Hurricane Bawbag!

Kris

Reaction score
Police are warning against all travel in the central belt in an unprecedented move as winds of more than 160mph batter Scotland.

They said the people could be putting themselves in "considerable danger by travelling".

Association of Chief Police Officers of Scotland (Acpos) told STV News that travel should be avoided in the area between noon and 7pm in the west and 2pm and 9pm and the Central and Lothian and Borders area.

The Met Office warned of severe weather and gale-force winds on Thursday with councils deciding to close hundreds of schools. Gusts reached 165mph at Cairn Gorm.

Red warnings - the higest level of Met Office alerts - were issued for wind in the Strathclyde, central belt, Tayside, Lothians and Borders areas.

So has anyone else been affected by 'Hurricane Bawbag'?? My office closed around 2pm today & it's getting worse. Lights are flickering and the street lights look like they might collapse. I have added some pictures and video's for the LOL

I also love that #Hurricanebawbag was trending worldwide, trust us to take the funny side of something like this.

Crazy winds | Facebook

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57214000/jpg/_57214057_satellite_cropped.jpg

BBC News - In pictures: Scotland battered by winter storm

And I thought the Scots were tough! :p

Guess no takeaways tonight then

had the day of college because of it :)

Was quiet in Newcastle....til now. Wind has really picked up strength and expecting gusts of 80-90 mph, which is bad here as I'm in a house on high ground, so pretty exposed. Gave a wry smile when a cyclist got blown over. But I suspect the fence will be over by the morning and the bins have been blown over a few times-even though they're full. It's going to be a noisy night with not much sleep by the looks of it.

When did we start letting rednecks name hurricanes?

Although I'm from the South we have had really strong winds recently. I was nearly blown from one side of the dual carriageway whilst riding my motorbike to work! Was really quite scary...

There is something amusing about this though. Watchin your pet cat jump over a fence and be propelled forward over it at breakneck speed by the wind lol

Check out what the wind did to this wind turbine oO)

View attachment 208878

Last edited:
loved that ajt, friend told me about that today. How flawed is it that a wind turbine breaks when there is a large amount of wind to give a decent amount of energy :S

loved that ajt, friend told me about that today. How flawed is it that a wind turbine breaks when there is a large amount of wind to give a decent amount of energy :S

Have to admit, I wasn't expecting something like that. Maybe blown to one side like one or two were, but to blow like that? Once again nature pwns

Pfft. Burning wind turbines? Cardiff library's revolving door stopped working because of the wind, beat that!

One of the Christmas lights on a lampost fell off because of the wind :/ CHRISTMAS IS RUINED!

Revolving doors are great fun when drunk though lol

Because wind turbines have limiters to stop them rotating too quickly. If they didn't, they'd rip themselves to shreds whenever the wind was high. I imagine the friction caused by the limiter caught something flammable and the whole thing went up.