Importance Of Morale - Phatmos Morale Theory

I'd better check these too.

I was playing with Sunderland against Burnley today at home. Pre-match team talk was "For the fans!". At half time the result was 3-0 and I set the team talk to "Don't let your performance drop". Burnley scored 4 in the second half and I lost the game.

So what happened here? Did my players get overconfident?

So what would you have said for an away game to Roma? I would have said for the fans i think.
Well for the 4-0 hiding i said nothing as i was favorite to win.For the 2-1 win i said for the fans,however i may have got this wrong because ive just looked at Inter's info and Roma are a rival although not a fierce one so maybe should of said for the fans anyway instead of nothing.

That said ill never be a fan of no teamtalk before a match.

PHP:
Well for the 4-0 hiding i said nothing as i was favorite to win.For the 2-1 win i said for the fans,however i may have got this wrong because ive just looked at Inter's info and Roma are a rival although not a fierce one so maybe should of said for the fans anyway instead of nothing.

That said ill never be a fan of no teamtalk before a match.

JP I'm not surprised to be honest. It was your first game using the team talk theory & I asked to post results after at least 15 games. Thats just like changing tactic, playing it for one game. Not winning and saying I'll never use that again. (there was no jelling time) Also do you save before every match? And if you don't win do you play the game again?

One thing to keep in mind is that player personality does seem to effect how individual players react to the talks. To me, this is the most important reason to build a team of players who all have a similar personality. I find that with a team of mostly professional, determined, or resolute (or anything along those lines), whenever I bring in a guy with a different personality (even balanced, lighthearted, etc), he often reacts completely opposite from the rest of the team when I give a talk. If you have a team with all the same personality, you can get a feel for how they'll react in any given circumstance over the course of a few seasons.

Also, and this is a connection I'm less certain about, but I find that sometimes veterans react negatively ("seemed to switch off") when younger guys react positively, especially when I'm "encouraging." I figure they're holding themselves to higher standards than I am. But frankly, I'd rather the young guys get positive reactions; those old guys are mostly only there for tutoring and leadership, anyway. :)

Overall, I feel like it's all about managing egos. I'm usually more successful with mid-match and post game talks, because I think about how they played, where they are in their career, who they played against, what kind of pressure is on them, (probably other things too) and then react. I have tangible evidence to go off of. Unfortunately, I seem to do a worse job predicting how they're going to feel playing against a team until we actually get through a half vs. them, so my pre-game talks are conservative, and I'm generally happy to get 2 or 3 players in the green.

EDIT: Also, if you have a team with professional players, you can be disappointed with them even if they put in average performances. I'm not sure what the emotion tabs do, I always speak calmly, but I've told them I'm disappointed on average (6.5-7.0) performances and gotten the entire team "looks fired up" or "looks motivated."

As an overall, don't blow smoke. If they played like ****, let them know, especially if they have good determination. But if they had a solid, gutsy win, definitely make sure to let them know, because they're probably proud of it, and saying nothing on a win where they dig it out forfeits the chance to get an across-the-board morale boost. However, if they beat up on a wimpy opponent, sometimes it's better to say "Good job, but you can do better," or whatever.

Last edited:
Team talk is essential. That's for sure. I've played FM 2010 for a long time now and discovered one thing. With the team talk you can get impossible results happen. The key in pre-match team talk is to motivate your players - Against rivals - "For the fans." for example. Against smaller teams " You can win " when you're playing away from home. Works good against similar clubs to yours. Against bigger clubs " We have nothing to lose" when you're on their turf (you can also try it at home) and " Wish luck " at home. I've never used " I expect win " and I don't think I will. If a player had a good run the previous games you could say to him " Pick up where you left off" or "Expect a performance". If a player is with low morale (below good) than tell him that you have faith in him or that there is no pressure on him.

For Half-time teamtalk my philosophy is that you must be honest. If you see your team doing good/great then tell them you're pleased/delighted. It'll motivate them to keep it up. I've used " Don't get careless " or " Encourage " but I don't prefer those two options. If your team is doing bad (below expectations) then tell them you're dissapointed. Never show your anger ("Angry"). Never tell them they were an embarassment even if you are playing with Barcelona and lose at home to Tenerife for example. If you are playing with a low profile club and you are losing at halftime to a bigger/much bigger club by 1/2 goals and your players are playing good, but not great then tell them " Sympathise" or "Encourage" them. Don't be harsh. If you're losing by 3+ you can tell them you're dissapointed. If a player is not doing good (with stats lower than 6.5/6.6) at half time you can tell him that there is no pressure on him especially if he is under 21/22 no matter if he is Pato/Aguero or some low profile player. I don't prefer the "Prove a point" option. If a player is doing good/great then be honest like I said. Show that to him.

That's it from me. :)