I did not want to leave - Carroll

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Andy Carroll, who joined Liverpool in a £35m transfer deadline day move, insists he did not want to leave Newcastle.

More...

Sure Andy.

No-one said you had to agree terms with Liverpool......

Why should he be allowed to want to move to a bigger club and get higher wages, whats wrong with that ?
As if he forced newcastle to accept the bid, the transfer request was just to soften the blow for the fans, 35mill for a player worth 15mill like any team would reject that

Of course he didn't want to leave, he's just a greedy disloyal ****.

Or maybe your club forced him out due to the massive amount of money being offered?

I'm not saying that's what definitely happened, but it's a highly likely possibility.

Concentrate on your club NOW, Andy.

Precisely! lets not bore everyone with the situation!

Its happened, everyone has made their own statements, lets get down to kicking the ball and getting on with the season.

Does he expect forgiveness, you wanted to be the next Alan Shearer, and left at the first opportunity?! Not very Shearer like is it Andy, just move on and applaud the Newcastle fans when they next see you, end of story.

I think he was forced out for the new lining of Ashleys pockets imo, but tbh it's getting boring now. He's gone-get behind your club for the rest of the season.

if you think about it, maybe carroll was doing it because he knows that he isnt worth 35million, and he knows that newcastle might just be better with 35 million to spend on other players - more than likely coming out stronger.

could be the case.

Yeah, and I'm the Tooth Fairy....

Or maybe your club forced him out due to the massive amount of money being offered?

I'm not saying that's what definitely happened, but it's a highly likely possibility.
Agreed - Ashley only cares about himself and there was no way he was going to refuse such a big offer. Why else would Carroll be asked to hand in a transfer request? Ashley wanted to make it look like Carroll wanted to leave but Carroll refused to hand in request and since stated he didn't want to leave

Ashley is the biggest **** going

It's a possibility, and yes the money on the table will have eased things, but in my opinion this is down to his greed. He/his agent wanted an immediate pay rise, despite signing a 5.5 year contract in October at the peak of the wage cap, both sides agree on this fact. Using that as the starting point, mixed with the timing of this and his own admission of wanting the move as soon as he heard Liverpool were interested all make it look like his side engineered the move, unless he could massively break the wage cap. If he wanted to stay he could have easily - just make use of that piece of paper he signed in October.

Agreed - Ashley only cares about himself and there was no way he was going to refuse such a big offer. Why else would Carroll be asked to hand in a transfer request? Ashley wanted to make it look like Carroll wanted to leave but Carroll refused to hand in request and since stated he didn't want to leave

Ashley is the biggest **** going
Ashley is hardly 'the biggest **** going' mate, not in this instance anyway. If he doesn't pump a decent amount of that £35m back into the transfer market in the summer then yeah, your right, but Newcastle can bring in two, three, maybe even four top class players with this money, compared to having one striker upfront who's been overpriced due to his nationality and age.

Choose your pick really.

It's a possibility, and yes the money on the table will have eased things, but in my opinion this is down to his greed. He/his agent wanted an immediate pay rise, despite signing a 5.5 year contract in October at the peak of the wage cap, both sides agree on this fact. Using that as the starting point, mixed with the timing of this and his own admission of wanting the move as soon as he heard Liverpool were interested all make it look like his side engineered the move, unless he could massively break the wage cap. If he wanted to stay he could have easily - just make use of that piece of paper he signed in October.
It's all well and good saying it's for greed, but when your 21 years old and you haven't proven yourself in the Premier League, £35m is a HUGE price tag for them. Like I said in my last post, this money will help you in the future, and you'll stay up without Carroll anyway. I don't think Carroll's greedy to be honest. If he was greedy he'd of thrown a massive fit about it and handed in a transfer request after the £30m bid was rejected, surely?

At the end of the day Newcastle have got a massive transfer fee for a £10m value striker at most, and it's good business for the club.

Honestly, I'm baffled as to why people don't believe him? Sounds perfectly plausible to me. There's litterally no reason for him to come out and say this if he was the "disloyal ****" you guys say he is. This is going to put him in the Liverpool fans bad books. If he was forced to submit a transfer request, that is shocking. I think he was pushed, whenever I see the lad on the pitch he looks so passionate, seemed to me he wanted to emulate Shearer.

i think as a newcastle fan, that, if he really wanted to be the next alan shearer he would never have left.

Shearer was wanted by Man utd, the biggest team in england and he still said no even when he knew newcastle prob wouldnt win trophies, he wanted to try.

Andy carroll played well in the championship and was getting to be a good standard in the premier, but i didnt rate him that high. if Newcastle really wanted him out, wouldnt they have bought another striker rather then let andy carroll go on a day where they couldnt sign any?

people can sit saying he was right and that because of Mike Ashleys past, but i hate Mike ashley cos he will ruin the club, but i actually dont think he wanted to sell andy carroll. i think maybe, andy carroll was money hungry and thinks he is too good for his boots.

He will just be another Robbie Keane at Liverpool, an expensive signing who cant play or score.

No player who wants to stay would let them self be forced out.

They prob had enough of him moaning about wanting 50 grand a week and not waiting till the end of the season when they could offer him it.

Im sure if they got in to Europe he would get a better contract.

But he ran away to liverpool cos of being bullied out? Thats stupid.

Never mind, hopefully Newcastle stay up and bring in a top notch set of players to make themselves a better team again.

tbh I would have forced him out too, Newcastle got 35m for him, they could probably spend that money on 2-3 good players, Newcastle would have been foolish to reject that offer tbh

It isnt un Heard of, Did he force the move...? NO. The offer was accepted he spoke to Liverpool. Cant blame him 35million is a lot of money, Toon should be happy.

i think as a newcastle fan, that, if he really wanted to be the next alan shearer he would never have left.

Shearer was wanted by Man utd, the biggest team in england and he still said no even when he knew newcastle prob wouldnt win trophies, he wanted to try.

Andy carroll played well in the championship and was getting to be a good standard in the premier, but i didnt rate him that high. if Newcastle really wanted him out, wouldnt they have bought another striker rather then let andy carroll go on a day where they couldnt sign any?

people can sit saying he was right and that because of Mike Ashleys past, but i hate Mike ashley cos he will ruin the club, but i actually dont think he wanted to sell andy carroll. i think maybe, andy carroll was money hungry and thinks he is too good for his boots.

He will just be another Robbie Keane at Liverpool, an expensive signing who cant play or score.

No player who wants to stay would let them self be forced out.

They prob had enough of him moaning about wanting 50 grand a week and not waiting till the end of the season when they could offer him it.

Im sure if they got in to Europe he would get a better contract.

But he ran away to liverpool cos of being bullied out? Thats stupid.

Never mind, hopefully Newcastle stay up and bring in a top notch set of players to make themselves a better team again.
Back when United wanted Shearer, Newcastle were a lot more financially secure and the footballing climate wasn't as crazy as it is now, and quite frankly Newcastle didn't really have any need to sell Shearer for big money. Ashley probably didn't want to sell Carroll but for £35m he has absolutely no choice. For that amount of money for a 21 year old striker who hasn't even proven themselves in the Premier League, it's just impossible to reject.

I stand by my opinion of Carroll not being greedy. If he was greedy he would of gone crazy when you rejected the £30m offer from Liverpool and asked to leave. You could say Ashley rejected that because he didn't want to lose him, or you could say he was trying to negotiate an even better deal for the club and get the most money out of a desperate Liverpool side as he could.

We'll never know the truth behind all of this, it'll be a matter of 'he said this, but..' and 'well I never said that, but..' etc etc. In my opinion, Ashley got the most money out of the transfer as he could because he knew Liverpool were desperate as Torres was leaving and he knew they'd pay a ridiculous amount of money for Carroll. I don't think he wanted Carroll out, not at all, but Ashley doesn't want to give a pay rise to a striker who hasn't even proven himself at this level yet. Why does he deserve a pay rise? Did he even really ask for another pay rise?

We'll never know. Point is your club got an amazing deal for a decent young striker and you should be over the moon as you can really improve your squad now and establish your club again.