Improving Ireland with Sligo Rovers

All these qualifiers must still be helping bring a bit of cash into the club hopefully

Got £1.6m in the bank at the moment but the board won't let me scout outside Ireland. I'd rather use the money to get better players than on facilities at the moment but might not have a choice if I'm unable to find anyone to sign!

Europa League 4th Qualifying Round

The first leg of our Europa League 4th​ Qualifying Round match was at home to KRC Genk, who finished third in Belgium last year. What we needed was to keep things tight and not give too much away.

View attachment 23131

Ah. Great.

Leandro Trossard tore us to shreds and left us with little hope in the second leg.

In between the first and second leg I wanted a nice uneventful league game. Instead we got a red card after 23 seconds

View attachment 23130

But still managed to win the game against bottom of the table Cabinteely

View attachment 23128

Back in the Europa League, we remained with little hope of qualifying for the group stage until the 83rd​ minute of the second leg when Shayne Lavery got our second goal of the night

View attachment 23124

With the aggregate at 4-3 surely we could not pull off the impossible?

Well… no we couldn’t

View attachment 23123

If only we had not played so poorly in the first leg! Once again we miss out on the Europa League group stage at the final hurdle.

View attachment 23122

This year it was mainly down to Trossard, who is on £29,000 a week.

View attachment 23121

In comparison our entire first team squad combined is on about £13,000!

To make matters worse, Shamrock Rovers managed to get to the group stage!

View attachment 23120

I suppose it can only be good for Irish football but it doesn’t stop me from being envious of them.

Finally, in recent weeks we have made 2 new signings. The first is centre back Japhet Tanganga who has released by Spurs and the second is box-to-box midfielder Matty Willock who sort of hates me because we had no room for him in our Europa League squad.

View attachment 23119 View attachment 23118

With the Europa League to of the picture, it's time to win our second league title in three years!​

Win The League With a Tactic You Don't Like

For the third season in a row we’ve had a poor youth intake, no Sligo produced regen has played for us yet.

View attachment 22838

It’s annoying because with the facilities we have I was expecting at least a few players that were capable of being in the first team.

View attachment 22837

With a European run out of the window, I thought it’d be nice if we had a proper go at the FAI Cup… However Bohemian took us to a replay after scoring 2 screamers in a game that we dominated.

View attachment 22836

But I wasn’t to worry as I played my second string XI in that game. The strongest Sligo XI played in the replay to ensure that we won comfortably.

View attachment 22835

So of course we lost!

With that disappointment behind us, all that was left to play for was the league. With 4 games remaining our only rivals were Shamrock Rovers and they were the team that we faced in our 33rd​ league game of the season.

View attachment 22834

It was a truly mental game. There were red cards, dramatic comebacks and late penalties… all of which went in our favour.

View attachment 22833

A Mikey Drennan penalty in the last minute meant that we had effectively won the league as Shamrock were not going to better our goal difference of +49. All we had to do was get a draw against St Pats in our next game to confirm us as league winners.

Now, a question I need to ask you all is this:

What is the most underwhelming way to win a league title?

Well let me show you.

View attachment 22832

By losing 4-0 of course!

View attachment 22831

Shamrock Rovers’ result meant that, despite losing by the biggest margin since I’ve been in charge, we won the league for the second time in 3 seasons.

So on that note, it’s all good.

However that drubbing in our last game has got me worried. I’m not sure if a tactic change is needed or if the 4-0 loss was a one off. I don’t like to use downloaded tactics, as I like to create my own, but at the same time I really don’t like spending ages analysing every little detail in a tactic.

View attachment 22829

5-2-1-2 has been good for me but as we’ve got the best squad in the league I think any tactic would work.

We’re very leaky at the back, with 2 clean sheets in our last 12, and we always concede from deep crosses no matter what I do.

View attachment 22828

Accorsding to the analysis, we have too many long shots yet take too many touches in the opposition area… how are you meant to stop both from happening?!​

Season Review 2020

Airtricity Premier League: Winners
FAI Cup: Lost in QF to Bohemian
League of Ireland Cup: Lost in 1st​ Round to Longford
Scottish Challenge Cup: Semi Final (to be played in February 2021)
President’s Cup: Winners
Europa League: Knocked out in 4th Qualifying Round by Genk

View attachment 22745

So for the 2nd​ time in 3 seasons we won the league. Our tally of 76 points is our highest point tally to date. Elsewhere Derry and Longford were promoted from the First Division

View attachment 22740

Incredibly Cabinteely were relegated but won the cup, so will be playing in the Europa League next year!

View attachment 22739

Kelechi Nwakali was unsurprisingly Player of the Year in front of two other Sligo players. He also set the highest average rating.

View attachment 22738

But despite that he was not 1 of the 6 Sligo players in the team of the year. Makes perfect sense.

View attachment 22734

One of those who was in the team of the year was 17 year old Shane Dunne, who has been at the club for 18 months after signing from Institute in Northern Ireland and is coming on nicely.

View attachment 22733

Another was Shayne Lavery, who won the golden boot with 21 goals from 32 games.

View attachment 22731

We played 53 games this season, with 5 players scoring 10+ goals

View attachment 22730
View attachment 22729

And again we’ve been given a very healthy budget but we’ll be limited to frees and loans as the board still won’t let us scout outside Ireland!

View attachment 22728

Irish Football Summary – 2020

National Team Ranking: 58th (was 51st in 2019)
Nation Coefficient Ranking: 35th (was 35th in 2019)
Irish Teams in Europe: Shamrock Europa Group Stage, Dundalk Europa 3rd​ Round, Bohemian Europa 1st Round.

Next season is all about our European run; we need to get to the Europa League Group Stage at a minimum!​

2021 Season Preview

As we aim to progress as a club that means making tough decisions like letting Lee Lynch and Mikey Drennan leave.

View attachment 22575 View attachment 22574

They were our best players in our first season but sadly are no longer good enough so have left after their contracts expired.

A less upsetting departure is that of Jordan McEneff to Hull City for £300,000. We got him for free from Arsenal this time last year and he scored 7 goals in 43 games. Cheers Hull!

View attachment 22573

As for the transfers in... it was difficult. Board restrictions mean we can only spend a maximum wage of £2,500 a week on a player so it was difficult to attract real quality.

We have however made some decent free transfers in Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Will Keane, Rory Feely and the loan signing of Samir Carruthers.

View attachment 22572 View attachment 22571
View attachment 22570 View attachment 22569

Our most exciting signing is 18 year old Ryan Cassidy from Northern Irish club Larne, who hopefully we’ll be able to keep at the club for a number of years.

View attachment 22568

View attachment 22567

And we’ve managed to extend the loans of our star players from last season.

View attachment 22566

We only have Nwakali and Lewis for 5 months as their contracts expire at the end of June. We will try to get both on free transfers but their wage demands will probably be too high.

View attachment 22565 View attachment 22564

Alpha Dionkou and Conor Masterson are with us for the whole year. Masterson is entering his 4th​ year on loan at Sligo!

View attachment 22563 View attachment 22562

That’s enough screenshots of players for one post I think!

As expected we’re predicted to win the league.

View attachment 22561

And we have 9 players in the media dream XI.

View attachment 22560

Our season starts with the Scottish Challenge Cup semi-final against Welsh side Gap Connah's Quay FC, as you do.

View attachment 22559

But this season is all about our Champions League run, which will not be until we’ve played over half of our league games.​

Tactic Trouble

In our first game of the season we beat Gap Connah's Quay FC in the semi final of the Scottish Challenge Cup.

View attachment 22349

And that put us in the final against Scottish Championship side Ayr United.

View attachment 22348

Immediately after that we played in the Irish equivilant of the Community Shield against Cabinteely and won 1-0.

View attachment 22347

And we followed up that HUGE trophy with a win against Ayr a month later in the Challenge Cup final, beating them on penalties.

View attachment 22346

That secured possibly the most underwhelming double in football history. The Irn-Bru Cup and the Irish President’s Cup

View attachment 22345

I’m pretty sure we’re the first non-Scottish side to win the Irn-Bru/Scottish Challenge Cup but in all honesty I have no idea what the point of the competition is.

If anyone could enlighten me that’d be great. It seems like the Scottish version of the Checkatrade Trophy but worse.

Back to the glamour of the SSE Airtricity Premier League where we made a solid start, winning 5 of our first 6 games.

View attachment 22344

Then we played Derry.

View attachment 22343

This game convinced me to sack off the tactic, there is no way we should be losing 4-1 to anyone in this league never mind recently promoted Derry.

However this isn’t an isolated issue, we’ve had problems since the end of last season. For a team with the best goalkeeper and best defenders in the league, it baffles me just how much we concede. 2 clean sheets in 10 games this season is not acceptable.

View attachment 22342

I’ve definitely been naive as we’ve constantly conceded from crosses or from chances created in wide areas and that’s because only our wing backs provide width in a 5-2-1-2 formation.

A new tactic is needed and it’s going to have to be one that’s 4 at the back and contains either wingers or inside forwards… the slight problem is that we don’t have any wide players at the club!​

Well done on your double! Interested to see how Keane will get on being an Ipswich fan and him joining us IRL. You could try a 4-3-1-2 formation?

Well done on your double! Interested to see how Keane will get on being an Ipswich fan and him joining us IRL. You could try a 4-3-1-2 formation?

Keane is a weird one as I signed him knowing he was a Championship quality striker, which should mean he'd tear apart Ireland, but he's not rated highly by my scouts or assistants and hasn't started this season well.

And I'm concocting a 4-3-3 which seems to be going well so far. Need to go with full backs and wingers as we were just getting killed in wide areas every game. I've always gone with a 4-3-1-2 or 5-2-1-2 in FM but this year I can't seem to get it to work, so looks like Keane will have to be played as an inside forward for a while!

Just caught up on this - thoroughly enjoyable story so far! Hopefully you can break through into the group stages of the Europa League next season.

Tactical Genius

So… a new tactic has been created.

View attachment 22066

I have some weird thing in FM where I don’t like playing wingers so am training up a lot of players as inside forwards. Hopefully we can sign some naturals in that position when the contracts of players at English clubs expire in a couple of months.

And how is the tactic coping?

Very well actually. We’ve won 9 of our 10 games using it.

View attachment 22062

It was a record 8-1 win against Longford that convinced me that a 4-3-3 was the way to go, although I’m still unsure what role my striker should play.

View attachment 22061

A 5-2-1-2 was good to me but there was nothing I could do about teams who were strong in wide areas whereas a 4-3-3 covers all bases defensively.

The results mean we are doing well in the league. We’re 2 points clear with a game in hand.

View attachment 22060

Our star player this season has been box-to-box midfielder Matty Willock.

View attachment 22059

He has 9 goals and 3 assists in 11 league games. That makes him third highest scorer in the league, behind former Sligo man Drennan who joined Cork at the start of the year.

View attachment 22058

Also one of our 2 Northern Irish midfield regens, Shane Dunne, has made his senior debut for his nation.

View attachment 22057

View attachment 22056

So it is all looking fine again!

We have 5 more games until the summer break and then we will see how our tactic fares in the qualifying round of the Champions League!​

Inspired tactical change mate! That is a fantastic run of results. Even the 'bad' result was an away draw to a fancied opposition. You must be chuffed.

Inspired tactical change mate! That is a fantastic run of results. Even the 'bad' result was an away draw to a fancied opposition. You must be chuffed.

Yeah it's doing very well considering we don't have any natural wide players at the club! I'm hoping it's good enough to get us through the Champions League qualifiers though.

Sir Mick McCarthy

It seems we are the best team in Ireland by a mile. We can’t stop winning at the moment and, despite not having any inside forwards, the 4-3-3 is working a treat.

View attachment 21655

For the first time in the save we’re keeping regular clean sheets and in Ryan Cassidy we look like we have a real player on our hands.

View attachment 21654

In all honesty it’d be a miracle if we don’t win the league, we’re 13 points ahead and have a goal difference of +53

View attachment 21652

For some reason in this save Dundalk have been awful. They recently sacked their manager and were linked with the CSKA Sofia manager by the name of NESTOR EL MAESTRO!

View attachment 21651

There was only one person that Dundalk could get who would be a better manager than El Maestro… Mick McCarthy is now the boss at Dundalk!

View attachment 21650

And as if the news couldn’t get any better we’ve done some great business after the contracts of players at English clubs expired in June, which is halfway through our season.

We’ve managed to get Adam Lewis and Kelechi Nwakali on free transfers for relatively modest wages. Both have been key players since joining on loan last season.

View attachment 21649 View attachment 21648

We’ve also signed Dylan Levitt after his Man United contract expired. He was on loan at Sligo in the 2019 season.

View attachment 21646

We’ve also signed 4 players released from the under 18 sides of Premier League clubs. It’s my intention to try and get these players to other teams in Ireland if they are not good enough for us. After all, this save is as much about Ireland as it is Sligo.

View attachment 21644 View attachment 21643
View attachment 21642 View attachment 21641

Finally, the draw for the first qualifying round of the Champions League has been made.

View attachment 21640

We’ve been given a harsh draw against Azerbaijan champions Qarabag. It’s winnable but there were far worse teams who we could’ve got.

Time to see what the new formation is made of in Europe!​

Champions League Qualifiers

Our European exploits for 2021 began with a trip to Azerbaijan to face Qarabag.

Nothing less than the Europa League group stage will do this year, so a 3-0 win was a good way to start things off.

View attachment 21401

Somehow we lost the home leg, but we did enough in the away game to see ourselves through to the next round.

View attachment 21400

It’s also worth noting that poor old Cabinteely got knocked out of the Europa League at the first stage.

View attachment 21399

They’re currently 8th​ in the Airtricity First Division and got into the Europa League by winning the FAI Cup last season.

View attachment 21398

And in the Champions League Second Qualifying Round we were drawn against Macedonian champions KF Shkëndija.

View attachment 21397

It was an easier opponent for us than Qarabag and we proved that in the first leg.

View attachment 21396

And even our back up side beat them in the away leg.

View attachment 21395

So that puts us into the 3rd​ qualifying round of the Champions League. PSV knocked us out at this stage 2 years ago and the draw has not been kind to us this time round.

View attachment 21394

We will play FC Basel, who got to the group stage last season. This is the kind of opponent we need to beat at some stage or else we’re forever going to be missing out on the group stages of European competition.

Also the summer Irish transfer window has come to a close and we finally have a natural wide player at the club.

View attachment 21393

Alan Judge has joined after his Brentford contract expired meaning a player from the Airtricity Premier League is firmly part of the Ireland squad.

He came in after Rotherham put a £350,000 bid in for Will Keane. Considering he was backup and we signed him for free 6 months ago, I decided to accept.

View attachment 21392

Now for a huge 2 games against Basel!​

Going great mate - Judge looks like he will open up even more tactical options for you. Not that you would want to change from this 4-3-3 given how good it is going!!!

Going great mate - Judge looks like he will open up even more tactical options for you. Not that you would want to change from this 4-3-3 given how good it is going!!!

The fact he's a natural in centre mid and both wide areas means he could prove to be a very good signing for us... Just need him to stay away from the injuries!

Basel in the Champions League

So, for the second time in the save we were in the Champions League third qualifying round. The first leg against Basel was a very even 1-0 loss, which I think I would’ve just about taken before kick off.

View attachment 20718

It left us still in it for the second leg.

I’d like to show you the match stats of the second leg before I’ll show you the result.

View attachment 20717

And now the result.

View attachment 20716

Not to be dramatic or anything but that result made me feel sick. I cannot believe how we did not score.

Moving on.

That ridiculously one-sided 0-0 meant we lost on aggregate and were put into the Europa League 4th​ Qualifying Round. We were drawn against Romanian champions Steaua Bucharest.

View attachment 20715

Before that we will play amateur side Cherry Orchard in the FAI Cup. A bit of a contrast to the teams we’ll play before and after them.

View attachment 20714

So we have 2 games against Steaua Bucharest to get into the Europa League Group Stage. If we don’t win, I will cry.​

Absolutely gutting that result against Basel!!!

**** - I am frustrated by the Basel result and this isn't even my save!! Here's hoping you can do the business against Steaua.