jagginman

Reaction score
HYPOCRITICAL FOOTBALL

Hi, I have been playing FM for a few years and decided to make my own tactic instead of relying on those online as a result of mediocre season results and a general dislike of unorthodox formations like the strikerless which has been popular to modify this year.

I therefore went for a 4-5-1 featuring a CDM and 2 wingers. It operates with a structured mentality so as to control the movement of the players and ensure they follow my rules, yet seeks to allow for certain positions (/players if I feel the need) to operate with flair and freedom that therefore makes this tactic slightly hypocritical hence the name!

I leave OPIs to my assistant manager and do not set anything for training (I only seek to get 5 star staff wherever possible)

DISCLAIMERS

• THIS TACTIC IS NOT FINISHED: It has been used for 11 games (the 11 season games as I got fed up of my original tactic that I had tried in pre-season)
  • THERE ARE ISSUES: Namely the striker’s involvement is quite poor and so as a result we have struggled to break down stubborn teams that sit back.
  • HINTS OF PROBLEMS WITH 2 STRIKER FORMATIONS: Against Everton, QPR and Yeovil they deployed 2 striker formations that created issues for us when teams hit us on the counter attack
  • HAVE NOT YET PLAYED A TRADITIONAL BIG SIDE: Everton are a recent top 4 side in my game and therefore are the largest team we have faced currently.
  • MY TEAM IS NOT OPTIMISED TO THE TACTICS: I need more transfer windows to sort this out as it is a recent tactic I have put together

Why post with these issues? To provide a base tactic for those who also dislike strikerless etc. formations and to hear the opinions and thoughts of other forum members who may be more experienced than I as to how I could improve the tactic

COMMENTS AND THOUGHTS: On Various Parts

GK: Simple goalkeeper setting because I feel sweeper keepers present more issues than solutions on this game. My goalkeeper has the instruction to roll it out and distribute to the playmaker so we can start attacks at the back.

RB/LB: Complete wing backs to take advantage of the space opened by our attacking inside forwards. GOOD PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES, WORK RATE AND DETERMINATION ARE A MUST.
When facing teams with good wide players or a tougher opponent or if I simply want to be cautious, I change this to wing back with a support (S) function.

CB: Simple centre backs with a defend duty. I dislike the stopper/cover role as I feel it sucks players out of position and that does not suit the structured approach to defending.

CDM: This is a key role, I use a deep lying playmaker with a defend duty to screen the defence, as our wing backs will be attacking minded, and mop up loose balls between the opposition’s box and the halfway line to maintain pressure.
If we need the CDM to be further forward/taking a more proactive role, I have changed his role from defend (D) to support (S).

CM (B2B): Box to box midfielder, he will be all over the pitch helping out. In order to counteract the inevitable roaming he carries out as part of the role, I have instructed him to close down less, therefore creating a good triangular base from which our midfield defends.
If we need more attacks, I will bring on Ravel Morrison who is attacking minded and has a lot of flair, likewise for defending I push Neves to here and bring in McHugh at CDM.

CM (AP): The main attacking creator in the final third, as the CDM is on a defend duty this guy will be the main creative force. He is also instructed to close down less for similar reasons as the B2B.

LW/RW: Inside forward on attack. they will be cutting in and looking to operate in and around the box, with the wing backs supplying the crosses/width.

ST: THIS POSITION IS NOT YET OPTIMISED (in my opinion). The idea I had was someone coming deep occasionally to assist the AP and create the space for the inside forwards to score goals while making sure he is also in the box if the wing backs cross etc.

With regard to the instructions I will group my thoughts into the following categories:

• Less closing down + Stick to positions: simply put I want a base from which the attackers will not be given openings to take advantage because someone has followed their man too far. I aim for clearly defined positions when in defence with people covering their areas of the pitch (i.e. more zonal than man marking).
  • Short passing + retain possession + play out of defence: If we have the ball they can’t hurt us. We are looking to play it short and work our way across the pitch and ensure that we control the tempo of the game. I HAVE TURNED OFF “WORK BALL INTO BOX”. I feel this instruction slows the play down too much and therefore allows the opposition time to reorganise their defence.
  • Normal tempo + normal back line + balanced width: I use these because I see these as my “default” settings coming into matches and I can adapt accordingly.

IN GAME CHANGES: Adapting to the match

• Backfoot/Underdog etc. mentality
    If we are on the backfoot I seek to slow down the tempo to ensure we don’t rush the time we have with the ball and make the right passes not the rushed ones. I see it as being more important that we work even harder to control the game and a slower tempo forces my team to be patient and take a breath before passing.
  • Favourites/breaking down tough sides
    Currently I have pushed up the backline and switched my CDM to a support role as well as bought on an attacking CM for the box to box role. This encourages us to play higher up the pitch and increase the pressure on the side. If we are still struggling and can’t force a way through I look at playing more direct passing. I SENSE THAT A STRIKER ROLE CHANGE IS ALSO NEEDED BUT HAVE NOT YET FOUND AN IDEAL ROLE TO CHANGE HIM TO.
The images below are: The tactic overview, the instructions screen, average positions overall, average positions without the ball, average positions with the ball and lastly a passing overview, the results so far and lastly stats for those results.

Thanks for reading and/or downloading, please let me know of any thoughts and I'll try reply ASAP to any queries.

DOWNLOAD LINK --->>> HYPOCRITICAL FOOTBALL

Last edited: