Vinnie.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have started dozens of save games, tried all kinds of formation and playing styles, read a lot of threads and articles about tactics, ... but I still don't manage to succeed at Football Manager. My team doesn't create enough CCCs (plenty of chances but most of them are long shots, blocked shots or half chances) and while I can restrict the opposition to a limited number of shots, they seem to score nearly every shot at goal/half chance.

I have started a new save as Everton and this time I really want to succeed. Going through pre-season, I am noticing the same things (alot of possession but no CCC, one shot one goal for the opposition).

This is my tactic at the moment. Please help!

View attachment 335439

Thanks in advance.

Vinnie.

That's a very attacking tactic, with a very high line considering your lack of pace in defence. Also perhaps try one of the wide men with a support duty if you aren't creating enough chances, to provide an extra creative source.

First of all, you play with a very high d-line but you wont play offside. Thats like using Per Mertesacker as winger (Believe it or not tho, Wenger actually did that when I played vs Arsenal during one of my Chelsea saves :D) Lower down your d-line a bit and start playing offside or then lower d-line considerably.

Slow things down aswell, so your players will be able to create better chances instead of just trying to create a chance as fast as possible. But if you want to play with quick tempo, then you should tick counter attacks on, it will boost your chances amount.

Looking at your tactic in the SS you have one full back on attacking and one on automatic, to my believe the automatic player in an attacking strategy would play as an attacking full back. Pair these with your high defensive line, you are leaving your two centre backs exposed at the back to fast strikers, balls in behind where the full backs should be etc. This in turn will leave your keeper in a fair amount of 1 on 1's etc.

This also leaves you with 5 attacking players, 2 supporting and 3 defensive outfield players, it contradicts the balanced style of play you are using and leaves you extremely vulnerable to counter attacks.

To lower the long shots, your would need to go into every player you do not want taking long shots and reduce this to rarely. This will hopefully see you playing more balls through to players in better positions for creating CCC's.

Thank you everyone! I will try all of your solutions and report back here.

@TheeRash: Only for Baines so he crosses from deep.

@Gump: The off-side box is normally on yes, but I've forgot to put it back in the SS.

Hey Vinnie how you getting on with your tweaks bud? hopefully you have seen some improvement.

I haven't had much playing time but the results in pre-season are better! I'll report back when I have played more.

fair enough mate, glad things have improved for preseason though, good luck!

I would leave the dlp as none,as he would get on the ball enough already.

looks like your getting decent results mate, well done.
I was a victim of creating alot of CCC's in every game but scoring very few goals from them, and after a discussion on here I learned that it is more important to create quality CCC's over a higher quantity so I would not worry too much about it aslong as you keep winning :).

Having a playmaker would result in your team being more dependant on that one player performing week in week out at the highest level as the players around him would be more keen to get him on the ball. It will increase the amount of passes that one specific player has.

Having no playmaker set allows the team to be more of a team and working as a group instead of heavily relying on one player. In my experience this is usually better but dont take that as gospel ive had many a playmaker in various tactics who have performed fantastically.

the choice is yours :p