19lokken91

Reaction score
Hello,

At the moment I am playing through a season with Hull City.

There was no fund available to bring anyone in (450k transfer and 20k wage budget) so I tried to make it work as it was, just renewing a few important players contracts who was expiring at the end of the year.

I had a few injuries so I had to bring in one two plays on loan for 3 months, I have gone slightly over the wage budget, so I have adjusted the budget to try compensate.

The only issue is that the club is losing a lot of money per month and projected balance for the year is falling and by the end I may only have a million as the balance. I am in the play-offs and in fairly good stead to go up, but the finances are awful.

Anyone know of any tips to try cut down some monthly costs?

I have a few players still on premier league wages, but cannot really sell them due to having such a small squad.

Any advice is welcome!

Your best bet is to just ride the tide and hope that you're going to make it back into the top division. The Barclays Premier League's strong revenue and financial windfall should allow you to escape some of the financial issues that you're facing.

You will then be able to release those on too strong a wage packet to maintain at the club - who may not even be good enough to be retained anyway - and sign another player onto a new contract with more years.

All in all: just try to get into the Premier League.

I was in the exact same scenario. The season was fine until about February but like you I reached the play offs. I was about £4m in debt by the end of the regular season but luckily I got promoted so £4m was the price of promotion and worth it. When I managed Cardiff it was the same and at the end of the season I would have to sell at least one of my better players to balance the books after failing to win promotion. I think this is the same if it was a real club Win promotion or sell players, then just find another bargain.

That was what I was expecting, was hopeful that there was maybe some kind of alternative as I didn't want to get promoted in the first year as I cannot see myself being able to stay up without a lot of signings!

Would much prefer to stay in the league and sign young but I don't think the bank balance would last 2/3 seasons at the moment at all!

I am only just coming up to the end of November but I am losing 1-2 million a month which seems very extreme!
Especially as I am getting 18-19k fans every home game, which should generate alot of income but does not seem to balance at all.
I think I can get shut of 2 players at the end of the season to free up 40k but that will have to wait until the end of the season.

Like you I prefer to stay out of the premiership, seems a bit more involved when you are in the lower leagues. I don't see the point of just buying a £20m player and then winning the league with Man Utd, City or Barcelona. Since I started playing FM last Christmas I have managed only lower league teams and the thrill of getting the likes of Chesterfield from the bottom of league two to the championship play-offs is brilliant. I love the transfer window and all the buying and selling so should I need to sell a player then so be it. That's what being the manager is all about! I even have a soft spot for Chesterfield and Hull now even though I support Tranmere!

occasionally, the board will input some funds to help with running of the club but they will still tell you to sell someone. In the January window you might have to bite the bullet and sell a high price player and then get one or two good players in on loan. Also, although it wont help too much, try negotiating contracts with the players who are in their last year, especially older ones. sometimes the senior players will take a wage cut just to make sure they get another year

I know, on FM 2012 I went with Halifax and had a chance to slowly build up funds and manage the financial situation but it seems that just isn't possible to try and manage them with Hull on this game. I am a Hull fan and irl, we have just signed Meyler for 1.5mil, no idea how they have managed that when on the game the finances are just dwindling away!

I have tried to find ways around it but it seems I will have to let a few players be going out possibly on load/sell them and try find some cheaper alternatives!