Hungry for Success: A Roberto Di Matteo Story

View attachment 325324

An exclusive Sky Sports interview with Roberto Di Matteo

View attachment 325326Di Matteo answers questions on his new role

Roberto Di Matteo was appointed manager at German Bundesliga side FC Schalke 04 in late December following the dismissal of Dutchman Huub Stevens. The Italian manager had been out of work for little over a month following his sacking at Chelsea before he was appointed at the Veltins-Arena and met up with one of our reporters for an exclusive interview just days before his first competitive match in charge.

Question: "Roberto, you left the Barclays Premier League in November after your dismissal and have now decided to be apart of German football. Do you miss English football?"

Answer: "Of course I miss the English game - I've been apart of it for so long now as a player and a manager. It truly is an amazing league with competitive teams and passionate fans. It's been a big move into German football and something I've always wanted to do so to finally arrive here is great. I've been so busy since I took the job and it hasn't given me much time to remain in contact with friends from England but I'll get around to it as I settle into life in Germany."

Question: "How is life in Germany? Are you as settled as you were in England?"

Answer: "Life in Germany is very different to that of England. I wouldn't say I'm quite settled yet but I'm getting there. Bearing in mind I've lived in England for so long, it's such a big change. I've wanted to spread my managerial influence across Europe for some time now and Schalke was a perfect opportunity for myself. My family are enjoying living in Germany up to now and hopefully we can settle here."

Question: "Do you see a return to the English game sometime in the future? You're a fan favourite at Chelsea and a popular man among the press. Could you see it happening?"

Answer: "Yes, I think it's something I'll look too in the future. The Premier League is a fantastic division and the fans are so passionate - it's great. However, I'm just focusing on my time in Germany right now and haven't really thought about returning anytime soon. As I've said, I want to manage across Europe and my country of Italy is hopefully a certain destination on my journey. I'm a guy that loves traveling so to travel with football is my life dream. So to answer, yes, I could definitely see myself back in the Premier League someday."

Question: "Maybe a return to Chelsea then?"

Answer: "That's a difficult one. I love the club because the fans are so passionate and love the game. The staff were always great to me and I'd have loved for my stay there to have been longer but the Chairman had other ideas. I never held anything against Roman before and I never will. It's a club I love but I'm not sure because I want to travel - maybe our paths may meet sometime in the future."

Question: "Moving onto your current challenge at Schalke - what do you think is achievable this season? You take over with the club struggling in 10th although the gap between yourself and 4th isn't very big in terms of points - do you think you can get European football again next year? And of course, you face Manchester City in the First Knockout Round - what are your targets for those two games?"

Answer: "The club are in a bad position but I feel I can get them out of it. You're right - the gap to 5th and 4th isn't too big but there's so many competitive teams in the Bundesliga that it's so unpredictable I guess we'll just take one game at a time until the Summer and see where we end up. The real work will start at the end of the season when I've got a while Summer to stamp my authority on the team. Until then it's just a consolidation season - making sure we don't drop too far down. The two-legged tie against Manchester City will be tough and they're massive favourites I guess that's to be expected with the money they've spent and the strength of their squad but I'm hoping we can play well. Even if we give them a good fight and get knocked out - I'll be happy. Just to be competitive against a team like City would be a big compliment to us and show improvement since I've taken over."

Question: "And finally Roberto, how do you want to see your side playing?"

Answer: "I guess that's a really important question. At Chelsea we adapted to any sort of situation - the away game at Barcelona being a prime example. But I want my squad here in Germany to get the ball down and play out from the back. Route one isn't something I really want to discuss with the team because I don't think it's a suitable plan in the Bundesliga. The league is full of very able players and is equally as competitive as the Premier League. I'd like my team to pass the ball and play beautiful football. That's my dream. At the end of the day, football is an art and it's an art I want my team to master to help us write history."

View attachment 325491
Bundesliga: 19th of January, 2013
Veltins-Arena | 52,203
Schalke 2-0 Nurnberg

View attachment 325495

FC Schalke's first competitive game under Roberto Di Matteo saw them comfortably beat a struggling Nurnberg side who only managed to muster 1 attempt on goal all game.

Before the game, Schalke were overwhelming favourites as they faced a side lacking confidence, conviction and courage. However, Di Matteo's process of selecting his starting eleven was severely hindered as four potential starters all suffered injuries in the build-up to the game. Dutch winger Ibrahim Afellay joined Teemu Pukki, Tranquillo Barnetta and Maximilian Meyer on the injury list as Schalke already missed Chinedu Obasi, Joel Matip and new signing Mohamed Diame due to the African Cup of Nations. Before the game, Japanese wing-back Atsuto Uchida was confirmed as an Arsenal player after the two clubs had agreed a £5,500,000 fee.

In just the 13th minute, FC Schalke were correctly awarded a penalty. Young winger Julian Draxler crossed from the left and Jefferson Farfan excellently brought the ball down with his first touch. As he worked the ball onto his right foot with a yard of space, his standing leg was taken from beneath him as he was felled. Leading scorer Klaas-Jan Huntelaar stepped up and fired the ball past the helpless Schafer. Under ten minutes later, Brazilian striker Raffael doubled Schalke's lead. Winger Draxler combined with first-goal scorer Huntelaar well before the latter slid through to the on-loan man to score a beautiful goal at the near post. As the game wore on, both teams struggled to find enough creativity to muster a genuine chance. Nurnberg lacked any sort of form coming into the game and never really showed up as they managed just one (off target) attempt all game.

Table:

View attachment 325499

After the game, Di Matteo was questioned on his teams performance:

"I think we played very well out there today. The performance of several players was very impressive and youngster Julian Draxler improves every single day. Some of the passing between the team members today was absolutely outstanding and we could have scored two or three more. On another day, we maybe will but for today I'm happy with a two-nil win because Nurnberg could have easily been an obstacle we failed to clear. I'm very happy with my teams performance today."

Schalke line-up:

View attachment 325498
Substitutes: Unnerstall, Kolasinac, Bastos, Pliatsikas, Hoger, Moritz, Edu.

Hope you guys don't mind I'm going to have to start doing monthly updates. I know I won't be able to put as much effort in - but I just don't have the time to continue doing individual game updates. I'll try and keep my story as detailed as possible because I've enjoyed including more detail and personally rather that style however, as I said, I just don't have the time. Hope you guys keep following!

Hope you guys don't mind I'm going to have to start doing monthly updates. I know I won't be able to put as much effort in - but I just don't have the time to continue doing individual game updates. I'll try and keep my story as detailed as possible because I've enjoyed including more detail and personally rather that style however, as I said, I just don't have the time. Hope you guys keep following!

All fine with me mate. Look forward to some updates, I'm sure they'll be as good as ever! :D

Can I Pm you, would like to ask your opinion on something to do with my story.

All fine with me mate. Look forward to some updates, I'm sure they'll be as good as ever! :D

Can I Pm you, would like to ask your opinion on something to do with my story.

Thanks for the comment! :)

Sure mate, I'm free right now

View attachment 327413
Bundesliga: 26th of January, 2013
BayArena | 29,323
Leverkusen 0-3 Schalke
(Farfan, Huntelaar, Afellay)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"Our performance today was very, very impressive against a strong team. Huntelaar linked up well with the players sitting just behind him and managed to score one while also providing another. Draxler impressed me once again with a fine display on the left wing."

Bundesliga: 2nd of February, 2013
Veltins-Arena | 55,733
Schalke 3-2 Stuttgart
(Farfan, Huntelaar, Jones)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"We very nearly threw away three points today after being 3-0 up but I'm still impressed with our performance. Personally, I think Stuttgart are one of the more underrated teams in this division as they have some very good players and we coped well against a strong side."

Bundesliga: 9th of February, 2013
Espirit Arena | 43,334
Dusseldorf 1-2 Schalke
(Kolasinac, Raffael)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"We struggled today but we had rested several key players with the game against Manchester City just around the corner. Huntelaar sat on the bench which left replacement Raffael to score as well as young Kolasinac's goal. A valuable 3 points picked up when we could have been tripped up."

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round First Leg: 12th of February, 2013
Etihad Stadium | 47,405
Manchester City 1-1 Schalke
(Huntelaar)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"A very strong performance against one of the world's best teams tonight in the form of Manchester City. We played away from home and scored a valuable away goal which we can take back to our place and hopefully knock out the English champions. Huntelaar took his goal well - scoring from 20 yards out after shoving Yaya Toure off of the ball."

Bundesliga: 16th of February, 2013
Veltins-Arena | 61,673
Schalke 3-0 FC Bayern
(Metzelder, Huntelaar, Draxler)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"Another fantastic performance as we've really started to hunt down the leading pack of the Bundesliga. We completely dominated and could have won by more - although Bayern continue to hold an unassailable lead at the top of the table. Huntelaar scored yet again which I am pleased about."

Bundesliga: 23rd of February, 2013
Commerzbank-Arena | 43,160
Frankfurt 0-2 Schalke
(Diame, Draxler)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"Draxler had another fine performance in an otherwise poor display from the team. The youngster managed to score which added to January signing Diame's strike. A poor all round game from two sides who seemingly lacked the ability to control their play and I'll sure be working on our passing in training over the next few days."

DFB-Pokal Quarter Final: 27th of February, 2013
Allianz Arena | 45,397
1860 Munchen 0-2 Schalke
(Raffael x2)

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"A lacklustre performance meant we only managed to score twice through striker Raffael. We probably should have scored 5 or 6 with our performance but all credit to promotion chasing Munchen who put in a good defensive display."

League table:

View attachment 327416
Team of the Month:

View attachment 327417

Well done mate, impressive stuff so far. Good luck vs City. :)

View attachment 327658
Bundesliga: 3rd of March, 2013
Veltins-Arena | 59,668
Schalke 6-1 Hoffenheim
(Papadopoulos x2, Diame, Raffael, Neustadter, Pukki)

View attachment 327670

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"We played very well today after taking the risk to play a strong side ahead of the match against Manchester City. January signing Diame is really coming into his own after settling down quite quickly and is a very dangerous player in the Bundesliga - both defensively and going forward. Young striker Pukki also grabbed a goal which will do his confidence the world of good."

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round Second Leg: 6th of March, 2013
Veltins-Arena | 54,142
Schalke 1-1 Manchester City (Schalke win on penalties)
(Metzelder)

View attachment 327671

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"We gave favourites Manchester City a real go today and beat them on penalties. In all fairness, we deserved to go through after Huntelaar had also had a goal ruled out. The lads done well to score all 5 penalties while the poor lad from City (Zabaleta) missed City's 5th which meant we won 6-5 after penalties. A very strong performance as we were drawn against Galatasaray in the next round."

Bundesliga: 9th of March, 2013
Borussia-Park | 48,590
Gladbach 0-0 Schalke

View attachment 327673

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"Quite a disappointing display as we never really threatened Gladbach's goal. In honesty the players were very tired after the long game against City but we can't afford to use that as an excuse for the fans who have travelled to watch today."

Bundesliga: 15th of March, 2013
Veltins-Arena | 61,673
Schalke 3-0 Dortmund
(Draxler, Huntelaar x2)

View attachment 327679

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"A fantastic response after the Gladbach game in the derby against Dortmund. I'm very proud of the players after an picking up an impressive 3 points which takes us to 2nd in the league. Huntelaar took his chances well and also hit the bar while Draxler popped up with header to finish the game off."

Bundesliga: 30th of March, 2013
Trolli Arena | 15,200
Furth 1-3 Schalke
(Kolasinac, Draxler x2)

View attachment 327680

Di Matteo's thoughts:

"An efficient performance from the team today saw us pick up three points as we breezed through the game. We have some tough games coming up and I was impressed with the way the team overpowered Furth without ever breaking sweat."

End of the Month League Table:

View attachment 327681
Team of the Month:

View attachment 327683

As I said last night, I'm changing the layout so I can get through it a little faster as I just don't have the time for my old layout. For now I'm just experimenting with a few things to see what I like so the next few posts may differ. If there's anything you particularly like - let me know or if you have suggestions then I'd be happy to try a post out with them in. As I said, just experimenting with my a layout a little!

As I said last night, I'm changing the layout so I can get through it a little faster as I just don't have the time for my old layout. For now I'm just experimenting with a few things to see what I like so the next few posts may differ. If there's anything you particularly like - let me know or if you have suggestions then I'd be happy to try a post out with them in. As I said, just experimenting with my a layout a little!

I like all your layouts, so i'll be easily pleased. :D