I'd love feedback on these three own-made tactics - on how to make them world-class.

interman

Reaction score
Update: Download links for the tactics for usage at bottom of this post. Please feel free to keep a discussion and post feedback on how to improve the tactics. :)

---------

Beneath are over 50 pictures featuring individual roles, the tactics, club information.... everything.

Club Information and Tactics Overview: Overview Thread - Imgur

Key Players: The Key Players - Imgur

The Ultra-Defensive Tactic: The Ultra-Defensive Tactics - Imgur

The Defensive Tactic: The Defensive Tactic - Imgur

The Controlling Tactic: The Controlling Tactic - Imgur

Introduction: I am playing Boreham Wood, taken from the lowest playable English league to the highest, Premier Division, in several years. Momentarily I am playing during the year of 2020 and being third in the league, winning over, by example, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool. The most success is through my ultra-defensive tactic.

Furthermore, regarding tactics overall, I prefer to play with strong wingbacks instead of wingers. By, for example, playing two wingbacks and three central defenders, I create a massive defensive line and at the same time saving one spot offensively (regard this as two DC's, two FB's and two Wingers up-front equals six spots, where three CB's and two WB's equals five spots). This gives me another spot to abuse if my wingbacks are strong enough. Since my Attacking Complete Forward, Meksud, is an enormous talent, I try to give him every ball possible. Since he is strong in the air too, I set my GK to shoot the ball to him, I have him set as target man, etc.

I am also mediatipped as the most underdog of Premier Division. Playing controlling tactics are in vain, that won't just be possible to win a single game. Therefore I have created one Ultra-Defensive Tactic (used for away-games against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd/City), an Defensive Tactic for mostly away games against most Premier Division teams but also home games if necessary, and an Standard/Controlling Tactic, used when playing low-table teams and easy cup-opponents. Tactical Rotation is a must so the top-teams won't know my tactics more than I know 'em myself.

Conclusionary, I am not a tactical genious, nor are these tactics completed by far, so I would like your opinions on how I can improve these to masterpieces. I will definitely make sure to upload it free of use for anyone to try them out, or play with them.

If you need more information just post, I am a FM-addict and will update this page by the minute!

Thank you all!!! :)

Last edited:
Wow I love the look of those defensive tactics. I can't do you justice with my response because I'm at work right now ;) but I love the fact you are using wingbacks to compensate for having so many deep players.

I have followed as similar career with Gloucester City going from BSB-N to the Premier league, now in my third season there in 2021. I've actually finished 6th and 7th while playing mostly attacking tactics and only switching to a counter style against top teams like Man U. I used similar tactics (but not as defensive) with great success through league2/league1, and I agree that if you have strong wingbacks they let you do some really creative things since they can push up like wingers in attack. It also seems to make playing out of defence easier since you'll have more passing options through the middle with only 2 wide players.

I haven't been able to go back to that style in premier league as I've been able to find strong wingers but not wingbacks. In fact, I've always struggled to find good wingbacks that have high dribbling, crossing, pace, tackling, marking, concentration... Good wingbacks need so many stats to be able to work the whole side of a pitch!

I'll probably take another look at your tactics tonight when I get home, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to get a pair of decent wingbacks. Do you retrain from other positions? - like wingers and you just live with the poor defensive ability? Or have you been able to find good wingbacks through transfers?

what training did you use ?
balanced/average - att movemont ?

Wow I love the look of those defensive tactics. I can't do you justice with my response because I'm at work right now ;) but I love the fact you are using wingbacks to compensate for having so many deep players.

I have followed as similar career with Gloucester City going from BSB-N to the Premier league, now in my third season there in 2021. I've actually finished 6th and 7th while playing mostly attacking tactics and only switching to a counter style against top teams like Man U. I used similar tactics (but not as defensive) with great success through league2/league1, and I agree that if you have strong wingbacks they let you do some really creative things since they can push up like wingers in attack. It also seems to make playing out of defence easier since you'll have more passing options through the middle with only 2 wide players.

I haven't been able to go back to that style in premier league as I've been able to find strong wingers but not wingbacks. In fact, I've always struggled to find good wingbacks that have high dribbling, crossing, pace, tackling, marking, concentration... Good wingbacks need so many stats to be able to work the whole side of a pitch!

I'll probably take another look at your tactics tonight when I get home, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to get a pair of decent wingbacks. Do you retrain from other positions? - like wingers and you just live with the poor defensive ability? Or have you been able to find good wingbacks through transfers?

Thank you! I was surprised I ended at fourth place in Premier Division after I struggled to stay there the year before. With the same players!

According to the wingbacks --- I tried to sign the two best wingbacks that were <19 years old. They are cheap, and I can have them develop. Since I am a "poor" club (in difference to other PL clubs) I need to use all of my economy into highering wages every season. Simply training them as "Wingback" on hard.

Got smashed at the gym last night so I went straight to bed after dinner lol.

On my lunch break now, and I just looked through your players in detail. Can I just say, holy ****! How good is Meksud!!! I was looking at your WBs thinking they're decent but not great and wondering how you're generating points when their crossing isn't too flash. Then I see that guy and now I know why. If I was you I would be parking the bus too and just let him tear up the net by himself! No wonder you're sitting so high in the league!

Honestly, I can't really add anything in terms of changes you could make with that tactic with your current players, its pretty much what I would do as well. Perhaps as your defensive players develop you can retrain a DM so that you can play another midfielder, but that's all I'd be thinking about for now in terms of the formation. Your keeper is also very good, I can see that you can play with a high line and depend on him to rush out for long through balls. Again, when your players develop I can see you being able to tune this into a possession tactic with a lot of success.

Really nice team/tactic overall. I'd be interested to see how you go over the next couple of seasons!

PS.
This has inspired me to chase down a pair of wingbacks or possibly retrain some young wingers for it. I actually think that a tactic similar to your Defensive tactic but with the right sweeper could be a really good possession tactic if the DCs are able to handle being BPDs.

Is it just me or is there no download for this tactics?
Sorry, I have not uploaded the tactics yet since I thought feedback could be given by looking at the albums. Ofcourse, better feedback can be given by trying the tactics instead!I'm at work momentarily and I will upload them as soon as I come home from work.

Got smashed at the gym last night so I went straight to bed after dinner lol.

On my lunch break now, and I just looked through your players in detail. Can I just say, holy ****! How good is Meksud!!! I was looking at your WBs thinking they're decent but not great and wondering how you're generating points when their crossing isn't too flash. Then I see that guy and now I know why. If I was you I would be parking the bus too and just let him tear up the net by himself! No wonder you're sitting so high in the league!

Honestly, I can't really add anything in terms of changes you could make with that tactic with your current players, its pretty much what I would do as well. Perhaps as your defensive players develop you can retrain a DM so that you can play another midfielder, but that's all I'd be thinking about for now in terms of the formation. Your keeper is also very good, I can see that you can play with a high line and depend on him to rush out for long through balls. Again, when your players develop I can see you being able to tune this into a possession tactic with a lot of success.

Really nice team/tactic overall. I'd be interested to see how you go over the next couple of seasons!

PS.
This has inspired me to chase down a pair of wingbacks or possibly retrain some young wingers for it. I actually think that a tactic similar to your Defensive tactic but with the right sweeper could be a really good possession tactic if the DCs are able to handle being BPDs.

Thanks for a great post.

Meksud is actually a ******* beast, and I have my wingbacks on crossing-training at the moment through this whole season.

Another thing I'd like feedback on (I'm uploading the tactics as requested from other poster if you'd like to try, or anyone else reading) is the way the tactics are played. Short/direct passing. Long/direct/short passing for the defensive/ultra-defensive/standard tactics. Should a player roam --- if so, which player(s)? What kind of roles should my AMC have --- trequaritsa or should he be the advanced playmaker?

Also, just recently, I signed a 20 year old extremely talented complete forward - but he is more of a fast striker. Meksud is strong in the air, and better as a target man. That makes me having two extremely talented complete forwards, one for support and one for attacking. This is the ultimate pair of attack. So my wingbacks will force a lot of crossings, and my AMC should give a lot of passes through their defend as being a supportive (or attacking) advanced playmaker...

How, in the end, should I change the tactics to become better overall.

And these are just philosophical questions :) I'll upload the tactics for anyone to use, and to test them out.

Feedback are greatly welcomed.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have not uploaded the tactics yet since I thought feedback could be given by looking at the albums. Ofcourse, better feedback can be given by trying the tactics instead!I'm at work momentarily and I will upload them as soon as I come home from work.

Thanks. I have a West Ham team that i'm trying to save. And would love a proper defense tactic.

I will be look out from it.

Thanks. I have a West Ham team that i'm trying to save. And would love a proper defense tactic.

I will be look out from it.

Updating on original post in a few minutes! :)

Please be kind to keep updating for feedbacks and improvements if you can. Thanks.

Thanks for a great post.

Meksud is actually a ******* beast, and I have my wingbacks on crossing-training at the moment through this whole season.

Another thing I'd like feedback on (I'm uploading the tactics as requested from other poster if you'd like to try, or anyone else reading) is the way the tactics are played. Short/direct passing. Long/direct/short passing for the defensive/ultra-defensive/standard tactics. Should a player roam --- if so, which player(s)? What kind of roles should my AMC have --- trequaritsa or should he be the advanced playmaker?

Also, just recently, I signed a 20 year old extremely talented complete forward - but he is more of a fast striker. Meksud is strong in the air, and better as a target man. That makes me having two extremely talented complete forwards, one for support and one for attacking. This is the ultimate pair of attack. So my wingbacks will force a lot of crossings, and my AMC should give a lot of passes through their defend as being a supportive (or attacking) advanced playmaker...

How, in the end, should I change the tactics to become better overall.

And these are just philosophical questions I'll upload the tactics for anyone to use, and to test them out.

Feedback are greatly welcomed.
Thanks mate, I've just enjoyed reading about your tactic and checking out your players XD

Well I'll tell you about the front of my formation and you see what you think. I think you could do something pretty similar with your players easily, you'll just be using WBs instead of wingers. I play with short passing and I don't have anyone set to roam.

I've got a nice forward combo going atm. I'm playing a wonderkid AF (but hes good enough to be a CF, just need to round out his stats a bit) and I've got a player hitting his prime (not as good tho) with great aerial abilities who plays CF. They're working really well together for me. I've got an AMC playing as a support inside forward. He helps break up the defence with runs into the box before laying off a pass or sometimes getting a shot off himself. This is important for my tactic because I'm playing attacking and possession football so the defence is basically always set up and needs to be broken down.

The problem with this is that I can only play one midfielder since I have 2FBs and 2CBS, and it can be a challenge to transition from defence to attack with short passing because of this. However you'd be able to play 2 CMs and still have 3 CBs which should make it very easy to play out of defence with short passes.

Both my wingers are both 15+ with crossing so I will usually score vs any opponent no matter if they play narrow or wide, its just a question of being able to keep possession and keep it tight at the back for me. I think you have more flexibility using the WBs that you can have a similar setup at the front and still play a very solid defence, esp with that sweeper keeper you have. If you can train up your WBs so that they're capable wingers then I think you'll be set.

Food for thought anyway, but if you transition to possession and attacking football you'll need to think about how you're going to reliably break down the defence.

Last edited: