SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
I got a decent 4-3-3(4-1-2-2-1). It's actually Great! CCC's Galore!

After the 5638364765584th try i got the 4-3-3 working Great!. I did this with Sporting Lisbon, so i understand that the League is quite easy to win but still i had decent results against decent international opposition.
So for the tactic here it is

View attachment 344687

I wanted to play a short passing game but i didn't want to have a "limited" passing range so i didn't put retain possesion as i wanted my more creative players to attempt long balls.
I also wanted to play a lower tempo and wait for the opportunity for that perfect run from and off the ball player to unlock the defense.

One of the great surprises of this tactic was the involvement of the TM in the Build up play. The more Work rate, teamwork and Heading (Passes to him will often be lobbed balls) the better as he'll drop deeper and do some wicked combinations with the Wingers and the CM(a) who is another extremely important player.

Now the Results
View attachment 344685 View attachment 344684 View attachment 344683 View attachment 344682

Note for the Away Europa Leagu games.. i did not use this tactic for those games, as i entered with the advantage and tried to counter (still have no idea how to put a decent counter tactic together though)

and some games
View attachment 344681 View attachment 344680 View attachment 344679

I take back what i said before the tactic is great, here are some second season results
View attachment 343180 View attachment 343179 View attachment 343178 View attachment 343177 View attachment 343175View attachment 343174 View attachment 343173

For the first time i got to double digit CCC's

PS: Forgot to tell but i used the LFC Marshall update

Edit: download link (not sure how this is done, if it does not work tell me)
4-3-3 Zbordem.tac - Speedy Share - upload your files here

Last edited:
Will use this with roma and update shortly look promising

Please Report some results as this is the first tactic i upload and i don't want to make a fool out of myself hahaha.
Also make sure your TM as good teamwork and workrate as i think that they are both crucial.

Last edited:
Are you portuguese? calling the tactic "zbordem" haha slimani was your top scorer? how the goals are distributed?

You can upload it on here too, just upload picture but select tactic file and it will create a link on here.

Are you portuguese? calling the tactic "zbordem" haha slimani was your top scorer? how the goals are distributed?

I'm half Portuguese, i'm a Benfica fan but i do like doing saves with Sporting because of the incredible Portuguese talent there (William is just Incredible).

As for stats here you go (season Overall)

Slimani (TM(s)) - 29(15) games - 17 goals - 14 assists - 7.22 avg rating
Montero (TM(s)) - 24(12) games - 13 goals - 4 assists - 6.92 avg rating
Carrillo (RW(a)) - 37(4) games - 18 goals - 15 assists - 7.36 avg rating
Mané (RW(a)) - 20(16) games - 7 goals - 6 assists - 7.03 avg rating
Capel (LW(a)) - 37(4) games - 14 goals - 16 assists - 7.16 avg rating
Gauld LW(a)) - 17(16) games - 10 goals - 3 assists - 7.03 avg rating
João Mário (Mainly CM(a)) - 31(3) games - 11 goals - 10 assists - 7.38 avg rating
Andre Martins (both CM and DLP) - 27(12) games - 4 goals - 14 assists - 7.26 avg rating

sorry for no screenshot, i have no idea how to see past season stats all in one page

I thought i was decent.. it's actually great, unbeaten second season 83 goals in 30 games n the league

After the 5638364765584th try i got the 4-3-3 working decently. I'm not saying it's a monster tactic, in fact i'm here asking for help so i can improve it. I did this with Sporting Lisbon, so i understand that the League is quite easy to win but still i had decent results against decent international opposition.
So for the tactic here it is

View attachment 669571

I wanted to play a short passing game but i didn't want to have a "limited" passing range so i didn't put retain possesion as i wanted my more creative players to attempt long balls.
I also wanted to play a lower tempo and wait for the opportunity for that perfect run from and off the ball player to unlock the defense.

One of the great surprises of this tactic was the involvement of the TM in the Build up play. The more Work rate, teamwork and Heading (Passes to him will often be lobbed balls) the better as he'll drop deeper and do some wicked combinations with the Wingers and the CM(a) who is another extremely important player.

Now the Results
View attachment 669577 View attachment 669580 View attachment 669583 View attachment 669584

Note for the Away Europa Leagu games.. i did not use this tactic for those games, as i entered with the advantage and tried to counter (still have no idea how to put a decent counter tactic together though)

and some games
View attachment 669587 View attachment 669588 View attachment 669589

Now i'm here to ask for Help because i'm entering my second season and we all know that tactics don't work for more than 1 season lol.

PS: Forgot to tell but i used the LFC Marshall update

Edit: download link (not sure how this is done, if it does not work tell me)
4-3-3 Zbordem.tac - Speedy Share - upload your files here

That looks like a solid tactic. You've thought about how to break the opposition's lines with the Target Man dropping deep to take part in build-up play to work the ball wide before hitting the front to get on the end of crosses. And your Central Midfielder_Attack is presumably making runs beyond the TM into the channels and through the middle.

You mentioned that you don't set Retain Possession in your Team Instructions. I have Shorter Passing and Retain Possession, but I also tell them to Exploit The Flanks and Play Wider and instruct my central midfielders to Play More Direct Passes. This means that the team generally plays a short-passing, possession game, but when the opportunity arises the midfielders can switch the play quickly either to release a winger on the opposite flank where there is more space to attack, or to launch counter-attacks.

I'd say that yours is a very good tactic to have within your arsenal, but if you find that results start drying up you may want to do what I do and have three sets of tactics on the go at once, which you can switch between from match-to-match as you think best to take on each opponent and to rotate your squad. Your team would probably be well-suited to my 4-4-1-1, which I have written about in detail here:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

Just read the Opening Post to begin with but if that's of interest to you, then you'll find other links within the rest of the thread to my other tactics and threads around this site which you might also find helpful in developing additional formations.

That looks like a solid tactic. You've thought about how to break the opposition's lines with the Target Man dropping deep to take part in build-up play to work the ball wide before hitting the front to get on the end of crosses. And your Central Midfielder_Attack is presumably making runs beyond the TM into the channels and through the middle.

You mentioned that you don't set Retain Possession in your Team Instructions. I have Shorter Passing and Retain Possession, but I also tell them to Exploit The Flanks and Play Wider and instruct my central midfielders to Play More Direct Passes. This means that the team generally plays a short-passing, possession game, but when the opportunity arises the midfielders can switch the play quickly either to release a winger on the opposite flank where there is more space to attack, or to launch counter-attacks.

I'd say that yours is a very good tactic to have within your arsenal, but if you find that results start drying up you may want to do what I do and have three sets of tactics on the go at once, which you can switch between from match-to-match as you think best to take on each opponent and to rotate your squad. Your team would probably be well-suited to my 4-4-1-1, which I have written about in detail here:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

Just read the Opening Post to begin with but if that's of interest to you, then you'll find other links within the rest of the thread to my other tactics and threads around this site which you might also find helpful in developing additional formations.

I tried your 4-4-1-1 and it's amazing, it's the one tactic that i downloaded and i won almost every single time, and actually somethings i put in this tactic are based on yours lol.

About the retain possesion instruction, i feel that the last time i used it it ruined Ozil for me, as he attempted only 5 yard sideway passes, even though i had more direct passes on his instructions and sometimes i really struggled to breakdown teams who parked the Bus.

Have you tried my tactic? I've been very sucessful with it and it's solid everywhere and it a CCC galore.. i'd say this season i avaeraged about 5 or 6 CCC's per game.. I Shall be putting some screenshots later.. I'd really like to see if this worked for other people as well.

I tried your 4-4-1-1 and it's amazing, it's the one tactic that i downloaded and i won almost every single time, and actually somethings i put in this tactic are based on yours lol.

About the retain possesion instruction, i feel that the last time i used it it ruined Ozil for me, as he attempted only 5 yard sideway passes, even though i had more direct passes on his instructions and sometimes i really struggled to breakdown teams who parked the Bus.

Have you tried my tactic? I've been very sucessful with it and it's solid everywhere and it a CCC galore.. i'd say this season i avaeraged about 5 or 6 CCC's per game.. I Shall be putting some screenshots later.. I'd really like to see if this worked for other people as well.

I'm happy to hear that you based your idea on my 4-4-1-1. That is how this Forum really comes into its own, with people understanding each other's ideas and then incorporating parts into their own thinking of the football they want their team to play and tailoring to their own squad. I think you get far more from FM that way than via the plug-and-play-for-instant-results method.

If not using Retain Possession gets the best out of Ozil then you're probably right to keep it switched off. For teams that are difficult to break down, I also switch it off and start to play with Higher Tempo and Be More Expressive. Getting the best out of as many of your best players as possible is key to doing well in this game.

I haven't tried your tactic as such, although I used to have a similar one which I referred to as 4-5-1 V-Shaped Midfield (until another user pointed out that was a 4-3-3). I had an Advanced Playmaker_Attack where your CM is and the frontman was a Complete Forward_Support. It worked well for a while, but I came away from it as the make-up of my squad changed.

I operate three sets of tactics at a time and usually swap one of them each summer. At the moment, I'm switching between 3-5-2 with a flat midfield 5, that tried-and-tested 4-4-1-1 (with a new 6ft4in Portuguese forward having taken over the Shadow Striker role from the now departed Jay Rodriguez) and my '4-5-1 Wingers High' that's more like 4-2DM-1MC-2W-1CF. It is most effective against the stronger teams, like Chelsea and Manchester United, who play 4-2-3-1 because it congests the area that their No.10 and his wider counterparts want to play in while keeping my boys primed to counter-attack, often with Luke Shaw overlapping from left-back with the right-footed Croatian Karlo Lulic ahead of him as an Inside-Forward_Support.

Of my three, the 3-5-2 is the one that's starting to wobble and not deliver the same dominant performances that it used to, although results are still good. I will persevere for a while though, because it allows a genuine two up-front and I have two excellent Academy Grads who can play the left-footed Advanced Forward_Attack role while my other forwards are happy in the False-9 role alongside the AF. Having separate systems with and without full-backs also helps with squad rotation.

I think a genuine Regista would improve upon '4-5-1 Wingers High', so if I can sign one in the summer I might also revisit your 4-3-3 and try the Regista behind a Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend and Advanced Playmaker_Attack.

This tactic needs more awareness, its effing brilliant, im liverpool and have played 10 games, unbeaten, have been drawn with real Madrid & psg in the champions league, beat both 1-0, the odds were stacked against us, also beat city at their ground 3-1, first save iv enjoyed in a long time, ill get some screens up later, thank you :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Forgot to say Coutinho is a beast in the lcm position, sturridge is doing good as the targetman as well

This tactic needs more awareness, its effing brilliant, im liverpool and have played 10 games, unbeaten, have been drawn with real Madrid & psg in the champions league, beat both 1-0, the odds were stacked against us, also beat city at their ground 3-1, first save iv enjoyed in a long time, ill get some screens up later, thank you :)

I'm thinking about posting a new thread with a new name lol, also i think that in the right back instructions, pass shorter is not ticked. not that it makes that much difference, but still.

Glad it's working

Yes your right, i ticked so that it was the same as lb

Yes your right, i ticked so that it was the same as lb

How is Sturridge working for you?? I feel this tactic works best with a TM who has high workrate and teamwork. Look at the stats from my 2nd season on the original post and you'll see the diference in assists, and Key Passes between Slimani (16 TeamWork,19 Workrate) and Barbosa/Montero.

Brilliantly, has scored 8 goals in 9 games, lambert hasn't done that well as backup, i started a new normal game, i have been playing fmc, tho lately been struggling with interest & patience, so i see your tactic & thought id give it a go with lfc Marshall update, so far its been the most iv enjoyed the game for a couple of months.