Reaction score
Aston Villa 1-0 Newcastle
_45818618_newc2.jpg

Newcastle United's 16-year stay in the top flight ended in the tamest fashion possible as they dropped into the Championship with defeat at Aston Villa.
Damien Duff's unfortunate own goal - deflecting in Gareth Barry's 20-yard shot seven minutes before the interval - ensured Alan Shearer's mission to save Newcastle from relegation ended in devastating failure.
Newcastle's performance was a prime example of why they have failed to survive this season, lacking any fire and urgency despite the scale of the prize on offer if they escaped.
And seconds before referee Chris Foy blew the whistle on Newcastle's Premier League existence, defender David Edgar summed up a desperate day when he was sent off for his second bookable offence after fouling Ashley Young.
Newcastle had opportunites to grasp at a lifeline in the first half, with Obafemi Martins firing off target and Mark Viduka having a shot cleared off the line by Carlos Cuellar. Alan Shearer has confirmed

[video=youtube;PHY29G3I5-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHY29G3I5-A[/video]​

_41617902_brum2.jpg

Birmingham defeated in Playoff Final
Club lose to Derby on penalties after goalless game
Birmingham City failed in their attempt to be promoted to the Premier League as they were victims of a cruel penalty defeat to Derby County. The game ended goalless and went into extra time with no goals being scored. The match went to penalties where Birmingham lost 5-4 on penalties. The game was Lee Clark's final game in charge as he was sacked shortly after the game for expressing his interest in leaving to join Newcastle. Alan Shearer was spotted at the game sparking rumours that he is the man to replace Clark. Birmingham City were recently taken over by businessman Pimenta Machado who saved the club from near administration. Machado's investment has seen the club debt massively reduced and the new chairman even promised a sizeable transfer budget for the club.

_69319070_shearer.jpg

Birmingham City appoint Alan Shearer
Newcastle legend replaces fellow Geordie Lee Clark as City boss
Alan Shearer has been appointed Birmingham City manager on a three year contract. Shearer had announced his intentions to return to management three weeks ago and has lived up to his promise. Shearer spoke to BBC Sport in his unveiling.
I'm delighted to be in charge of Birmingham City. The club had fallen under hard times and harshly came up short in the playoff final. However, things are looking up. The club's debt has been cut significantly and the new owner has given me a budget to bring in some top quality players. The club's vision is promotion and I'm pleased that I've been given the chance to take Birmingham to the Premier League.
When asked on replacing Lee Clark, Shearer paid respect to his predecessor.
Lee's a great guy. I played with him at Newcastle and he had no problems with me coming here. Lee left here on good terms and now he is the Hull boss and I wish him well.

macheda1101-1338511_231x264.jpg

Federico Macheda to sign for Birmingham permanently
Birmingham announce Macheda signs for just ?19,000
Birmingham star Federico Macheda has made his deal with Birmingham City permanent for only ?19,000 after his contract had just 21 days left to run. New Birmingham boss Alan Shearer spoke of his delight at signing the Italian.
I'm delighted he agreed to stay, he scored 22 goals in 45 league games last season and was a terrific player. I was a bit worried other clubs would gazump us so I acted quickly and called David Moyes who agreed to let Federico join us before his contract expired in exchange for a small fee. I can't wait to see his goal haul this season.
Macheda announced his delight at making his move permanent on the club website;
I'm delighted that I am making my stay here permanent. I've been loaned to a lot of clubs in the past and this club feels like home. I had a great season last year and I hope to build on it and score more goals for this fantastic club.

images
images

Birmingham City sign Manchester United duo
Alan Shearer signs two more Manchester United youngsters.
Alan Shearer has signed former on loan stars Jesse Lingard and Tom Thorpe permanently after their deals were due to expire. Thorpe has signed on a free transfer and Lingard signed before his contract expired like Federico Macheda but for ?100,000. Alan Shearer announced the two were stars in the making.
I'm delighted Jesse and Tom agreed to come back, their deals were up and they both knew the club. They're both top players and their determination to succeed is clear.

Last edited:
vydil.jpg

Birmingham seal Vydra signing
Czech star signs pre-contract agreement with Blues
Birmingham City have announced Matej Vydra has signed a pre-contract agreement with the club. Vydra scored 12 goals in 31 league games for West Brom and his contract is due to expire in a few days time. Vydra will play in the Championship with Birmingham next season and Vydra has said he has no intentions of stopping his goal tally from increasing.
I am very happy to be a part of the regeneration of Birmingham City. I agreed to join this great club due to Alan Shearer. I look up to him because of his goalscoring record and I believe he can help me develop my game and help me become a lethal striker. I've scored thirty two goals in the last two seasons and I hope I can build on that number.

David-Edgar_2514742.jpg

Birmingham City sign David Edgar
Canadian's contract expires and Birmingham pick him up.
Birmingham City have continued to sign players this time in the name of David Edgar. Edgar spent five seasons with Burnley with one of those being in the Premier League, Edgar also spent three seasons at Newcastle making 19 league appearances scoring two goals.

12943.png

Birmingham City sign Carlos Cuellar
Birmingham City have signed experienced centre-back Carlos Cuellar on a free transfer. Cuellar was recently released by Sunderland. Cuellar brings with him Premier League experience making over 100 appearances in the division. Cuellar's signing is controversial due to the player's history with rivals Aston Villa. Manager Alan Shearer has urged fans to look past this and support the player and the team.

Last edited:
images

Wayne Bridge signs for Birmingham
Birmingham make another signing, this time in the form of Wayne Bridge
Ex-England international Wayne Bridge has signed a one year deal to play for Birmingham City. Bridge is the latest of signings for the Midlands club and Bridge brings with him 36 caps for England scoring one goal. Bridge played for Chelsea and Manchester City before being loaned to West Ham, Brighton and then signing with Reading.

Last edited: