I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

I'm enjoying this a lot. Looking forward to seeing what's next, I like the premise of your journey!

Glad you're enjoying it - I've always had saves where I've been at one club for ages, so jumping around the countries is a bit of a change but it is quite good fun. I'm just hoping at some point I get to manage a club I've actually heard of!!

images

October 2019

View attachment 95781 View attachment 95780

An early game in the month against Lokomotiv Plovdiv and then another 2 week international break. Yet another 1-1 draw, although we were rather fortunate with Dimitrov scoring his fourth of the season with our only shot on target although the draw comes at a cost as we lose DM Grigorov for 3 months as a result of ‘tackling’ in the game.

I’m quite liking the fact that every one of my games so far has been televised, bringing in £6.6k per game Given that my current wage figure is £5.3k, the TV money is essentially paying the wages of the squad and, at the moment, an overall balance of just over £100,000 which seems healthy.

I have a quick scout around the job-centre in the meantime although there’s nothing available. Varde IF and Rishoj in the Danish 2nd divisions have managers whose status’s are very insecure & insecure but other than that, nothing of interest.

A disappointing loss to Cherno More, but in truth we were outclassed by far superior opposition. A goal just before halftime and another when we were pushing for an equaliser consigns us to a 2-0 defeat.

I get a bit confident against Montana who are sitting in the relegation zone, and start with an attacking mentality. We concede a goal and play an awful 25 minutes. I realise the error of my ways, and trim it back to defensive which immediately pays dividends as Iliev scores. Montana are reduced to 10 men on 75 minutes and I bring on an extra forward, Kone and move to 2 up top to try and take advantage to no avail as it finishes all square.

Despite taking a lead through through an Iliev penalty in the 17th minute, we can’t push on and concede 2 others against Botev Plovdiv.

images

November 2019

View attachment 95511 View attachment 95510

A tough opening game of the month against Neftochimic currently sitting in 2nd position, made even harder due to the injury to my top scorer Dimitrov who is currently out for 2-3 weeks with an abdominal strain. However, Gueye steps up and spanks in an opener from 25 yards out and given I picked him up on a free, he’s really starting to look like a player. However, again, we can’t hold on and end up with our 6th draw of the season and the fourth 1-1.

View attachment 95509

We’re halfway through the season and this result leaves us in 11th, 6 points clear of 12th but with only 3 points between us and Cherno More sitting in 5th, the mid table is pretty tight.

Cup game - Oberishte - lost 3-0 - enough said.

Another disappointing result against Dunav sees us lose 2-0, again with barely a whimper. It’s not so much the losing games I’m irritated by,I was expecting that as a newly promoted team, it’s the manner of the defeats and the fact we’re barely putting up a fight sometimes.

Another international break hopefully allows the players some time to reflect and come back refreshed although league leaders CSKA Sofia aren’t the easiest of opponents to come back to. At least my top scorer Dimitrov is back from injury but to no avail as we suffer a third successive loss, and more worryingly, a third successive game without scoring and a pretty poor month result-wise.

I then notice that a couple of Danish superliga teams have lost their managers and would provide good opportunities so I apply for the vacancies at Randers and FC Midtjylland.

View attachment 95508

images

December 2019

View attachment 95494 View attachment 95493

And the games don’t get any easier as we travel to Ludogrets, the champions and the team currently sitting in 2nd place. Another 2-0 defeat, although the performance was much improved compared to previous games. Worryingly, that’s 10 games since we tasted victory and 4 since we scored and with Levski and Montana in 13th and 14th respectively, we are being well and truly dragged into the relegation zone.

I hold a team meeting in order to raise spirits, which appears to work with my assistant manager reporting the meeting as a huge success so let’s hope that improves morale which translates to improved performances.

The Randers fans don’t appear to want me…so I guess that’s put paid to that move!

View attachment 95492

HURRAH…finally a win and whilst we seem to struggle in parts, the 2-1 victory over Vereya is far more important than the manner of the victory. An own goal from their keeper in the 57th minute seals the win for us with assists from both fullbacks and a MoM performance from my RB Kremenliev.

Well, it turns out Randers may not want me, but FC Midtylland do…

View attachment 95491

which I have no hesitation in accepting to selfishly further my career, and with a 400% wage increase, also my wallet. It feels a bit like I’m deserting a sinking ship (which I kind of am), but I was never going to be here for a long time and I think I’ve overachieved given the quality of the squad and the infrastructure.

My Tryavna stats:

View attachment 95490

View attachment 95333

December 2019 - February 2020

View attachment 95346

Just looking at the squad shows this a serious step up in quality, with a squad littered with full internationals, experience and a significant wage budget compared to my previous two jobs. I don’t have an assistant manager, but otherwise the backroom staff are strong and the youth set up in good condition as well.

Since winning the Superliga in 2014/2015, the team have finished 3rd and 2nd for the past 3 seasons so this is clearly a strong team. The team were languishing in 11th on my appointment which may partly explain Jess Thorup’s sacking.

View attachment 95345

View attachment 95344

The squad looks pretty strong, although I do have 8 CB’s in the first team squad which seems excessive! I bring in Kenny Black as my assistant manager, and then it’s down to business.

My first game is in the European Cup against CSKA Moscow, although judging by the group table it’s been a pretty disastrous campaign:

View attachment 95343

This is my first foray into European football and with, literally, nothing to lose it’s a good chance to get an idea of the team and since I don’t like strikerless formations and have never been successful with a lone striker, I’m going to try with a possession based 4-1-3-2 formation. In time I’m hoping I can be a bit more creative/adventurous with the better players, but we’ll see.

View attachment 95342

The game goes pretty well, we dominate possession, numbers of passes etc, but it’s not until I tweak the formation to a 4-1-2-1-2 that we make the break through with goals from Mathew & Maiga in the dying minutes.

I keep the same formation that finished the game against CSKA to face Viking in the ‘battle of the heath’ derby…Nicolaisen scores from a narrow angle after the keeper drops the ball at his feet and them Olsson, playing in CM, drills one in from the edge of the box. A real feature of this formation, and the quality of the full backs means they are having plenty of time to produce the goods. Unfortunately, we can’t hold on and concede two, meaning the game finishes all square.

A long winter break means no more games until February, but a good opportunity to strengthen, although I’m not sure the squad needs that much. I lose my winger Wilkhelm to a £1m offer to Sochaux, and use the money to bring in Keita as first choice DM along with Serbian youngster; Djerlen.

View attachment 95341 View attachment 95340

I also bring in another Serbian youngster, Mehmedovic who had been on trial.

View attachment 95339

Another player comes in with Manchester Utd youngster Tuanzebe, unhappy with his playing time, and available at a cut down price - if he can achieve his potential, he is going to be some player at this level.

View attachment 95338

I also lose my first choice Kristensen to Lazio for £1.8m so probably too good to turn down, especially since he requested to leave although it leaves me short in the RB position so at very short notice I bring in Ukrainian U21international Malinovsky.

View attachment 95337

I’ve done far more business than I was intending, so I just have to hope now that it doesn’t disrupt the team for the remaining games after the winter break.

View attachment 95336

2 friendlies before the hard work starts with a pretty reasonable draw against OB and then a very tight 1-0 win.
First league game after the break away to AGF and 3 players are lined up to make their debuts; ST Djerlek, AM Mehmedovic and DC Tuanzebe. Djerlek’s pace gets him through for a 1 on 1and gives us the lead on 7 minutes, although we concede from a corner to make it equal at half time and it stays like that.

View attachment 95335 View attachment 95334

Last edited:
View attachment 95173

March 2020

A tough game against league leaders Kobenhavn awaits, however the first thing I do this month is have a look at the contracts. Only Maiga’s contract expires at the end of the season and as the top wage earner, at 32 and not really fitting into the system, I’m happy for him to leave and I start looking for an Advanced Forward to replace him…ideally one whose contract is expiring so I can save some money!

View attachment 95172

I make an initial play for Antonsson, though his wage demands are twice what I can afford so my second choices Vera and Rivero are approached

View attachment 95171 View attachment 95170

I’ve been rejecting loan offers for Djerlek since I signed him, but as he offers something different i.e. pace, I’m very reluctant to let him go.

Against Kobenhavn, Djerlek and Tuanzebe keep their places, but Mehmedovic is replaced by Mathew after a poor performance in the last game and top scorer Onuachu is restored to the starting line-up as well. It’s he who comes closest in the first half, hitting the bar after some fantastic work in the midfield. I bring on Maiga after 60 minutes for Djerlek and take off the ineffectual Mathew. Maiga goes on to score one of the goals of the season, however they reply quickly and then a late goal from Kobenhavn’s top scorer resigns us to a defeat.

I renew the contracts of a couple of youth prospects; Damkjaer & Christensson:

View attachment 95168 View attachment 95167

We don’t have long before the next match, at home to Sonderjyske and, despite only having the one shot on target, we somehow do enough to scrape the win with Djerlek making the vital contribution from the bench.

2 games in 3 days up next, with the first being against Lyngby, sitting bottom of the league. Maiga powers in a header from a left wing cross and we hold on to confirm the victory. Unfortunately I lose my LB Ibsen to injury and for the second game in a row, my CB Nicolaisen is awarded MoM.

Despite absolutely battering FC Roslkilde, a division lower, they score two goals just after half time and although we pull a goal back through Onuachu, in by far the most frustrating result of my tenure so far, we go out of the cup without so much as a whimper. If there is a positive, Onuachu scores his first goal for, remarkably, 18 games.

And now I’m out of the cup, the last game of the regular season is away to FC Norsdjaelland. A 0-0 sounds dull, but the scoreline is deceptive as both teams had more than enough chances to win the game.

The league now gets split into promotion & two relegation groups with us in Relegation group B along with Sonderjyske, Viborg FF and Silkeborg FF although the first game isn’t for a couple of weeks.Rivero confirms his arrival after finally agreeing contract terms.

View attachment 95166 View attachment 95165

1114767d1494087556-i-started-out-nothing-i-still-got-most-left-fcm-logo.jpg

April 2020

The game aganst Silkeborg starts very badly, conceding a goal after just 19 seconds. A ding-dong first half means it’s 2-2 at half time, with Djerlek scoring, then Maiga putting in an equaliser just before half time. Just after half time, Mehmedovic scores his first for the club with a brilliantly placed strike from outside the area and we hold on for the 3-2 victory.

An away game against Soderjyske and a slight change in formation, going to a flat midfield 3 rather than a diamond 4 to provide some extra strength in the middle, although this doesn’t go to plan and despite changing it back to a diamond 4-4-2 at half time, we just can’t seem to to anything positive at all and lose, eventually, to a 72nd minute winner.

A disappointing result against Viborg, as despite them taking the lead we dominate in every other area, but can only get the one goal back through Djerlek as he scores his 4th of the season. Silkeborg awy up next and I’m hoping we don’t concede 3 again, we could do without that. A first half lead is taken through Djerlek before a ridiculous defensive mishap hands them an equaliser. Maiga has a shocker, misses a penalty and a couple of clear cut chances and just as I’m contemplating taking him off, he pops up with a goal to give us the lead and it stays 2-1.

Mehmedovic has a fine game, gets an assist creates several chances and is named in the team of the week.
Considering Djerlek and Mehmedovic both came in on free transfers, I’ve been delighted with their form so far.

View attachment 94899 View attachment 94898

May 2020

Kobenhavn retain the title with 4 games to spare and by some distance so we’ve got some catching up to do if we want to get closer to the top in the next couple of seasons.

Djerlek continues his fantastic run in front of goal scoring in the 7th minute against Sonderjyske. Unfortunately Nicolaisen concedes a penalty with a clumsy challenge and we go into the break even and despite being dominated in the second half, we keep it to 1-1.

I make another bid to sign Antonsson, which is successful this time as he’s reduced his wage demands, so with Rivero that’s a new improved forward line to come in:

View attachment 94869
View attachment 94868

Another game against Viborg, the final game of the season and it’s the worst game I’ve ever had the misfortune to manage as the players already seem like they’re on their holidays. 0-0 and just 3 shots on target between the teams over the 90 minutes…except it’s not the last game of the season and I’ve been drawn in the European Places Playoff first round.

View attachment 94867

Despite having the lesser possession and fewer shots on target, we make those we do have count as Djerlek scores in the first half and a Maiga penalty seals a 2-0 victory with the last kick of the game to take into the second leg.

I’m beginning to have second thoughts about letting Maiga go as he’s scored consistently as he’s been playing and, whilst not a natural in the role I want him to play in and too old to retrain, he is definitely doing a job.
This goal means he’s now joint top scorer with Onuachu who hasn’t impressed me with his performances.

Second leg against Esbjerg up next and away. For the away game I revert to a 4-1-3-2 to play on the counter attack and add a tough tackling CM, Keita in the middle in an attempt to deal with their 4-2-3-1 formation. Although he’s not in the team to score, Keita nets the first with a fine strike from outside the box. They equalise but top performances from my back 4 & keeper mean we go through courtesy of the home result. OB won their legs, so we’re up against them for the second round.

“Just one of those games” comes to mind - we have 14 shots and only one on target, we dominate possession, have more corners and successful passes but can’t do anything about the important stat and lose the first leg 1-0 leaving us a bit of work to do in the second leg.

The game starts frenetically with a goal each in the opening 15 minutes , Djerlek tapping in for us. It stays like this until the 70th minute when I go all out overload to try and get the winner which works with Lekven nodding in his first of the season from a corner, giving us the advantage on away goals. So I go the other way and to full contain mode, clogging up the midfield and giving no freedom to the fullbacks. Despite this, Onuachu scores late on and gives us a 3-1 victory on the day, 3-2 on aggregate. Once again, my CB Nicolaisen is MoM.

The games seem to continue, with yet another playoff draw against Randers whose fans, I have not forgotten, laughed at my application..this could get personal.

View attachment 94865 View attachment 94866

June 2020

An unbelievable performance hopefully wipes some of the grins off the smug Randers fans as my two Serbian free transfers score in quick succession before half time. They pull one back just after half time and Djerlek completes a 3-1 victory with his second of the game in the 54th minute.

I'm so delighted by the result, I want to attempt a Souness-esque flag plant into the Randers centre spot, but that would probably results in some disciplinary action...

View attachment 94739

View attachment 94738 View attachment 94737

Promising youngsters Pena (GK) and Kristensson (RB) join as I look to progress them to the first team, although Kristensson looks good enough to jump straight into the first team.

View attachment 94733 View attachment 94730

With the additions of Rivero and Antonssen, I don’t need to sign anyone else, so unless someone too good to turn down, or an opportunity to improve the youth comes around, I think I’m done although it would be good to increase the Danish core of the team. My youth intake produces Lasse Post who looks like he could be a prospect and is promoted to the first team for the experience and some substitute appearances.

View attachment 94729

The European Cup draw pitches me against a Luxembourgian team then potentially Slovenian or Andorran opposition although the qualifying games means it's an early start to the season this year.

View attachment 94728

July 2020

View attachment 94431

So, there we go…nothing too ambitious which is good.

The European Cup qualifying games are up first at the start of a busy month and we’re off to Luxembourg. Two debutants in the team, Kristensson at RB and Antonsson up front to start with. Antonsson scores 2, then Mehmedovic and Gregus add to the total before half time. Antonsson scores again just after half time to complete his hat-trick and I bring on Rivero to give him his debut. Djerlek finally gets his goal on 70 to complete a comfortable victory.

I make 10 changes for the second leg, including the addition of 16 year old Post who wastes little time setting up Rivero for his first after 3 minutes. Post himself gets on the score-sheet to take a 2-0 lead into half time. Olsson tucks away a penalty just after half time and a hilarious own goal just after the hour gives us a 4-0 lead. Antonsson, on as a substitute for Rivero, scores shortly after coming on and Post scores a second to complete a very comfortable 6-0 win, 12-1 on aggregate and in doing so becomes both Midtjylland’s youngest player and goalscorer.

We’re off to Slovenia to face Domzale in the next round.

Annoyingly, Rangers make a bid for my RB Romer, which the board go over my head to accept, which means promoting Malinovsky back into the first team.

View attachment 94430

Antonsson is restored to the starting line-up along with Post against Domzale who prove to be far tougher opposition than Racing (LUX) and take the lead in the 33rd minute. Antonsson pulls one back shortly after half time - his 5th in just 3 games. Djerlek comes on for Post, who has struggled against the better opposition and Mathew on for Olsson. They take a surprise lead and it finshes 2-1 to Domzale. The 3rd qualifying round draw comes up an this pitches us, if we can progress past Domzale, against Irish team St Pat’s Athletic or Zira from Azerbaijan but up first is the opening league game against Randers.

Despite having the better of the first half, we can’t put any of the chances away and the second half pretty much goes the same way to produce a goal-less game.

Hopefully we can produce a better performance against Domzale in the second leg of the 2nd Qualifying Round. After dominating the first half, Djerlek scores in the 22nd minute to give us the lead on away goals and Rivero fires in a second just after half time. However, despite Domzale pulling one back through a free kick, Djerlek caps off his man of the match performance with his second to pitch us against St Pat’s Athletic in the 3rd qualifying round.

Djerlek finished last season as top scorer and continues in the same vein.
It’s no surprise that Djerlek opened the scoring in our second consecutive home game against Brondby and Antonsson adds a second just after half time from a Djerlek assist. They pull one back to produce a nailbiting finish, but we hold and manage a 2-1 victory. Although Djerlek wins the MoM, Sparv sitting in the ballwinning DM position is the unsung hero.

Our 7th game of the month brings St Pat’s Athletic to the MCH Arena and a number of changes are made. Mehmedovic is the man of the first half, providing assists for Rivero and Post who give us a comfortable lead at half-time and it stays this way until full time.

View attachment 94429 View attachment 94428

August 2020

August starts with tying down 4 players, Gregus, Banggaard, Sparv and Hansen to extended contracts.

We barely make an impression away to Nordsjaelland and succumb to a wonder goal in the first half.

The second leg of the 3rd qualifying round gives us the chance to immediately amend for the Nordsjaelland result as we take a 2-0 lead to them. We concede a 1st minute goal, but then take control and score 2 before half time through Gregus and Andersson. They score again to equalise, although Post scores again for us shortly after to give us a 5-2 aggregate win.

The European Cup playoff draw pits us against Slovakian team Trencin.

Away to Esbjerg next and the game only comes to life in the second half when Esbjerg take the lead but Antonsson scores twice in quick succession after some tactical tweaks. Post, on as a substitute, scores a blinder to give us a comfortable sounding 3-1 victory.

AAb, sitting top of the league, come to town next and we hold onto the lead that Antonsson gives us right up until the final minute when they equalise.

Velje up next and we go behind early in the game. Mehmedovic pulls one back before Kristensson is sent off, putting the result in doubt. With just over 10 minutes left, Post seals the victory giving us the 3 points and pushing us up into 3rd position, although its still early in the season.

The Danish cup pitches us against lower league opposition - Husum, but it’s the European Cup Playoff against Trencin with the away leg up first.

A number of injuries means that both Djerlek and Post are unavailable, though Rivero wastes little time in filling in their absence scoring very early. Trencin equalise with a goal shortly after half time and we’re given a massive helping hand, when Trencin are reduced to 10 men, following a professional foul in the box with Antonsson tucking away the resulting penalty and Anderson further pushes home the numerical advantage with a goal as the game draws to a close.

I hope to continue the good form against AGF, sitting one position below us in the league and we grab a narrow win courtesy of a very good Antonsson goal which takes us, temporarily at least, to second place.

Trencin come to town in the final qualifying round and although we have a 3-1 lead from the first leg, we put in a shocking performance. Thankfully, Rivero saves us with an outstanding free kick so the aggregate result puts us through and a tough group is drawn:

View attachment 93924

The final game of the month gives us a very tough, but deserved, 1-0 victory with Sparv making the difference to make it 3 wins on the bounce.

View attachment 93923 View attachment 93922

Just gone through this, to catch up with everything and its been a very good, successful run to date, your rep should increase quickly at the likes of FC Midtjylland.

As for the opening "I’ve completely torn my anterior cruciate ligament, torn my meniscus ligaments and damaged my medial collateral ligament."

I genuinely did that back in February 2016!

Just gone through this, to catch up with everything and its been a very good, successful run to date, your rep should increase quickly at the likes of FC Midtjylland.

As for the opening "I’ve completely torn my anterior cruciate ligament, torn my meniscus ligaments and damaged my medial collateral ligament."

I genuinely did that back in February 2016!

I was very lucky with Grindavik, a lot went my way to get promoted. I was struggling with Tryavna by the end and I don't think I'd have kept them up so the Midtjylland job came about at the right time.

As it happens, I did something similar, but 'only' tore my cruciate - thought I'd add the additional injuries for effect!!

September 2020

The beginning of the month sees me fending off loan bids for Djerlek and Post, although the most important piece of business sees me making a marquee signing, bringing in Real Madrid B midfielder, Borja Sanches before the transfer window shuts.

View attachment 93825

Sanches comes straight in for his debut against Husum BK in the cup and a good first half performance sees goals from Mehmedovic, who I think can produce more if he’s allowed to roam, and 2 from Rivero means we take a 3-1 lead into halftime. Nicolaisen adds a fourth in the second half meaning we take a 4-2 victory.

The transfer window closes, with the majority of players being released from the B Team and loans for the youth prospects.

View attachment 93824

Kristensson makes his international debut for Denmark during the international break and I take the opportunity to tie Nicolaisen to new terms and extend both Antonsson and Mehmedovic’s contracts courtesy of their extension clauses.

Djerlek makes his return from a lengthy injury lay off against OB, although he can’t do anything about them taking the lead from a corner, after which they park the bus and we can’t make a breakthrough, losing 1-0.

Austrian side SV Ried are my first opposition in the European Cup and Mehmedovic then Djerlek give us the lead before a defensive mistake reduces the deficit. Mehmedovic scores his second of the game to give us a 3-1 win with RB Kristensson providing two of the assists taking the 18 year old’s total number of assists this season to 9 in just 12 games.

Despite having to make a number of changes against Soderjyske for fitness reasons, we take a comfortable 3-0 lead into half time and although they up their game for the second half and score twice, Sparv scores to give us the 4-2 victory.

We travel to bottom of the league Lyngby next and, again, have to make a number of personnel changes to keep the players fit. Keita gives us a fourth minute lead and Mathew’s first of the season extends that in the first half. Banggaard heads in from a Novak free kick, then Lyngby score 2 in quick succession to set up a nervy finale. Annoyingly, we can’t hold on and they equalise in the last minute.

The Lyngby result was a morale shatterer and we need to pick ourselves up quickly as we face Hobro IK at home. Antonsson, who hasn’t scored in 8 is replaced by Rivero, Sparv replaces Keita and Gregus comes in as well. For the second game in a row we concede in the last minute, though this one consigns us to defeat as we fall 7 points behind Kobenhavn leading the pack.

View attachment 93823

View attachment 93822 View attachment 93821

October 2020

After the last two results, I was not exactly optimistic about a visit from Southampton in the European Cup although a goal from Rivero, then an equaliser from Berahino means that a fairly even game finishes 1-1, despite us pushing on when Bertrand was sent off just before the hour.

League leaders Kobenhavn come to town next and something of a goalfest ensues as Sanchez scores his first for the club before Kobenhavn score twice. It's our turn to steal some points as Antonsson rescues a point with a penalty in the 92nd minute.

Another home game and hopefully an easier challenge as Randers are up next and some rotation is necessary due to the congested fixture list. GK Dahlin saves a Randers penalty and with the game petering out to nothing, a change of formation brings about a goal as Antonsson scores from a Malinovsky cross in the 79th minute. Djerlek suffers a significant injury and will be out for 5-6 months with a broken leg which is a major blow.

We’re off to Germany next to face Gelsenkirchen although the gulf in class is evident as we’re 3-0 down at half-time. They score a fourth just after halftime and although Bembe pulls one back and Rivero adds one at the end, we lose 5-2 despite a valiant effort.

First half goals from Post, Sanchez and Novak give us a comfortable 3-1 victory over non league Thisted in the cup and Nordsjaelland await us in the next round.

View attachment 93022

View attachment 93021

View attachment 93020 View attachment 93019

November 2020

Nordsjaellend come to town and it’s Novak, who is the only player who can put a free kick on target, let alone score, breaks the deadlock early on. Top scorer Antonsson doubles the lead and Mehmedovic increases it further with the last kick of the half. Although they pull one back in the second half, we hold on to record a 3-1 victory and Mehmedovic is the stand out performer again.

I have a look at the contracts and because I’ve been particularly dilligent, there are only 2 that expire at the end of the season who can be replaced by players with better prospects.

View attachment 92830 View attachment 92829

Since I have a couple of youngsters in the B Team who are ready made to step up into the first team so the succession is already there:

View attachment 92828 View attachment 92827

The transfer window opens in a couple of months and as much as I’d like to bring someone in, I’ve overstretched on the budget slightly and currently £8,000 p/w over budget. The international break means fewer games this month, but we still have two very tough games coming up - Gelsinkerchen and then league leaders AaB.

Despite goals from Antonsson and Rivero who combine fantastically up front, a MoM performance from Gelsinkerchen’s Embolo with a goal and an assist, resigns us to a 3-2 defeat, though we were a lot closer than our first game.

Considering I picked him up on a free, I’m delighted with the progress being made by Mehmodivic.

View attachment 92826

An outstanding performance against AAB results in a 2-1 win, and although we weren’t the better side, we played to our strengths with goals from Mehmedovic and Antonsson giving us the win and providing us some breathing space from AGF in 4th position.

Unfortunately we can’t follow up on the good performance and despite having more, and the better, chances the game against Esbjerg finishes goal-less.

Goals from Sanchez and then Post, on as a substitute, give us a deserved 2-0 win over SV Ried in the European Cup. Progression to the knock out stages is possible, though unlikely, as I have to beat the group leaders Southampton and hope that SV Ried who have lost all 5 games, beat Gelsinkerchen….hmnnnnnnn.

The final game of the month sees us travel to Velje and a number of changes are made to rest some weary legs, so regulars Antonsson, Kristensson, Tuanzebe and Keita are dropped in favour of Post, Malinovsky, Banggaard and Sparv. 16 year old Post opens the scoring and Rivero smashes a second from the edge of the box. Velje then score 2 in quick succession and I ring the changes resulting in goals from Mehmedovic and a Sparv penalty before another Velje goal which provides a nervy ending to the 4-3 win.

View attachment 92825

View attachment 92824 View attachment 92823

December 2020 - February 2021

4 games in December then the winter break and 2 more at the end of February but it starts shockingly as Malinovsky concedes a penalty against AGF, followed up by a further 2 goals conceded as we lose with barely a whimper.

The team needs to improve against Horsens, currently sitting bottom of the league, but we travel without Mehmedovic as Mathew deputises and some team rotation is required. First half goals from Sanchez, Antonsson and Mathew give us a comfortable 3-0 win and the ideal preparation for a near impossible trip to group leaders Southampton in the European Cup.

Hungarian International, Altman impresses in for a trial and would provide some real quality in the AMC role though sadly his wage demands are too high, having overstretched myself during the last transfer window.

View attachment 92243

We matched Southampton for 80 minutes, before conceding 3 goals at the finale which knocks us out. It was a tough group, but we didn’t embarass ourselves and have added to the coffers which is useful.

18 year old Holm makes his debut in the final game before the winter break against SonderjyskE as a 30 yard strike from Mathew and a Sparv penalty give us a a straightforward 2-0 victory.

Malinovsky leaves the club, a decision welcomed by both the board and the fans. Holm is promoted to the first team to take his place.

The end of the year brings some duly deserved praise for Post and I take the chance to review my overall profile:

View attachment 92242 View attachment 92241

There is no doubt that I’m enjoying my time here and I do think that my profile will increase in stature at Midtjylland but it is notable that Belarussian club BATE are struggling, so I intend to keep any eye on this vacancy, particularly as they are regular champions league attendees and have a relatively high reputation.

View attachment 92240

I get an offer for GK Rauhaage which is too good to refuse considering I’m intending to let him go at the end of the season in any case and the transfer window closes.

A tour of Spain before the hard work begins again brings 3 victories out of 4 with Antonsson scoring a ridiculous 10 goals in 3 games.

Despite battering OB we can’t make the breakthrough even though I make a number of personnel and tactical changes to try and push for the win to no avail.

Djerlek finally starts the recovery from his broken leg and it will be great to have him back - as good as Post has been, we can’t rely on a 16 year old to start every game. We travel to Brondby for the next game and in almost the polar opposite of the OB game, we barely get a look in but goals from Antonsson, before he’s taken off, and Olsson with our only 2 efforts on target give us the victory with a win that pushes us into 2nd place.

View attachment 92239

View attachment 92238 View attachment 92237

March 2021

Kobenhavn demonstrate the difference in class between the top 2 as we are soundly beaten, giving us a bit of a footballing lesson and showing why they are top of the league, and by some distance.

We pick ourselves up and go again…
Having qualified for the championship group in the league, and now having 2 games in the 3 days I rest a number of players for the cup game but Lyngby are up first.

We haven’t been having the possession I would like in recent games, so change it to a control mentality as well as change some of the player and team instructions to encourage this. Pena makes his first start, thought it’s cut short after 8 minutes as a result of injury. The decision to rest players appears to be vindicated as Rivero, then Post give us a first half lead. Lyngby pull one back in the second half and Post scores his second with the game dying out to give us a 3-1 victory.

If we can avoid Kobenhavn, who are surely favourites, in the cup I am confident we can be there or thereabouts, but have to get past Nordsjaelland first. Goals from Antonsson, Kristensson (with his first for the club) and Hansen mean we progress...

View attachment 91661

...t
o face Horsens, sitting at the bottom of the Superliga currently.

We have “one of those games” against IK Hobro:

View attachment 91660

Post and Antonsson score our goals but how we didn’t win, I’ll never know in the final game of the regular season. The league is split into 2 sections now and we’re in with the top 6 in the Championship group.

View attachment 91659 View attachment 91658

April 2021

So, the first game of the Championship group is a comfortable 2-0 victory over Brondby with Rivero and Sanchez doing the damage although its looking virtually impossible to catch Kobenhavn who are clear by 12 points and it looks as though the best we can hope for is to hold onto second place.

Djerlek makes his first start after his lengthy injury layoff and I make wholesale changes to the starting line up for the cup game although this backfires horribly as I lose 4-0 and a competition I could have won goes up in smoke.

View attachment 91385 View attachment 91384

Nordsjaelland up next, with Antonsson and Djerlek with his first goal since returning, giving leading us to a 2-0 victory. Interesting one for the stats; 14 shots, 3 on target, 3 clear cut chances, 2 goals. Sanchez is outstanding against AaB and produces the games only piece of magic to create the goal for Rivero.

Neither of the starting 2 strikers; Antonsson or Djerlek impressed and Rivero was only brought on to take Antonsson’s place just after the hour.
League leaders Kobenhavn are up next and present a very tough challenge although I’m without Sanchez as he is desperately short of fitness and he is desperately missed in the centre as we fail to create anything of note, succumbing as a result of some poor marking at a set piece. AaB win their game in hand and reduce the deficit to 4 points between us in 2nd place and them in 3rd.

We travel to Brondby in the final game of the month with Antonsson and Post paying the price for their recent profligate performances in front of goal. This pays off in the first half as Rivero gives us a lead, however a different Brondby team come out for the second half and score twice despite not having a look in in the first half.

View attachment 91383 View attachment 91382