I need a solid covering central defender for no more than about 12 million

c.b

Reaction score
I'm Arsenal in my first season, January transfer window. I play a system with one stopper and one covering defender. I'm more than loaded when it comes to stoppers with Koscielny, Vermaelen and Rami but I need a covering defender. Mertesacker is too slow and Djourou has too many mistakes in his game. Any suggestions?

I love Per and Vermaelen combo, but I obviously play Per at "defend". It's season 3 and I still play with both.

Get Sebastien Bassong!!! He is very cheap and will improve a lot if he plays regularly, got him 1st season on my Napoli save for £2.2m :)

Kurt Zouma, Raphael Verane, Davide Astori, Dede, Inigo Martinez, Neuton, Mamdou Sakho, Stephane Mbia, Nicolas N'Kolou, Stefan Reinartz, Georgio Chiellieni

Sakho, although he might be a little out of your price bracket. Vertonghen is a beast, or Shawcross.

You should buy Dedryk Boyata. I bought him for 4mill on my Barcelona save after his loan out finished. After played for one season, big clubs like Man Utd, Man City and Real Madrid want him for 12mill. (Depends on how regularly you put him in the game).

Well if you can't acquire any of the above suggestions; these are all very capable; Omer Toprak, Fontas and Xulu. Though they're the lower end of your budget and represent more value for money rather than top class CL-winners.

I love Vermaelen combo
[FONT=&#23435]
g.gif
[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]​

Bassong looks good but he's a Spurs reject and goes off to the African Cup of Nations.
Vertongen looks like Vermaelen with slightly better acceleration and worse mental stats.
Zouma's a bit too young.
I like Varane but he isn't leaving Real in January in his first season. Is it possible to sign him in the second?
Astori has the stats of a stopper and against looks like Vermaelen.
Dede's slightly too expensive, but I might be able to raise the funds for him.
Martinez - no.
Neuton looks like a possibility but his lack of aerial prowess is worrying and I've already got a pretty short team.
Sakho, possibly. Bit slow for my liking though.
Mbia looks good but again runs off to the African Cup.
Likewise Nkoulou.
My scouts warned my of Reinhartz inability to adapt.
Chielleini hilariously out of my price range.
Shawcross is hated by the gooners.
Toprak's lack of bravery is puzzling for a centre back.

I might just switch up my system and have both centre backs on 'defend' so I can play Kos/Verm/Rami together. Is the defence solid under these tactics? I have exams atm so I can't really afford to play any matches and get sucked in.

ive played many arsenal saves and i buy otamendi every time, please buy him hes to good!

Try to buy Kara from Tromso, and put Vermaelen to do the covering job, you might have problems to sign Kara because of the work license, but try any way.