Hungry Like A Wolf: Wolverhampton Wanderers

DaveAzzopardi

Reaction score
View attachment 271590

Wolves are a club who have had many ups and downs in recent years and off the back of being promoted from the Sky Bet League 1, it is my job to get them back to the Premier League.

Transfers In:

Héctor Bellerin: Loan - From Arsenal
Ezequiel: Free Transfer
Jordan Ibe: Loan - From Liverpool
Michael Hoganson: Free Transfer
Nathan Aké: Loan - From Chelsea
Mahamadou Diarra: Free Transfer
Danilo Bueno: Free Transfer
Luka Jovic: 1.7m - From Red Star (joining 1/1/15)

Transfers Out:

Bakary Sako: 6.5m - To Swansea
Sam Ricketts: 47.5k - To Peterborough

I decided to sell star player Bakary Sako as his contract was up at the end of the season. I cashed in and brought in a range of alternatives for us to use. Jordan Ibe and Ezequiel are great captures for literally nothing and can really help us catapult towards play-offs or promotion. I have brought in stability for central midfield as we are short of option and now that shouldn't be an issue.

Friendlies:

(A) AFC Telford: 1-0 Win (M. Jacobs)
(A) Bala: 3-0 Win (Ezequiel, N. Dicko, K. Doyle)
(A) Rhyl: 4-0 Win (R. van la Parra x3, M. Jacobs)
(A) Carmarthen: 3-0 Win (J. Price, J. Ibe, B. Afobe)

Overall I very solid pre-season but again much lesser opposition. No goals conceded is a positive though and it was a real chance to rotate the squad and give younger players the opportunity to shine.

Some great transfers but the main one was securing the signing of Luka Jovic, how the **** you pull that off being a Championship side lol

View attachment 271075
Since the last update we have signed two new players before the deadline!

Transfers In:

Álex Grimaldo: Loan - From Barcelona
Rolando Aarons: Loan - From Newcastle

Transfers Out:

Ethan Ebanks-Landell: Loan - To Notts County
Jordi Ortega: Loan - To Rochdale
Michael Hoganson: Loan - To Mansfield

I am really happy with these signings. Grimaldo has the potential to be something special and can be a massive part to our season. Aarons is a great squad player and can offer something when called upon.

August Fixtures:

[CHAMP] (H) Norwich: 0-0 Draw
[LEAGUE CUP] (A) Dag & Red: 1-0 Win (Doyle)
[CHAMP] (A) Rotherham: 2-0 Win (B. Afobe, D. Batth)
[CHAMP] (A) Fulham: 2-1 Win (K. McDonald, N. Dicko)
[CHAMP] (H) Cardiff: 2-1 Win: (N. Dicko, G. Saville pen)
[LEAGUE CUP] (A) Crystal Palace: 3-2 (B. Afobe x3)
[CHAMP] (H) Blackburn: 3-1 Win (B. Afobe x2, M. Doherty)

A fantastic run of form in the league, winning all but one game and remaining unbeaten. The real highlight of the month was a superb 3-2 victory against Crystal Palace after being 2-0 down. A real tough run of fixtures are out of the way without a loss which is great news for the squad and great for morale.

AWARDS: Winner of Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month August 2014

My Player Of The Month:

View attachment 271067

Benik Afobe

After a great run of form Afobe has claiming my vote for player of the month. A superb hat trick versus Palace and another two vs Blackburn has made him favourite to be our key striker this season ahead of Nouha Dicko and Kevin Doyle.

September 2014

View attachment 270524

After a fantastic start to the season, I am hoping the club can continue its great form.

September Fixtures:

[CHAMP] (A) Blackpool: 1-0 Win (Ezequiel)
[CHAMP] (A) Charlton: 3-1 Win (N. Dicko, A. Grimaldo, K. McDonald)
[CHAMP] (H) Bolton: 3-1 Win (Ezequiel, A. Bogdan OG, Danilo Bueno)
[LEAGUE CUP] (A) Tottenham: 3-2 Win (N. Dicko x2, K. McDonald)
[CHAMP] (A) Reading: 1-0 Win (Ezequiel)

A cracking month! Some solid league fixtures and a superb League Cup victory against Spurs! We conducted ourselves very well to hold on to a lead for a long time and managed to pull out a quality victory! Here's hoping we can continue the form against Southampton in the next round!

AWARDS: Winner of Sky Bet Manager of the Month September 2014

My Player of the Month

View attachment 270522

My player of the month for this season is Nouha Dicko. Some outstanding displays with many goals this month has sealed him my player of the month vote. It could have easily gone to either Kevin McDonald, Ezequiel or Alex Grimaldo but I feel Dicko's pivotal goals in the Spurs game makes him deserve the award this time round!

Last edited:
View attachment 269167

October Fixtures:

[CHAMP] (H) Huddersfield: 3-1 Win (B. Afobe x2, D. Batth)
[CHAMP] (H) Wigan: 3-1 Win (Ezequiel x2, L. Evans)
[CHAMP] (A) Millwall: 3-1 (Ezequiel, N. Dicko x2)
[CHAMP] (H) Middlesbrough: 1-1 Draw (B. Afobe)
[CHAMP] (A) Leeds: 3-0 Win (B. Afobe, R. Aarons, N. Dicko)
[LEAGUE CUP] (A) Southampton: 2-0 Win (Ezequiel, D. Batth)

Another outstanding month, still unbeaten! Solid wins and scoring quite a few whilst we are at it. We have knocked yet another Premier League team out of the Capital One Cup and we now host Everton in the quarter finals.

League Table:

View attachment 269165

Such a fantastic start to the season and still unbeaten!

AWARDS:
Winner of Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month for October 2014
Benik Afobe winner of Sky Bet Championship Younger Player of the Month for October 2014

My Player of the Month:

View attachment 269164

Ezequiel

After an outstanding month full of goals and assist, I feel Ezequiel deserves the award this time around. Again, it could have gone to almost anyone but I have given it to the Spaniard who has really impressed me and definitely earned his place in the squad. It's fantastic to have such a good source of goals from midfield.

View attachment 265950

November Fixtures:

[CHAMP] (H) Birmingham City: 6-2 Win (A. Grimaldo x2, B. Afobe, R. Aarons, D. Batth, L. Evans)
[CHAMP] (A) Ipswich: 1-1 Draw (Danilo Bueno)
[CHAMP] (A) Derby County: 3-0 Win (Ezequiel, J. Ibe, N. Dicko)
[CHAMP] (H) Nottingham Forest: 1-0 Win (J. Ibe)
[CHAMP] (A) Brentford: 3-0 Win (L. Evans, N. Dicko x2)

Another unbeaten month in the league. Some fantastic results and fortunately we are picking up a few more clean sheets. We aren't failing to score which is key and it's fantastic that we have players in all positions who can pop up with a goal!

AWARDS:
Winner of Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month for November 2014
Alex Grimaldo winner of Sky Bet Championship Young Player of the Month for November 2014
(Jordan Ibe finished second)

Player of the Month:

View attachment 265947View attachment 265944

Alex Grimaldo & Jordan Ibe

I really couldn't pick between these two. They've been superb all month contributing with goals and assists! Ibe is leader of the assists table by a long away and Grimaldo is picking up huge ratings for fun. Two fantastic players who I hope we can keep hold of next season!