I'm a romantic, says Xavi, heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain

Capello has said he wants Wilshire to play this role for England.. :'(

If this is the case i can't hold out much hope for McEachrans career at international level. Beside that, as i said before the english football culture is too entrenched, i can't see many fans/cocahes/fellow players trusting two small technical players in the middle without sticking a big boshing unit in behind them, thus probably meaning Rooney is isolated up front alone as we don't have the type of widemen to play a Barca style at international level.

Lucky then that Postman Pat buggers off after 2012. :)
when i read that i asummed he wanted to release him along side a holding player, not as the deepest man, if so that is a waste of epic proportions and i totally agree about the fears for MacEachran

In the states we try to imitate English football and that's how it is, and we have no one in our pool with any creativity or ball skills (Dempsey is the exception, as was Reyna back then, we also had John O'Brien and Tab Ramos but they got their skills abroad).

Didn't you just lose that kid who's doing well at Estudiantes La Plata? I read he was told not to bother by the USA national coaching setup so opted to accept the call from the Argentina U20's?

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

when i read that i asummed he wanted to release him along side a holding player, not as the deepest man, if so that is a waste of epic proportions and i totally agree about the fears for MacEachran

Wilshire even said in the interview after the game, sitting back is not my favourite role, or the role i play for Arsenal, but it does have some similarities and the coach wants me to play there, and i'll play anywhere for my country.

Didn't you just lose that kid who's doing well at Estudiantes La Plata? I read he was told not to bother by the USA national coaching setup so opted to accept the call from the Argentina U20's?

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Wilshire even said in the interview after the game, sitting back is not my favourite role, or the role i play for Arsenal, but it does have some similarities and the coach wants me to play there, and i'll play anywhere for my country.
What. A. Waste.

In Parker, we have as close as we can get to Song, now that Hargreaves career is all but over, or you could deploy Thudd. But no, we choose the worst of all three options

Rodwell could be the answer provided he isn't snaffled by Utd and turned into a Rio replacement (wouldn't be a bad thing, but would mean our DM options are restricted to big boshers aside from Thudd or the ageing Hargreaves/Parker/Barry)

Read the whole interview, found it entertaining and honest. I like some of his answers, he seems to really recognise England as a great Footballing Nation which I appreciate. He seems really animated in his interviews too which is a nice change from other, more tedious, players.

Last edited:
Excellent interview. The only Xavi's interview that i liked.

Technical aspect is so underrated in England, when some club is linked with any player, first question is Can he cope with physical nature of the league. Why is it always like that.

Hope in future this changes.

Rodwell could be the answer provided he isn't snaffled by Utd and turned into a Rio replacement (wouldn't be a bad thing, but would mean our DM options are restricted to big boshers aside from Thudd or the ageing Hargreaves/Parker/Barry)
Rodwell :wub:

we are coming through with young players who are capable of a genuine passing game, and we shouldn't be afraid to use them. We seem so hesistant to learn from the continent

you are where we we were about 5 years ago. we are getting better slowly, team sunderland are mixing styles and playing more of a passing game, with lots of pressing.

agree about the youth development, its a huge issue still, though we are talking small steps in the right direction (all being slowed by the money men at the top of the permier league and the impotency of the FA)

Do you think weather has anything to do with it, since it's so cold and rainy in the UK? If you look at the nations that emphasize technique, they're all from warm dry climates: Spain, Portugal, most of Latin America (especially Argentina and Brazil). I feel like the English kids can only play with their friends for fun for like half the year (and there's other things to do, like play video games) whereas in Argentina, it's a year round sport, and the kids don't have other things to do. When I played football there everyone was just miles ahead of me, there were 13 year old kids that could walk onto almost any field in the US, and this was just in some random small town. If you play there sport all of the time as kids, you're going to be very skilled and have those creative instincts. If the youth coaches are good and don't beat it out of you (they definitely don't in Latin America), then you can become that type of player.

In the US, our kids don't really play it (they start way too late, when they're like 10, and they play on an organized team and not pickup with their friends) so they don't have the touch or creativity, and the ones that do are quickly chastised by their coaches. Even just playing in a rec league my teammates would be furious with me if I didn't just boot it up the field. "Every time you dribble the ball you slow the attack and give time for their defenders to get between us on the goal," my teammate said to me once, really ****** off. But it's not like I was slowing down counter-attacks, they'd be defending with 6-8 players and while we advanced up the field I'd take a few touches, wait for someone to make a good run, and pass it to them. The tempo of the games would always start ridiculously fast, and then everyone would get tired and it would slow to about half-speed after 30 minutes, and by the end was at a snail's pace. No team could usually maintain possession, it was random kicking and running. When I tried to not play like that and slow down the tempo, everyone would be furious with me.

I have no idea if the culture is like that Britain, but it definitely is in the US, and from the bottom levels to the top we glorify the old British style of play. Quite a shame.

Christian Eriksen and Xavi, are they related or what?
16790399_400_37833l.jpg

hahahaha that is uncanny!

Michael Hoyos? Well, as far as I know, the USA coaching staff really wanted the guy but his family moved back to Argentina 3 years ago and he apparently decided to play for his parents national team.

Michael Hoyos, who is playing at Argentina's best team (Estudiantes). He was in our U-20 set up. If we had an 18 year old playing for Lyon, Porto, Ajax, etc. (comparable teams if you compare the strengths of the leagues) we'd have called him to the senior team in a heartbeat. But since he's playing in Latin America, I guess he doesn't deserve a look. Well, he got called up to the Argentine SENIOR national team while he was still playing for us on the U-20 team and starting for Estudiantes. Our U-20 coach said that he should take Argentina, since "if you had to choose between playing with us and Messi, go with Messi" or something like that. He didn't tell him that he probably won't play much for Argentina, and that even if he does, he'll never be a star for them or remembered. If he played for the US, however, he could be one of our best all-time players, make sports history in the most important country in the world, and be almost guaranteed a spot on the national team (not to mention, serve the country he grew up in). I don't know why we can't tell our young dual nationals this. Well, we missed our chance as he's declared for Argentina even though he was born and raised in the US.

I can't even describe how furious I still am about this. He's exactly what we need, someone whose best attribute isn't size, "speed," fitness, or "heart." Argentina is my favorite footballing nation, and this will probably be the only chance in my lifetime we'll have a player who went through the Argentine youth system and plays in the league there. It's an absolute travesty that we lost him and not the first time this has happened. We lost Neven Subotic, who previously declared who wanted to play with us, because our U-20 coach (the same guy) ****** him off. We also lost Giuseppe Rossi.

If were we Canada or Trinidad and Tobaggo I would understand but we're a mid-tier footballing nation that qualifies for every cup and gives our players the chance to make history.

Do you think weather has anything to do with it, since it's so cold and rainy in the UK? If you look at the nations that emphasize technique, they're all from warm dry climates: Spain, Portugal, most of Latin America (especially Argentina and Brazil). I feel like the English kids can only play with their friends for fun for like half the year (and there's other things to do, like play video games) whereas in Argentina, it's a year round sport, and the kids don't have other things to do. When I played football there everyone was just miles ahead of me, there were 13 year old kids that could walk onto almost any field in the US, and this was just in some random small town. If you play there sport all of the time as kids, you're going to be very skilled and have those creative instincts. If the youth coaches are good and don't beat it out of you (they definitely don't in Latin America), then you can become that type of player.

In the US, our kids don't really play it (they start way too late, when they're like 10, and they play on an organized team and not pickup with their friends) so they don't have the touch or creativity, and the ones that do are quickly chastised by their coaches. Even just playing in a rec league my teammates would be furious with me if I didn't just boot it up the field. "Every time you dribble the ball you slow the attack and give time for their defenders to get between us on the goal," my teammate said to me once, really ****** off. But it's not like I was slowing down counter-attacks, they'd be defending with 6-8 players and while we advanced up the field I'd take a few touches, wait for someone to make a good run, and pass it to them. The tempo of the games would always start ridiculously fast, and then everyone would get tired and it would slow to about half-speed after 30 minutes, and by the end was at a snail's pace. No team could usually maintain possession, it was random kicking and running. When I tried to not play like that and slow down the tempo, everyone would be furious with me.

I have no idea if the culture is like that Britain, but it definitely is in the US, and from the bottom levels to the top we glorify the old British style of play. Quite a shame.
its still quite like this here. many coaches at the bottom only care about winning, so they can boast about it down the pub. My brother quit playing football because of the way the discouraged the way he played, and he was good, i mean really good. When we moved back down to london he started playing for clubs properly with Kelvin etuhu (they went to the same school, and were close friends) he was definitely the better of the two, but lost his drive for the game becuse of the way it was taught.

Last edited: