MrManunav

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was going to post this on the "rant" thread, but since it's closed I'll just post it here. I'm going to give my insight about FM17 and why I feel like I've been robbed by paying for this game.

First of all I wanna say that I'm a huge FM fan ever since I was 10 believe it or not, by that time I watched my bro play it all the time, and it felt so different from the same old FIFA that I decided to give it a try, and I never looked back since. Every single year since FM10 this game had me as a customer, and it was always worth it... Until now.

For some reason, I feel like the AI has been completely revamped in FM17, making it a whole lot different from its predecessors, and a lot harder. I was never very good at the game, only decent and winning a few trophies here and there, but right now I struggle to win just two matches in a row. It's ridiculous. I usually play a simple 4-2-3-1 with wingers, a tactic that is REALISTIC and used A LOT in real life, with one defensive minded midfielder, a box-to-box and an attacking minded midfielder, where the wingers try and open spaces through their pace, flair and cross, and the striker is always there to finish it in the box. Pretty standard right?? So tell me why the **** does this not work in FM17?? I mean it does work for 2 or 3 games, but then the opposition AI somehow manages to predict every instruction you select and you just get outplayed. And when I don't get outplayed, the opponent goalkeeper suddenly transofms into God. There are managers in real life who NEVER change their tactics and still win, but in FM noooo, you have to change your tactics every single month to win. Then what happens when you don't win?? It's because you always change tactics and the players are not comfortable lol, it's ridiculous. I even tried watching full games to understand what was the problem, but my defense is always a czech ***** no matter what I change, and the forwards are so, so so wank it's unbelievable.

And before anyone says "Mate the problem is your knowledge of football is the same as my knowledge of farming", remember I was actually able to win trophies on this game when I was 10 years old lol, I don't think I've gone back in my football knowledge 8 years later. I doubt I'm the only one going through this, but it costs a whole lot more when I realise I actually paid for this. Please tell me if you have the same problem, or if you don't have it just tell me the way you play this game to win (if you study opponents, tweek tactics etc.) because the problem may be mine. Have a nice day

I feel you man, I really do... this year's edition is, excuse me french, ****** up. Been trying for ages to create a 4123 and a 4231 and even with top teams I struggle playing with this formation. I feel it's very unbalanced. Maybe the devs made the 3 at the back tactics OP because of Chelsea playing a 343 (sort of, only on paper) and winning the league. I stopped playing this version. I am seriously thinking to go back to fm15 which in my opinion has the best match engine. I think all of us know the flaws of fm16.

I agree 4123 is also ****** up, I use it when I'm a small team and try to park the bus against the big ones, and when I do it the players are all so static it's unbelievable. The match preparation is sooo useless, I can train my team's defending for a whole month and my defense will still allow through balls as if they're made of butter lol. And I don't know about you, but in order to score a goal from a set piece I need to train set pieces for a whole month and then the players just forget how to play football without free-kicks or corners ahah, it's utterly ridiculous.
As for 3 defenders, I don't know, I've only used it a couple of times when I wasn't winning and I actually managed to win a few games and the attacking was good, but the defending was so shocking it gave me nightmares lol. Sports Interactive have a lot to sort out.

First things first there is a Post your frustrations thread for stuff like this

second 4-2-3-1 definitely million percent works I use it all the time and win regular. Sounds like a tactical issue maybe post some screenshots and we can help you sift through your tactical issue.

third if you really are struggling there are some killer help threads here on base, try Manumads box of choccies, some great stuff in there with lots of reading material from all time greats on tactical approaches for FM.

The game has evolved that you are correct on that but bit of homework and take on some advice I bet we can help you find your love for the game again and you will lose untold hours of your life

There is? Sorry mate I wasn't aware, I only saw a "rant" thread and it was closed so I created this. Yes I'm new here xD

4231 has always worked for me every year. This year it also worked on my Sporting save but only after I spent a lot of money on quality players to wipe the portuguese league. After that, I tried it on two lower league saves and failed, now I'm using West Ham, same. I can't quite say what my tactical issue is because I'm forced to change the strategy due to the opposition AI being so OP.

Maybe I'll look at some help threads if they're useful. I have to figure out some way to exploit the opposition's weaknesses rather than they doing it to me. Anyway thanks for the help mate, I'll see what I can do ;)

There is? Sorry mate I wasn't aware, I only saw a "rant" thread and it was closed so I created this. Yes I'm new here xD

4231 has always worked for me every year. This year it also worked on my Sporting save but only after I spent a lot of money on quality players to wipe the portuguese league. After that, I tried it on two lower league saves and failed, now I'm using West Ham, same. I can't quite say what my tactical issue is because I'm forced to change the strategy due to the opposition AI being so OP.

Maybe I'll look at some help threads if they're useful. I have to figure out some way to exploit the opposition's weaknesses rather than they doing it to me. Anyway thanks for the help mate, I'll see what I can do ;)

honestly try that thread, I am pretty sure it has some PDF links to some stuff Cleon wrote about building a tactic, it totally reshaped how I view tactics in the game. Bit nerdy but **** it we wouldn't be playing FM if we all wasn't nerds right haha

I have found this too. This is the tactic I use, and have done for the last 3 seasons or so.
My suspicions came about last season when I was on a good run, and came up against a team in the relegation zone. (Was playing as Man Utd, BTW). I put out my regualr, strongest team and lost 3-0. Really peeved at this, I reloaded the save from just before that game. Played exactly the same, and lost again, 4-1. I loaded again, and lost again. I repeated this process (interspersing it with holidays using the same line-up & tactics). It took me over 20 attempts to even get a draw. The following set of 3-4 games followed the same pattern.
I have experienced this on this season's game with numerous saves (Man Utd, WBA, Everton, Eastleigh).
I am now of the firm belief that if you are on a really good, long run of form, then the game is determined to put you on a bad one, no matter how hard you try, with the odds of good result getting increasingly long.

I have found this too. This is the tactic I use, and have done for the last 3 seasons or so.
My suspicions came about last season when I was on a good run, and came up against a team in the relegation zone. (Was playing as Man Utd, BTW). I put out my regualr, strongest team and lost 3-0. Really peeved at this, I reloaded the save from just before that game. Played exactly the same, and lost again, 4-1. I loaded again, and lost again. I repeated this process (interspersing it with holidays using the same line-up & tactics). It took me over 20 attempts to even get a draw. The following set of 3-4 games followed the same pattern.
I have experienced this on this season's game with numerous saves (Man Utd, WBA, Everton, Eastleigh).
I am now of the firm belief that if you are on a really good, long run of form, then the game is determined to put you on a bad one, no matter how hard you try, with the odds of good result getting increasingly long.

The say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Maybe the problem isn't with the game, but with your approach to the situation?

The say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Maybe the problem isn't with the game, but with your approach to the situation?

Although on FM, ya can do the same and get different results

Hey Mike? Can we re-open the frustrations thread now? I much prefer this nonsense to be lumped in one easy to ignore thread :p