I suck at this game, how to get better?

dicitizen

Reaction score
I just don't know what to do anymore. Whatever club that I chose I can't make good tactic. I even tried watching full games to see what are flaws in my tactic and whenever I found one and fix it another one pop up or my player just keep doing very stupid things, doesn't matter how good he is. I watched Zealnd's guide for noobs, I watched a lot of BustTheNet and understand perfectly what these guys are doing and how they think when making tactic. Also I have very good knowledge and understanding of real life football. Just don't know what to do, I think about quitting but I like this game so much and wanna succeed in it. Just to mention I'm playing for couple of years now but I always used tactic from internet because it was fun to me to play that way but isn't anymore.

Hi!

First thing to know about Football Manager is that its limited. It might be by far the best sport management game, but its still really limited.
Second, 3D match engine is inaccurate, there's simply not enough animation to cover everything thats happening.

Regarding Match Engine, it really favors fast paced attacking football. Thats not me saying something else won't work, but you might have harder time making it work. Give your tactic time, your players need to get used to it and sometimes it takes months for it.
When making tactic, follow the basic rules:
-Player roles: Don't use 3-4 playmakers. Try to balance things out with them, because playmaker is someone who you want to most on the ball. Deep lying forward, False 9 and Trequartista are all forms of a striker who's also a playmaker, playing with the Advanced playmaker behind them is usually not ideal
-Depending on your style, adapt your player roles even further: If you're playing on Attack, then you need to put more players on attack. Somewhere between 4 and 5 is usually the sweet spot. Be careful, if you commit to many players forward, you'll be exposed at the back. And if you don't have enough players going forward, then chances of creating and scoring are minimal.
-Be patient above all. If tactic does not work, don't try radical changes. Try changing one small thing before changing something bigger. Sometimes even the slightest change of tempo can change the course of the game.
-Hire good assistant manager/coach to give you tactical advice: They usually give pretty good advice on how to adapt to something in the game.

Alright, thats all from me, hopefully I managed to help a bit.

Hi!

First thing to know about Football Manager is that its limited. It might be by far the best sport management game, but its still really limited.
Second, 3D match engine is inaccurate, there's simply not enough animation to cover everything thats happening.

Regarding Match Engine, it really favors fast paced attacking football. Thats not me saying something else won't work, but you might have harder time making it work. Give your tactic time, your players need to get used to it and sometimes it takes months for it.
When making tactic, follow the basic rules:
-Player roles: Don't use 3-4 playmakers. Try to balance things out with them, because playmaker is someone who you want to most on the ball. Deep lying forward, False 9 and Trequartista are all forms of a striker who's also a playmaker, playing with the Advanced playmaker behind them is usually not ideal
-Depending on your style, adapt your player roles even further: If you're playing on Attack, then you need to put more players on attack. Somewhere between 4 and 5 is usually the sweet spot. Be careful, if you commit to many players forward, you'll be exposed at the back. And if you don't have enough players going forward, then chances of creating and scoring are minimal.
-Be patient above all. If tactic does not work, don't try radical changes. Try changing one small thing before changing something bigger. Sometimes even the slightest change of tempo can change the course of the game.
-Hire good assistant manager/coach to give you tactical advice: They usually give pretty good advice on how to adapt to something in the game.

Alright, thats all from me, hopefully I managed to help a bit.

Thank you. You did help me, I just started save with Porto and we will see how it's going. From what you said I think my biggest issue is that as soon as my team don't play good I always go for radical changes. I'm gonna try be smarter from now on and building slowly.