Improve my squad - Sunderland 3rd season

1jakebrown

Reaction score
Hi all,

After a over achieving first season, winning the Capital One Cup and finishing 7th the second season with increased Europa League fixtures had a serious impact on my league campaign. With arguably a stronger team, we were very inconstant and finished in 10th place. Still brilliant for Sunderland IMO.

I would love your thought at where I can improve my team. Having sold Lucas Romero to City for £80 including add ons, I would say a central midfielder is needed first and foremost.

Transfer budget £10M.

Goalkeepers
Pantilimon
Mannone

Not overly happy with either tbh, mediocre at best.

Defenders
Coates
Balanta (Chelsea interested)
Vergini
Van Alhont
Peruzzi

Midfielders

Rodwell
Larrson
Bridgcutt
Alvarez
Giaccarini
Johnson
Buckley
Ben Afra

Strikers
Benteke
Fletcher (no goals in 21!! transfer listed)
Wickham

Very thin squad I feel. A couple of injuries and we're f**ed

Feedback apprenticed :)

You sold romero for £80m and only have a £10m budget?!?!?!?

£50m upfront £30m over appearances & goals - but yeah only get 15% of the transfer fee.

Sunderland are debt ridden.....

Finished 5th in my first season with sunderland just about to start the second. Only player i signed was anderson from man u on loan - he was unreal. Anderson, Johnson and Rodwell were my star players. I used the beautiful play tactic which you can download in the tactics section - i would recommend it

Should have a look at ted bishop, george fowler, youngsters from ipswich, may not be first choice but may help bulk the squad up

Have you looked at Gaston Gil Romero? Effective and usually fairly cheap. Either that, or you could look into bringing someone like Rossiter in on loan for a year, which would cover you. Try the transfer list as well, there are occassionally some good bargains to be had. On mine currently, Wilshere, David Silva and Dzeko have all gone though the list at low prices.

Agree with godfish, the transfer list can be a great place to pick up quality players on the cheap, or even on loan

If you're that much in debt, buying young players and them selling them on for big money would be the best way forward. There's loads of lists of the best young/cheap players around, but I'd recommend: FM Stories • Best FM 2015 Players

Transfer budget £10M.

Goalkeepers
Pantilimon
Mannone

Not overly happy with either tbh, mediocre at best.

Sell the worst. Jefferson - Brazil national team GK should be available. He's old but he can do a job for you for a season. If you play it well you ll even make money. Alternatively go for the other Brazil GK (used to play for QPR name escapes me unlikely to be too exp)

Defenders
Coates
Balanta (Chelsea interested)
Vergini
Van Alhont
Peruzzi

Dont sell Balanta. Look at Ezequiel Munoz who is class and usually very reasonably priced. Look at Scandinavia and esp Norway. If RASMUS THELANDER is available cheaply go for him.

Midfielders

Rodwell
Larrson
Bridgcutt
Alvarez
Giaccarini
Johnson
Buckley
Ben Afra

Gas Gil Romero/Kranevitter/Neves from FCP may be loanable (even if he's not loan listed make an offer)

Strikers
Benteke
Fletcher (no goals in 21!! transfer listed)
Wickham

Pick one (at least) of the following players (listed with order of preference):

Carlos (Atl. Mineiro)
Malcom
Boye (Argentinian)

Dont transfer list players it doesnt make them easier to shift. Search the forum for RAIKAN's thread of how to sell players. It STILL works mostly.

To buy players use mostly instalments. Keep pestering the board for more money and/or transfer percentage (every 3/4 months).

Finished 5th in my first season with sunderland just about to start the second. Only player i signed was anderson from man u on loan - he was unreal. Anderson, Johnson and Rodwell were my star players. I used the beautiful play tactic which you can download in the tactics section - i would recommend it

Which is the beautiful play tactic can't find it?

Ben Arfa at Sunderland :S

I'd throw the lot in the bin and start a fresh ^^)

Can you tell i'm a Newcastle fan haha.