1jakebrown

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just finished my 3rd season with Sunderland. Managed to nick 4th place on the last day on GD from Arsenal and win the Europa League v Newcastle. Injuries and fixture congestion killed me towards the end of the season where I could mounted a half decent title challenge. I will post my team below, pleas let me how you think I can improve.

My goals for the upcoming season are; Genuine title challenge, Qualify from the group stages of UCL & win one Domestic Cup - yes, they may seem high expectations but we are going places ;).

Goalkeepers
Marc Ter-Stergan
Fraser Forster

Full Backs
Carvajal
Jonathan Silva
Kieran Trippier
Dossena (retiring)
Regen (4 star PA)

Centre Backs
Balanta
Papadopolous
John O'Shea
Eric Dier

Central Midfielders
Kesiuki Honda
Schendinan
Lewis Holtby
Kevin De Bruyne
Gareth Barry

Wide Midfielders
Oxlade-Chamberlin
Tom Ince
Giaccirini

Strikers
Jese (30+ goals)
Mitrovic (30+ goals)
Steven Fletcher

Formation I play varies. Have really mixed formations up this FM changing from a solid 4-4-2 with Jese and Mitrovic up front, a counter 4-5-1 and a open attacking playing 4-2-3-1. Any suggestions and thoughts on everything will be appreciated.

I do have money to spend because of the success from last season and qualifing for the UCL.

And for the record FM Editor has not been used!!

thats a good squad dont need to improve a lot really maybe a couple midfielders like will hughes and a ball winner to replace barry and cover schnidelin someone like romero tiote anita (beast on one my early saves) allow rivalry could be a prop and a cb to replace o shea

How did you get Ter-Stegen, Papadopoulus, Balanta and Mitrovic on Sunderland's budgets?

I would say wingers also.

Just about to continue my Sunderland season also, about Nov in 3rd season

How did you get Ter-Stegen, Papadopoulus, Balanta and Mitrovic on Sunderland's budgets?

I would say wingers also.

Just about to continue my Sunderland season also, about Nov in 3rd season

Balanta in first window ?7.5M ?1M upfront the rest over 32 months. Papa was transfer listed by United for ?6M. Mitrovic was ?12M and Ter-Stergen was transfer listed b/c he was unhappy.

I'd agree that you need 2 new wingers. I know Giaccherini will be getting on into his 30s now for you. I bought Valentin Stocker when I made it into the CL and he was fantastic on the left wing. Ruben Garcia is more pacey and probably better for counter attacking tactics, but he can also play on the right to cut inside if you prefer that. As for right wing I bought Allione on the cheap with a promising regen adding cover. At your point in the save though, these may be financially difficult as you need to get lucky on their value I guess.

You have lots of quality in the first team so I wouldn't make many changes there. Instead I would look to promising regens as there will be lots of them floating around by the 4th season. What I do is take the age down 18 on the player search (or whatever age the oldest regen is roughly) and change the amount of international caps to 1 and see if there is any decent nations who have had a youngster break into the first team already as these are most likely to be better quality than the ones who play for Moldova and have 30 caps already. Found some bargains working this way.

I'd agree that you need 2 new wingers. I know Giaccherini will be getting on into his 30s now for you. I bought Valentin Stocker when I made it into the CL and he was fantastic on the left wing. Ruben Garcia is more pacey and probably better for counter attacking tactics, but he can also play on the right to cut inside if you prefer that. As for right wing I bought Allione on the cheap with a promising regen adding cover. At your point in the save though, these may be financially difficult as you need to get lucky on their value I guess.

Yeah, I realised I had a lack of depth out wide and will look to sort that tonight. I offered Allione a contract when he had 6 months left at Barcelona but he opted to sign a new contract with Barca which damaged my hopes of a serious challenge. I have been using De Bruyne as an Inside Forward at times but have thought about re-training Jese to this role.

You have lots of quality in the first team so I wouldn't make many changes there. Instead I would look to promising regens as there will be lots of them floating around by the 4th season. What I do is take the age down 18 on the player search (or whatever age the oldest regen is roughly) and change the amount of international caps to 1 and see if there is any decent nations who have had a youngster break into the first team already as these are most likely to be better quality than the ones who play for Moldova and have 30 caps already. Found some bargains working this way.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely have a look into that tonight.

I think adding wingers to your side would be a good idea, Wilfried Zaha, Thomas Ince, Vladimir Weiss, Alexander Buttner (LB but plays well on left wing too) Nathan Redmond, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Your at a similar stage to me, so may find the likes of Junior Hoilett on a free or Adam Johnson for cheap as I have noticed them. Jesse Lingard is also doing well for me at the minute, stats not amazing, but scoring and assisting from left wing average rating about 7.6 at the minute.

hows jese been for you looking at signing him

Jese has been amazing. Scored 30+ goals first season with 10 assist. I retained him as an Inside Forward but still utalised him as a CF (a). Great buy I definitely recommend.

I think adding wingers to your side would be a good idea, Wilfried Zaha, Thomas Ince, Vladimir Weiss, Alexander Buttner (LB but plays well on left wing too) Nathan Redmond, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Your at a similar stage to me, so may find the likes of Junior Hoilett on a free or Adam Johnson for cheap as I have noticed them. Jesse Lingard is also doing well for me at the minute, stats not amazing, but scoring and assisting from left wing average rating about 7.6 at the minute.

I added Vitiniho and James Rodriguez on a free - couldn't beleive my luck! Both been amazing only 10 games in. helped me win super cup against cheslea.