Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that the Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
Stepping Into Management - Following The Special One

Robbie Thomson
Born: 28th August 1982
Nationality: Scottish
Favourite Club: Liverpool

Many great managers have an unfulfilled playing career behind them. Few greats have never played. Son a former Scottish international goalkeeper - Robbie Thomson never set out to pursue a career in professional football as a player. Instead, he followed football vividly from a young age; learning many foreign languages and studying tactical analysis vigorously in his father's company. At the age of 29, Thomson has thrown himself into the managerial ring - with no experience behind him. He has told of his ambition to achieve success all across Europe, with different clubs - building his experience on a constant basis - in the hope that one day he will take the reigns at his beloved Liverpool FC and set them as England's dominant force, once again.

Reaction score
THOMSON APPOINTED AGOVV APELDOORN BOSS

View attachment 342316
The appointment of a relatively unknown Scot as the new manager of Dutch Jupiler League side, AGOVV Apeldoorn has bemused much of the Dutch press. 29 year-old Robbie Thomson had notably thrown his hat into the ring for a few vacant positions, but after discussions with his family and meetings with the board, he has decided to take the reigns with a one-year contract. Many pundits are tipping AGOVV to only narrowly avoid relegation this season, but Thomson is intent on pushing for a minimum of a top-half finish, with a potential play-off place in sight. An official press conference is expected in the next 48 hours.

View attachment 342318

Reaction score
Introduction

View attachment 344866
In short, I have started a career with automatic playing experience, with eight nations selected (all divisions/large database) across Europe. The nations are England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Scotland, Spain. I applied for all vacant managerial positions at the beginning of the game (Coventry City, Lincoln City, Luton Town, Swindon Town, Oldham Athletic, Hayes & Yeading, Santa Clara *Portugal*, Mirandela *Portugal* and AGOVV Apeldoorn *Holland*). The only clubs to offer me a job were Hayes & Yeading, Santa Clara, Mirandela and AGOVV Apeldoorn. They were the most reputable side that offered me a job - so I accepted.

A Little Bit About The Club

View attachment 344950

Key Players

View attachment 344951View attachment 344952

The two men above are my captain, Peter Reekers, and our left-back, Gieljan Tissingh. Clearly, they will both play pivotal roles and they are two players I will definitely hold on to and both will feature is an integral part of the side, with the team being build around them.

Upcoming Fixtures

View attachment 344953

I will look to post monthly updates on the progress of my side and my management - posting notable updates and football occurrences in-between. This is the first story I have done on here and I thought it would make for an interesting read. I hope you will follow and enjoy my road to (hopeful) success! As a first-time story-poster, any feedback would be welcome. Cheers! Let's do this!

Reaction score
Pre-Season Update

Results

View attachment 346392

Transfers

View attachment 346394

Staff Changes

View attachment 346395

Key Signing

View attachment 346396

I will look for Dominique van Dijk to offer a crucial impact of creativity in his AP Attacking Midfield role in my primary 4-2-3-1 set-up. His experience will be very beneficial, provided his fitness worries don't catch up with him. As you can see, I have implemented my own backroom team at the club, as I like to bring my own staff with me when taking over new clubs - and the members appointed seem suited to their roles - I have also always loathed the idea of a Director Of Football at any club. Onwards and upwards, first competitive game in management is a home league game against Fortuna Sittard. Here we go!