Reaction score
Note: The 'manager' in this story is a fictional character and has no resemblance to any individual.

Thursday 13th October 2011: Dover announce Kim Wong as manager!

View attachment 276672

Dover Athletic Football Club have today announced the appointment of Sum Kim Wong as there new manager. The former Chinese international, who scored 20 goals in 42 international appearances is reported to be delighted at being announced as the new manager at the Crabble Athletic Ground.

Dover have struggled this season currently finding themselves in 17th position after 13 games. Being just 6 points of the play off's Kim Wong has set his players the challenge of being in the play off's come the end of the season.

View attachment 276673

Squad

View attachment 276674

As you can see from the report my assistant manager Nicky Eaden gave me, the squad at Dover is not as strong as I would have hoped. Saying that though the main 'core' (GK, DC, DMC, MC, ST) of my team are all rated 4 stars or above which is rather promising. Taking that into consideration the positions that I am looking to strengthen are; DR, DL, AMR, AML.

Jim Parmenter, the Dover Athletic chairman has given me a transfer budget of ?5,000 and a wage budget of ?6,129 to make any changes to the squad. With the previous management using up ?5,865 of the wage budget it left me with just ?264 per week left in the wage budget. Unless I manage to offload a few players I will be looking into the loan market to strengthen my squad.

My aim is to update at the end of every month in the game. Any comments negative or positive will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Good luck, look forward to seeing how you do :)

October 2011

Saturday 15th October 2011
FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
Dover Athletic 1 - 3 Folkestone Invicta
Purcell 89 O'Brien 36, 63
Jameson 45

Saturday 22nd October 2011
Blue Square South
Dover Athletic 2 - 2 Eastbourne Borough
Walker 15 Rook 26
Purcell 28 Johnson 86

View attachment 276897

Formation and Tactics

View attachment 276898 View attachment 276899 View attachment 276900

Transfers

After taking a closer look at the squad I decided to release three of my Non Contract players. The main decision to released these was based on the fact that none of the three where rated highly enough to be challenging for a starting place. They are also easier and less expensive to release than players that are on Part Time or Full Time contracts. The three players that I have released are:

Michael Jones
Liam Wilkinson
Alex Whittle

After the signing of Steve Meechan I also decided to release Ben Wilkinson as he was no longer needed as there were already enough players in that position. At the end of October Ben went on a 2 week trial with Basingstoke.

View attachment 276901 View attachment 276902 View attachment 276903 View attachment 276904

I also managed to strengthen my squad by signing young Scottish centre midfielder Steve Meechan on Non Contract terms. He was originally signed to strengthen the depth of the squad but after an injury to Glen Southam he will become a more regular player in the first team.

Steve Meechan (MC)

View attachment 276906 View attachment 276905

As both my left backs were injured I decided to sign Wrexham's Johnny Hunt on a months loan to offer some cover in that position. In the Folkestone Invicta FA Cup match I fielded Youth Team player Joe Wheeler at left back as I had no other option and he was the first choice left back for the Youth Team.

View attachment 276907

I also increased my attacking options by signing Adam Roberts and George Lloyd on a months loan from Macclesfield and Gloucester. With George Purcell and Donovan Simmonds currently playing well Adam and George will be used mostly from the bench.

View attachment 276909 View attachment 276908

Unfortunately my attempts to sign a number of players had to be put on hold due to there work permits being rejected.

View attachment 276912 View attachment 276911 View attachment 276910

Staff

During the month I made a variety of changes to the back room staff at the club. One of the first things I noticed when I arrived at the club was that my players weren't fit enough and that there was quite a few injuries. To try and solve this I released my Non Contract physio, Frank Clarke who only had a physiotherapy rating of 4 and replaced him with Steve Whitehall who has a physiotherapy rating of 20.

View attachment 276914 View attachment 276913

The club also didn't have any type of scout at the club to report on opposition teams and to find new players for the club. I solved this by signing 61 year old scout Mal Liptrott on Non Contract terms. To improve the fitness and condition of the squad, which I talked about above I decided to sign fitness coach Paul Carty. I also employed Kevin Donovan as another coach to help out my assistant with the day to day coaching.

View attachment 276915 View attachment 276916 View attachment 276917

Other News

One of my first jobs after my appointment was to choose who I wanted to be new captain and vice captain. I decided to appoint Glen Southam as my new captain. The decision was based on the fact that his influence attribute was pretty high and with him hopefully being a regular starter he will be able to lead the team well on the pitch. I also decided to appoint my current No 1 Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz as vice captain for the remainder of the season.

View attachment 276918 View attachment 276919

Abit of bad news that during our game against Eastbourne Borough our captain Glen Southam had to go off injured. After the game it was revealed that he had suffered a broken toe and would be out of action for around 2-3 months.

In the draw for the FA Trophy Dover were drawn away to Waltham Forest of the Isthmian D1N.

View attachment 276920