, Jamaal Lascelles, Miguel Almiron and Joelinton
Team Photo.PNG

Our best players will be extremely vital at both ends of the spectrum. Martin Dubravka is tasked with keeping the ball out of the net and he's pretty good at it as well. One of the best keepers outside of the Big 6 and he is a key element if the team is to be successful. Jamaal Lascelles is our captain and leader and is entering the peak of his career, currently at the age of 25. Miguel Almiron just cannot score but there's been several glimpses of his talent and if we can unearth it all, we've got one **** of a player on our hands. Joelinton is the starting striker for now although new signing Morelos is hot on his heels. Goals are vital and our front three doesn't exactly seem like the best in that department, but if the Brazilian forward can repay back his transfer fee, then I'll be more than happy.

The Young Guns - Sean Longstaff, Matthew Longstaff and Freddie Woodman (out on loan)

Sean Longstaff.PNG

We've got a few promising players in our ranks, the bulk of which are out on loan. However, our best young players are the Longstaff brothers, Sean and Matty. Sean is already an influential first team player and Matty is on the fringes. Freddie Woodman is our next best, a very good young goalkeeper and he's currently out on loan which should be good for his development.

I'm predicting a 12th placed finish for ourselves, without too many relegation worries and flirting with a top half finish.

That'll conclude our preview and I hope you enjoyed it, we'll be starting the season next time out.​

Attachments

• Squad List.PNG
    Squad List.PNG
    565.3 KB · Views: 87
Will be interesting to see how things go between Joelinton and Morelos. But I suppose a lot of that depends on how Miggy and ASM perform. Looking forward to the start! ⚪⚫⚪⚫

Will be interesting to see how things go between Joelinton and Morelos. But I suppose a lot of that depends on how Miggy and ASM perform. Looking forward to the start! ⚪⚫⚪⚫
Cheers mate. Those names you listed are certainly our key names. One of Joelinton and Morelos needs to get the goals and Almiron and ASM need to provide them!

Howay The Toon - Season 1, Chapter 3

Premier League - Matchday 1
Newcastle vs Wolves.PNG

Pre-Match: The atmosphere rises as I prepare to get into my first match with the club. I'm buzzing, the players are excited and being up against Wolves we're ready for a great contest.

Kick-off: The match gets underway. This match should be a good one between two teams who could fight for the top half.

4 mins: Ruben Neves has a hit from long range after some decent play by Wolves. Joao Moutinho had intercepted it and eventually got the pass into Neves, who decided to take it on. Not the best finish in the end but worth an attempt. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

9 mins: Wolves' LWB Jonny receives a yellow card after Joelinton got Allan Saint-Maximin into a decent spot but Jonny upended him before he could do any damage. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

10 mins: Good free-kick routine. Shelvey lofts it to the right hand area where Emil Krafth made his run. He directed it to the edge of the box for Allan Saint-Maximin, who took the shot on. A very good save by Rui Patricio and it'll be a corner for Newcastle. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

11 mins: Massive chance for Wolves to take the lead spurned! Diogo Jota single handedly carved his way through the defence but couldn't find the finish. Well saved by Dubravka. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

13 mins: Joao Moutinho is the 2nd Wolves player to receive a yellow card, this time for a foul on Jetro Willems. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

17 mins: What a match this is, tempers flaring now after flurries of chances. Emil Krafth goes into the book after the ball ran out of play he clashed with Diogo Jota and if it escalated further that could have easily been a red card. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

23 mins: Allan Saint-Maximin the main threat for Newcastle on the counter at the moment. A left footed side volley this time again draws a save out of Patricio. There's a rebound opportunity but Newcastle's second attempt results in an offside flag against the Frenchman. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

29 mins: A triple chance for Wolves but no end product!!! Firstly, Dubravka makes a great save from Leander Dendocker's long shot which arrows towards the top right corner. The resulting corner sees a free header for Ryan Bennett fly over the bar where he really could have put it in. Newcastle give away possession easily and then Diogo Jota hits a shot exactly like that of Allan Saint-Maximin at the other end but it hits the side netting rather than the back of the net. #NEW 0-0 #WOL

31 mins: It's the post for Wolves! They're really ramping it up now and this time from a tight angle Matt Doherty lashes one out but it hits the right post and goes out for a goal kick. How are they not in front? #NEW 0-0 #WOL

Number 8.PNG

Ruben Neves.PNG

38 mins: GOALLLLL!!! THERE IT IS!!! It's been coming for Wolves and it's now in. Ruben Neves receives a sublime ball from Ryan Bennett, darts between the two onrushing defenders and calmly finishes to fire Wolves in front. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

40 mins: Yellow card on Fabian Schar now. The match is heated and Newcastle are showing early signs of desperation. They need to be careful. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

43 mins: Double chance for Ruben Neves. The goalscorers first shot is blocked by Schar and on the rebound he fakes a shot before sending one just wide of the right post. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

HT: What a half! I need to catch my breath! It's been all Wolves and a couple of Newcastle counters through Allan Saint-Maximin have been pretty much all for The Magpies. However, they're still in the game. At Half-Time it's Newcastle 0 Wolves 1.

2nd Half: The second period is underway. A little knock to Allan Saint-Maximin, Newcastle's best player in the 1st Half, sees him makeway for Christian Atsu.

46 mins: Already better from Newcastle. They get on the front foot immediately but Joelinton can't head Atsu's cross home. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

51 mins: If one players should have scored by now, it's Diogo Jota. Another chance for him and he really has to score it. Practically one-on-one after a really sharp turn but he bends it wide of the right post. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

57 mins: A couple of corner chances from both teams. Firstly, Leander Dendoncker climbs over Jamaal Lascelles but a difficult header drifts well wide. At the other end, Isaac Hayden makes a late run into the box to met Jonjo Shelvey's cross but he can't keep his header down. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

62 mins: A double substitution by Jordan Williams, a bold move by the new boss. Isaac Hayden is the latest in the book, but it allowed Fabian Schar, a red card waiting to happen, to come off for Marc-Oliver Kempf who will now make his debut. Matt Ritchie is on for Emil Krafth who also could've been sent off earlier which also means new signing Alfredo Morelos will have to wait for his debut. #NEW 0-1 #WOL

No. 11.PNG

Matt Ritchie.PNG

70 mins: The super-sub; MATT RITCHIE!!! WE HAVE A LEVELLER AT THE MOLINEUX!!! A sublime ball by Shelvey put Ritchie through on goal and he made no mistake, slotting the ball around and underneath Rui Patricio! What a game! #NEW 1-1 #WOL

71 mins: Wolves should've gone straight back in front. After the goal, Raul Jimenez is hauled off for debutant Patrick Cutrone, who races on and immediately finds himself through on goal. He fluffs his finish though and fires it well over the goal. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

73 mins: Oh, Diogo Jota!!! He's missed one-on-one again! This time Dubravka does make a very good save, but he still should have finished. Adama Traore is on for Wolves now, injecting pace. He replaces Ryan Bennett as they search for a winner. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

81 mins: Newcastle have been decent on the counter today. A sublimely hit first time volley by Joelinton is well blocked by ***** Boly, it falls to Jonjo Shelvey, who cleverly disguises a pass to Sean Longstaff. The midfielder hits it well, but Rui Patricio is on hand to tip it over the bar. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

84 mins: What does Diogo Jota have to do to score???!!! Traore hits a 45 yard long ball which is frankly quite wonderful. Jota takes it brilliantly first time but somehow Dubravka reads it and makes a great save. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

87 mins: Cutrone takes his turn to miss another one-on-one opportunity. Sean Longstaff makes a good block but it falls straight to the Italian who cannot prod home as Dubravka makes yet another save. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

89 mins: Oh my word! How have Wolves missed here? Cutrone does really well to get to the corner ahead of Dubravka and nods it down to ***** Boly. The defender has the goal at his mercy but for one reason or another tries to flick it at goal rather than a normal shot. It goes wide and that's just inexcusable from Wolves. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

90+2 mins: Jetro Willems into the book. Only a few more moments for Newcastle to hold on. #NEW 1-1 #WOL

90+5 mins: The whistle sounds. How Wolves didn't win this about 5-1 I don't know. Newcastle fans will be happy with the result. A brilliant watch, but in the end no winner. It's all over, Newcastle 1 Wolves 1.
FT.PNG

Man of the Match: Ruben Neves
Despite all of Dubravka's saves, goalscorer Ruben Neves created several chances for Wolves as well as scoring one. He was brilliant in midfielder today.
Match Rating: 8.8

--

So there you have it. A decent result but not the best performance. I don't really know how we got away with that one and it's one of those performances where you're extremely upset if you're the other side. Thankfully I wasn't today but if we play like this against Manchester City, I don't think we'll be coming away with a level scoreline like today. Our counter attacking was the only real positive but at least that was quite decent. Just also wanted to point out the contrasting kick-off times, I'll have that fixed for the next time, hope you can let it slip for now! Thanks for reading.

Decent point against a strong wolves side. What XI did you go with and any changes to formation or just as planned

Decent point against a strong wolves side. What XI did you go with and any changes to formation or just as planned
Cheers mate. I went with (from left to right) Joelinton, Almiron, ASM, Shelvey, Longstaff, Hayden, Willems, Schar, Lascelles and Krafth in this one.
No changes to the formation, I went with a 4-3-3 as planned.

Corrupt Save.PNG

In case you're wondering why there hasn't been an update in a couple days, my FM saves have corrupted! I have spent the past few days trying to use the fixes and get it working again but it keeps on beginning to run before crashing and telling me the same message. I guess it means I have to start again! Upsetting but at least I didn't get far in this one. Sorry lads, going with Everton next.

That's a shame. That's why I use regular autosaves so I have backups of the save. I'd be gutted if I lost my Warrington one

That's a shame. That's why I use regular autosaves so I have backups of the save. I'd be gutted if I lost my Warrington one
Cheers mate. I'll be having backups for my Everton save so that I don't lose it this time around!

Gutted man! Never see many NUFC saves so was enjoying this. Good luck with the toffee's

Gutted man! Never see many NUFC saves so was enjoying this. Good luck with the toffee's
Apologies mate! I was also enjoying it myself but hopefully you’ll enjoy my Everton one just as well.