Ideal age for selling players at FM16?

R00dris

Reaction score
Since the players seem to be retiring earlier in FM16 than in previous versons (32-35 years old), what is the ideal age to sell them in your opinion?

Cheers!

I don't really go by age, but in most of my saves I try to sell as early as possible so the fans don't end up becoming too attached and getting pissy about the sales.

Why you need sell your players if they're good enough to start and if they aren't good enough to start after when they're 30y old or more you can always keep them tutoring youngsters.

Well I sell players if I need better player for his position or there are youngster and I want to him made into first XI. So I don't have some kind age when I sell also in my teams every one has a price I don't care if that player are my top goalscorer or something else like that. You can always find better player.

And in the end normally people say best age to sell is between 27-29y cause their value are highest then.

I find the best age to sell between 29-30 because it's when players attributes start declining heavily

Best age is when they start to decline, or when they aren't developing (in the case of young players).

When you're a smaller club it's a bit tough cos you've got to keep an eye on finances, but once you're making it and are becoming a bigger and bigger club I don't really think you should be concerned.

I just sell fringe players that are above the age of 23. Currently dominating Europe with Liverpool. If they don't play a part then sell them unless they've got high potential.

when I see that a player's attributes start to decline heavily then I sell him... usually it happens at age 30 :)

Aim to build a squad of two players for each position, plus a clutch of youth academy players. The time to sell the older player is when your younger player is ready to step up and take over without harming the overall quality of your first team squad. Then the youth player should be coming up behind him - having already been out on loan for a season or two to aid his development - to ensure you still have two players per position.

You won't normally be able to do that for every position, but if you do it enough then you can concentrate your transfer budget on signing fewer but better players. Occasionally, you'll have a potential superstar among your new youth intake - typically aged 16. So if you aim to get him into the first team by the age of 20 or 21, you know you can sign an older player to do a job for the first team in that same position until the youngster is ready to take over. You can even have that older player tutor the youngster, too.

It all depends on what role/level they play in your team and whether you plan to promote a younger player or have a plan to bring in a specific player to replace. Also depends on the team, EG: Man Utd or Portsmouth? Portsmouth can't afford to be letting a 32yr old go as much as Man Utd. Position also depends, wingers key attributes (ie: speed) will drop by age 30ish where a CB (ie: tackling) won't decline so much until later.

In general, when a player is approaching 30 I start planning his future. If he is a squad player I might look to sell him at age 30 to get in some money for him but if he is a key player I will hold onto him for a few years. You're probly not gonna sell Ibra, Messi or Ronaldo just because they are 30. I'd only look to sell those players 33+ and when their wage is too much for how much they are actually producing.

When you notice performance and attributes starting to drop, good time to sell because they will still hold their value for a while until that 'level' of performance is the norm and you can no longer get much for them.