I have a problem...

snitch91

Reaction score
Hello, everyone... I bought the game a few days ago, but i have a biiiiiiig problem. Especially in the last two editions (FM 22 and FM 21) I play with same tactics. 4-4-2 with TM... BUT ! Unfortunately, something is not working for me here. I used to be a monster defensively and now it's the opposite... I also think that I don't score enough goals. it's not normal to struggle with average teams (Lokomotiv Sofia, Arda and Lokomotiv Plovdiv)... Whats wrong with my tactics ? I think to change Winger (Support) to Winger (Attack) but...

tactics.jpg

Hello.
There are few issues I can notice, first one is lack of familiarity with tactics. Your midfield is not very familiar with how you want them to play. They need more time to adopt to your tactic.

Second one is you're giving up most of the pitch because you're in a low block. Unfortunately, match engine highly favors high line and pressing so you'll always be in disadvantage if you try anything else.

You're playing narrow while you have fullbacks, wingers and a targetman. Issue is both fullbacks and wingers need space to cross the ball, and by narrowing the width when you attack, it makes your players easier to mark and your targetman slightly less effective.

Focusing play is a great way to exploit weakness in your opponents team, but setting it out from minute one usually makes the other parts of your team less effective. You have a deep lying playmaker in the middle of the pitch, but you're instructing your team to ignore him. You might as well use different role for him. Also, continuously focusing the flanks, or middle, is going to make your players exhaust faster.

I'd also re-think about your striker roles. What do you want from them? What is a job of a poacher in a defensive minded team? You have targetman, but you're playing short passing game. If you want someone who can hold the ball while the rest of the cavalry arrives, wouldn't deep lying forward be better? Or even complete forward on support? It would bring some creativity into the team as well ( Llorente is a perfectly good player for that).

The more I think the more I feel it is really unbalanced and its breaking some basic principles of FM.

Good luck, if you want some tips, just ask. I tried not to say "what would I do" too much, because in the end, it should be your tactic. If you're not comfortable with your own tactics, you can always download someone elses and see how they set up and then apply that to your own.

Yeah, makes more sense. Should get you some counter-attacking football. Just be careful with focusing on playing on one side, because you'll get your players exhausted and it makes AI easier to adopt because you become predictable.

Best time to set up "focus through the middle" is when you see that their midfield is struggling. However, give your players some time to adapt to your tactic, try different roles for them and try to think what works and what does not.

Yeah, makes more sense. Should get you some counter-attacking football. Just be careful with focusing on playing on one side, because you'll get your players exhausted and it makes AI easier to adopt because you become predictable.

Best time to set up "focus through the middle" is when you see that their midfield is struggling. However, give your players some time to adapt to your tactic, try different roles for them and try to think what works and what does not.
Thanks man ! Greetings from Bulgaria ! :)