dannyboy50

Reaction score
Hi, it seems a bit strange but ive just started a season with Manchester United, and with help from awalker14, we are winning more often than not.

View attachment 307643

My problem is that (and i know im being padantic) is that we are winning games, but allowing the opposition too many shots on goal. My worry is that eventually, it's gonna come back to bite us.

Just wondered if im worrying too much, or if there is a potential reason why this is happening??

View attachment 307644

Any thoughts?

Your back line is probably getting quite isolated from your pivot. When Nainggolan challenges for the ball up field and doesn't get it, their attacking players have a clear run at your back 4. Funnily enough I imagine your problem is a bit like United's in real life, in that players will often be able to waltz through your midfield and have plenty of time to start dribbling or whack a shot in from range.

Your back line is probably getting quite isolated from your pivot. When Nainggolan challenges for the ball up field and doesn't get it, their attacking players have a clear run at your back 4. Funnily enough I imagine your problem is a bit like United's in real life, in that players will often be able to waltz through your midfield and have plenty of time to start dribbling or whack a shot in from range.

Right, so any ideas on how i remedie this? do i need to pull defensive line a bit further forward??

You can either pull the defensive line up or push the 2 holding midfielders back.

It all depends, what type of shots are you conceding?

1) long shots and attempts at goal is a bit of a problem on the current patch and ME.. so that is a given and cannot be nullified at the moment.. only to a small degree

2) your results are pretty good since the City loss (the Aston Villa loss was unfortunate at home) but that is football.. remember, this is not Fm12 anymore mate.. you cannot just hit spacebar and continue the game without actually managing

3) what exactly are you after? do you want to close up shop after going 2 or 3 up as you are not conceding that many goals recently..

what you can do is set Vidic to Stopper and let Naingollan (never run from deep) and close down just under halfway to ensure he sits further back.. Carrick can be a bit more creative and push a little higher up and if opp do get passed him, its Naingollan next in line then after the Vidic then Ferdinand...

most of the time the opp will play back or outwide which will give your players time to get back into position if you have the wingers set to tight man marking and making them get back

As usual Raikan007 your absolutely right. I'm after getting my team to be creative in attack while being dilligent in defence (impossible dream???)

Thanks for the advice

As usual Raikan007 your absolutely right. I'm after getting my team to be creative in attack while being dilligent in defence (impossible dream???)

Thanks for the advice

you could always (for the main tactic) drop the two CM's (as mentioned above) and have Carrick as DLP - Support with Naingollan as DM - Support.. set Carrick as Playmaker and set his passing to direct/long with Naingollans on short so once the ball has been won back he looks to set it off quickly to Carrick (so untick hold up ball from Naingollan) and give him no instructions to play through balls or long shots/cross

set focus passing down both wings and set the wingers to run from deep sometimes but run with ball often so they drop a bit deeper to get the pass (in case of interceptions from the opp players) and then attack..

or have them MR and ML (wingers attack) set wideplay to Normal to let them decide what to do off and with the ball (they are good enough for it)

play direct and at a quick tempo (you have the right players to play that way) and use shouts like exploits flanks/pass into space

have the defenders set to Cover when playing against quick strikers and defend when playing against teams like Stoke/Norwich etc..

having RVP or Rooney as DLF also helps in them dropping deeper to receive Carricks ball and turn to play it forward or wide :)

just a few idea's to consider.. not all of them will work or work together.. just food for thought :)

Cheers Raikan007, it'll be a matter of testing these idea's. thanks for your help