Important Tip for using Inverted Wing Backs(I had it COMPLETELY WRONG)

Han106

Reaction score
So, IWBs have been the rave since I started playing in FM 20 and the problem I always had with them is that all my full backs always had a hit to their role rating whenever they were playing IWB until I took over Leeds during my Journeyman save and I came across this guy, Stuart Dallas, who was the first one NOT to have this penalty. After looking at it a bit, I realized it's not necessarily the stats that determine the IWB role rating, it's the preferred foot. Opposite of the a typical winger/Wing Back which needs to have the same sided foot for crossing. The inverted Wing-Back needs to have the opposite sided foot while playing for cutting inside when the player has the ball. It's intuitive now I think about it, but I honestly had no idea and it pained my OCD for days.

Anyway, TL;DR For the IWB tactics, make sure to train your young IWB fullbacks to the side opposite of their preferred foot. I.E LB needs a right foot preference and RB needs a left foot preference. Hope this helps anyone that is trying to use the OP OP tactics from Tactics Testing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_204.png
    Screenshot_204.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 1,750
What penalty are you talking about? If you mean the star rating for roles or the green circles from previous years, they don't mean ****. It's just a visual representation for a player's 'best role'. Only attributes affect how a player will fare in a specific role.

It's FM's role rating and how suited a player is to play the role. While I usually agree with putting players where they have the best attributes, as with inverted wingers, inverted wingbacks cut inside alot easier when they can do it on their preferred foot. It's not just about FM's role rating.
What penalty are you talking about? If you mean the star rating for roles or the green circles from previous years, they don't mean ****. It's just a visual representation for a player's 'best role'. Only attributes affect how a player will fare in a specific role.

This question about Inverted Wing Backs as best when having their stronger foot like Inverted Wingers and Inside Forwards opposite the wing is a constant question to me as well.

The description in the game no longer says players' stronger foot needs to be opposite the flank. That's interesting.

Not sure if that means much, also being aware of real life tactics where Inverted Wing Backs are used with players who have their stronger foot on the outside, but may be at least pretty strong with both feet.

I've been trying to figure this out since I went with IWB recently. Interestingly I'm also using one Inverted Winger, but they are allowed to roam so that might impact things.

Also, seems with IWB they can run down the wing a but but then cut inside. They can still cross with their stronger foot in those instances, but I know the role doesn't indicate this as a required attribute.

Have wondered if the player trait "cuts inside" from that wing matters. I assume it does, but I haven't noticed it enough to see.