If I sign a 18 years old player, will he be homegrown?

As I stated, the player must be trained for 3 years by the time they reach their 21st birthday (and must be trained for that period in the same country as your own team if loaned out).

wait, wait, wait...

do I understand that right:

If i have 17 year old Brazilian (in Belgium), I get him homegrown in 2 ways:
1. train him in my club for 3 years
2. loan him to any club in my country for that period (3 years).

Do you mean homegrown also as club-grown?

wait, wait, wait...

do I understand that right:

If i have 17 year old Brazilian (in Belgium), I get him homegrown in 2 ways:
1. train him in my club for 3 years
2. loan him to any club in my country for that period (3 years).

Do you mean homegrown also as club-grown?

Yes.

Club grown = player trained at the club for a period of 3 years before their 21.
Home grown = player trained in the same nation for 3 years before their 21.

It gets worse, I signed the player Romario da Silva Santos and he joined my team on 30.1.2013, the transfer window's first day. He was 19 at the time, he was born on 18.12.1993 so when he joined my team he was already 19. So, I started to think why on 29.6.2015 my squad page states that he will be trained at club. I think it has something to do with UEFA's squad registration date(august-september if I recall correct) for the group stage of the two competitions.

View attachment 297775View attachment 297776View attachment 297777

Alternative solution to the dilemma about foreign players: fulfill the home-grown requirements by bringing through the kids from your academy. It's not just the 4-star plus wonderkids who deserve a go in the first team, if you show patience and give them their chance, your academy will give you a few perfectly good squad players. If you use them to fulfill the home-grown rule, you don't have to worry about overspending on unproven potential or which club to loan players to.

And let's not forget, the entire point of the home-grown rule is to support local players, not to benefit foreign clubs by making you overpay for kids who aren't old enough to drink.

If you signed a player that are under 18 and 364 days years old(as long as he didn't turn into 19 y.o. yet), they will be classified as a home-grown player.

Alternative solution to the dilemma about foreign players: fulfill the home-grown requirements by bringing through the kids from your academy. It's not just the 4-star plus wonderkids who deserve a go in the first team, if you show patience and give them their chance, your academy will give you a few perfectly good squad players. If you use them to fulfill the home-grown rule, you don't have to worry about overspending on unproven potential or which club to loan players to.

And let's not forget, the entire point of the home-grown rule is to support local players, not to benefit foreign clubs by making you overpay for kids who aren't old enough to drink.

Of course but when your youth intake is constantly full of rubbish then your forced to look elsewhere for youth players.