I suck at managing lower league clubs, help?!

appoxplayer

Reaction score
I can't manage any team outside the top flight of the big 5 leagues.

I've just started another save with Notts County and have no idea where to look for transfers. The players up for loan either aren't good enough or don't want to come to league 2 and I can't find any players in my budget for transfers.

How do I manage lower league?

I've just started another save with Notts County and have no idea where to look for transfers. The players up for loan either aren't good enough or don't want to come to league 2 and I can't find any players in my budget for transfers.

First off, ignore stars; look for stats. Lower league is all about keeping moral and keeping injuries at a minimum.
Players will play well if you have them playing in a system that suits them.

***** players playing in a system that suits them will be better than great players you've just thrown onto the pitch.

It's definitely all about the system you play in the lower leagues, very few teams will get promoted by playing perfect football. Look at what you have then build around them. If it means long ball tactics then so be it. The free transfer market is also your friend many an aging gem or up and coming youngster who isn't ready for the big time can be found there.

Sounds like you rely on wonderkid/cheap lists.

Scouts? If you can't find players that improves the team, just keep what you have.

Sign better than what you have. Create a system that suits the players. So really, the same as everywhere else.

Pretty much what the others said:

1) Look at stats rather than stars. Mainly because the stars are your assman's assessment of player abilities, and chances are he won't have a very high JPA attribute so his reports will be inaccurate anyway.

2) If you need to strengthen your team, loans and free transfers are usually the way to go in the lower leagues. If you don't have any room in your wage budget either, you'll just have to make do with what you have until you can convince the board to increase the budget.

3) Don't try to fit your players into a specific tactic. Pick a tactic that fits the players you have - and assign them the roles that come most naturally to them.

Alot of people have mentioned about the attributes, a few of the key ones I look for when managing a lower league team are work rate, anticipation, decisions and then if you are looking for a striker, then the usuals like finishing, composure etc. Physical attributes are alot more important than technical attributes. I have had loads of strikers with 9 finishing, for example, who score loads of goals for me.

The loan market will be your best friend for the first few seasons but its important to sign younger players, if you can sign players between the age of 20-23ish, you then get a more rounded player instead of an 18 year old who might be inconsistent.

Get affiliate clubs for money and loan signings, if you can get an Arsenal or Man Utd or something, that is excellent.

Tend to find that lower league football is all about long ball tactics but thats just my opinion

I tend to try and build my side with a load of pace and try and pass the ball into space with more direct passing