Improving Ireland with Sligo Rovers

2024 Season Review

We play so many games in a season it’s ridiculous. This year we played 67 in total!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our first game next season will be against Shakhtar Donetsk in the Europa League Knockout Round.

attachment.php

I can’t wait for the day when we actually get a favourable draw…

It’s been a strange season for Sligo with not making the Champions League group stage and also with the amount of new signings at the club. Ignacio Lagos and Milorad Sveljo are 2 players that look like they’ll have some big clubs calling soon.

attachment.php
attachment.php

As I mentioned a while back, I’ve also added a manager of Dundalk and Cobh Ramblers and it’s fair to say the experiment has worked!

attachment.php

Dundalk had their best season for a long while whereas Cobh managed to stay up. It will be interesting to see how both fare next season and whether Cobh will be strong enough to challenge for a European place.

Irish Football Summary – 2024

National Team Ranking: 61st (was 62nd​ in 2023)
Nation Coefficient Ranking: 19th (was 26th​ in 2023)
Airtricity Premier League Players in Ireland Squad: 4

Irish Teams in Europe:

Dundalk and Cork: Europa League Group Stage
Shamrock Rovers: Europa 1st Round

-

With Ireland, we drew 3 games but won our Nations League group. I have no idea if that’s good or bad.

attachment.php

To be honest I am only concerned about the 2026 World Cup and we’ll have to beat Austria and/or Denmark to get there.

attachment.php

Man United have produced wonderkid Brian Miles who I need to give a debut to soon as he is also eligible for England.

attachment.php

Hopefully this time next year we’ll have qualified for a World Cup and got to a Europa League quarter-final at least! The next post will be the 2025 season preview including details of the games against Shakhtar.​

Haha - was going to ask if Brian Miles was the second coming of Roy Keane but his aggression rating is far, far too low. Looks like he will be a gun though. Bring him on as a late sub in your next match just to get him capped :)

Haha - was going to ask if Brian Miles was the second coming of Roy Keane but his aggression rating is far, far too low. Looks like he will be a gun though. Bring him on as a late sub in your next match just to get him capped :)

He's 17, not made a first team appearance for United, but is already the best Irish midfielder! A first cap is incoming...

2025 Season Preview

Only one first team player left in the winter transfer window and that was backup right back Rory Feely to Dundalk

attachment.php

As for the players in, we’ve broken our transfer record. Oliver Batista Meier was transfer listed by Bayern Munich for £4.9m and I decided to splash the cash.

attachment.php

We’ve also signed two young Serbian centre backs that could develop into top players. Between them they cost £2m which is why I always scout the Serbian teams.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Irish midfielder Sean Travers will also be part of the first team squad this season after being on loan at Cork for the past two years.

attachment.php

Despite those additions I decided to stick with the team that got us through the group stage in our knockout round match against Shakhtar Donetsk

A mixture of injuries and suspensions have plagued us at the 1st​ knockout round in the past few seasons, particularly to attacking midfielder Ryan Cassidy who never seems to complete a pre season.

attachment.php

So it was typical that he got a two-week virus the day before the first leg.

attachment.php

Despite that, we won our first ever away game in European knockout competition thanks to a thoroughly professional performance.

attachment.php

On loan Liverpool attacker Simon Pattison scored the winner. He’s in his 3rd​ season with the club and if we can somehow get him from Liverpool permanently then that would be incredible.

attachment.php

He was also the hero in the second leg.

attachment.php

The 3-0 aggregate win means we’ve reached the second knockout round for the first time in 3 years and we’ve actually got a favourable draw against Standard Leige.

attachment.php

Elsewhere St Mirren are still in the competition along with some big hitters

attachment.php

Seven and a half years into the save I’m actually confident about getting through to the quarter finals of the Europa League!​

Europa League Second Knockout Round

Standard Liege, third in their league, were our opponents in the Europa League second knockout round as we travelled to Belgium for the first leg.

attachment.php

It was a thoroughly deserved win. New signing Batista Meier got the winner after a brace from midfielder Milorad Sveljo, who is really developing into something special at Sligo.

attachment.php

Another professional performance from our young squad ensured that we made the quarter finals of the Europa League for the first time in Sligo’s history.

attachment.php

In the quarter final draw we were paired with Valencia.

attachment.php

They’re currently sixth in La Liga and we played them in the Champions League group stage two years ago where we won one and drew one.

Sevilla, who we beat twice in the group stage this season, are fourth so this is a real opportunity to get into the semi-finals!

attachment.php

It’s early days in the league and we’ve played half the amount of matches of some teams because of the Europa League but things are looking good for both Dundalk and Cobh.

attachment.php

Finally, we’ve played the first game of Ireland’s World Cup 2026 qualification campaign against top seeds Denmark and there was no better way to start off our campaign.

attachment.php

17 year old Brian Miles made his debut in that game and scored with his very first touch in international football!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think we have a future Irish legend on our hands.

Europa League Quarter Final

So Valencia were our opponents in the Europa League quarter final and once again we were playing the first leg away from home. I would have taken a draw going into the match.

attachment.php

But we just keep on producing big performances in Europe! The 2-0 win at the Mestalla virtually put us into the semi final!

However, it was a closer game in the second leg…

attachment.php

…but we still managed to win! Sligo Rovers are into the Europa League semi-final!

Simon Pattison scored after 16 seconds in the second leg. He’s gone from a player who I was unsure about whether to extend his loan period to probably the most important player in the team.

attachment.php

Another player that deserves credit is Kadiri Mohammed. He was initially signed as backup on a free but is giving me no choice but to give him a new contract as he is first choice now.

attachment.php

Chelsea, Tottenham and Dynamo Kiev were the 3 teams with us in the semi-final draw. The English teams were obviously the ones we were aiming to avoid…

attachment.php

We are in with a very serious chance of getting into the Europa League final!

In the league we’ve been playing a rotated side because of our European run but that isn’t impacting results.

attachment.php

We also have a real gem on our hands with Jakub Vana.

attachment.php

He was signed for £2m from Sparta Prague in January and is the youngest goalscorer in Sligo history.

attachment.php

He is surely going to develop into a quality player!​

Europa League Semi Final

In the Champions League semi-final I couldn’t help but notice that Man City beat Man United 8-0 in the first leg!

attachment.php

And it was beginning to look like the same would be happening in the Europa League when Ukrainian champions Dynamo Kiev went 2-0 up against us after 25 minutes.

attachment.php

However we managed to claw back a result with goals from Meier and Mohammed.

attachment.php

2-2 in the away leg in the Europa League semi-final. I’ll take that.

It seems a bit sudden but we were just one clean sheet away from the Europa League Final heading into the home leg against Dynamo Kiev. So of course we didn’t keep a clean sheet.

But that’s okay, because we’ve got Simon Pattison.

attachment.php

Sligo Rovers are in the Europa League final!

Our opponents in the biggest match in the save so far will be Tottenham Hotspur.

attachment.php

It’s a bit of a mismatch but we’ll get into that in the next post. For now we need to savour that we’re actually in the Europa League final!​

excellent mate, hopefully the underdog can prevail in the final

Good luck for the final mate!! Amazing achievement!!

Amazing stuff to reach the final! Best of luck and also that will automatic Champions League qualification next season! Well done!

excellent mate, hopefully the underdog can prevail in the final

Good luck for the final mate!! Amazing achievement!!

Amazing stuff to reach the final! Best of luck and also that will automatic Champions League qualification next season! Well done!

Best of luck in the final mate!!

Cheers everyone. And yes I forgot that winning the Europa League means we get to the Champions League group stage next season as well!

2025 Europa League Final Preview

I planned on doing a full rundown of our team including screenshots of all the players but FMBase is being weird with images lately.

However it has to be mentioned that Conor Masterson will be leading Sligo out in the Europa League final. He’s been at the club for as long as I have and when he came on loan to us in 2018 I would have never of thought he would be captaining Sligo in the Europa League final 7 years later!

attachment.php

Adam Lewis is in his seventh season at the club whereas Alpha Dionkou is in his sixth and both players are starting in the game too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our hopes of getting anything from the game will be pinned on Serbian midfielder Milorad Sveljo and on loan Liverpool striker Simon Pattison.

attachment.php
attachment.php

This is the team we lined up with, which contains 5 regens.

attachment.php

Our opponents had just finished sixth in the Premier League.

attachment.php

But that was about the only positive I could take. They were overwhelming favourites with a far superior team.

Harry Kane is on £200,000 a week when our highest paid player is on £13,000. He also has just the 77 goals for England, no big deal.

attachment.php

And Pep Guardiola is the Spurs manager, no big deal.

attachment.php

And Spurs are evens favourites for the match.

attachment.php

I can’t say I’m expecting much, but anything can happen!

2025 Europa League Final

Normally when I play a final in FM something unexpected happens and/or something goes wrong. But in this case, nothing happened.

And by nothing, I mean there was no highlights in the first half, which is exactly what I wanted.

Spurs were slightly the better side but neither team were having any clear-cut chances. That was until 3 minutes into the second half.

attachment.php

Spurs opened the scoring so the onus was on us to get an equaliser. We tried and we tried to get it but it wasn’t to be.

attachment.php

It was actually quite a strange final. There were hardly any highlights and we hardly had any chances even when I went to all out attack in the last 15 minutes.

attachment.php

I suppose that has something to do with having De Ligt and Davinson Sanchez as a centre back pairing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Despite the result and the underwhelming final, we can be proud of what we’ve achieved. I didn’t think we’d get this far in the competition and it’ll be interesting to see if we can make the step up into the Champions League knockout rounds now!​

Big News For Ireland

Thanks to our Europa League run we’ve moved from 19th​ to 10th​ in the coefficients table in what is a massive step for Irish football.

attachment.php

It means there will be 5 Irish teams competing in Europe going forward and the team that finishes first in the league will go straight into the Champions League group stage.

attachment.php

It also means that all of a sudden the team that finishes third in the league this season will be in the Europa League group stage. It looks like that team will be either Limerick or Cobh as Cork and Shamrock Rovers have had poor seasons.

attachment.php

We’ve surrendered our 100% league record but I don’t think it was ever going to happen whilst we were trying to juggle Europe and the domestic cup games.

This year we entered the Champions League at the second qualifying round stage (rather than the first) and we were paired with Slovakian champions Slovan Bratislava.

attachment.php

It’s weird to be playing European football again just 2 months after the Europa League final. I’ve enjoyed all the qualifying round matches we’ve played over the years but now they’re getting a bit too easy

attachment.php
attachment.php

I don’t want to jinx it (like I did last season) but we should be making the Champions League group stage with ease.

We’ve also been involved in some transfer dealings. After praising him recently I’ve let Kadiri Mohammed go to Saudi Arabia for £1.5m.

attachment.php

The reason for that is because Paul Douglas is back at the club on loan from Arsenal.

attachment.php

His growth has been stunted because of lack of game time so we need him to play some games for the sake of the national team.

attachment.php

We’ve not stopped there with the Irish loanees though. The future of Irish football, Brian Miles, has also joined us on loan for 18 months

attachment.php

Like Douglas, the amount of game time he’ll get at Sligo can only be beneficial for the national team so it’s a win/win situation.

Now let’s get to the Champions League group stage!​

Back To Where We Belong

As predicted, we comfortably beat Genk over two legs in the third qualifying round of the Champions League.

attachment.php
attachment.php

5 years ago they stopped us getting into the Europa League group stage so it’s slight revenge for that!

Oliver Batista Meier is proving to be a very good signing and is popping up with a lot of goals as an inside forward on the right.

attachment.php

Next up for us was AEK Larnaka in the Champions League playoff round. Victory over two legs would take us into the group stage after missing out last season.

attachment.php
attachment.php

We achieved it with ease and I forgot just how much money you get for getting to the Champions League group stage!

attachment.php

£10m of that £13m will pay for better training and youth facilities but we still have a healthy balance.

attachment.php

German champions Bayern Munich and AC Milan, who finished second in Serie A last season, will be our opponents in the group stage.

attachment.php

Both Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers got knocked out at the final qualifying round in the Europa League so we are the sole Irish team left in European competition.

And just when I thought all our summer transfers were done, PSG came in for our young winger Vladimir Mitrovic.

attachment.php

We signed him for £500,000 14 months ago so when PSG offered £9.75m for him I decided to accept. We already have quality cover in his position and I can’t imagine he’ll be good enough to get into the PSG team yet.

attachment.php

Whereas club management is going well, the same cannot be said for international management.

attachment.php

I’m really not enjoying it and to be honest if we don’t qualify it’ll be a relief to give up the job. We got a good result against Denmark but threw all that away by losing to Georgia in the next game.

attachment.php

We basically have to win our last 3 games, one of which is away against Austria, to stand any chance of qualifying for the World Cup.​

Crazy October Schedule

Our 2025 Champions League group stage started off with a comfortable win over Sparta Prague followed by a disappointing defeat to A.C. Milan

attachment.php
attachment.php

But before our next group stage game we had the small matter of playing 14 games in October... despite there also being an international break with no chance of rescheduling the fixtures.

attachment.php

We’re literally playing every 2 days! I honestly enjoy balancing the amount of games in quick succession on FM but when it gets as unrealistic as it is now then it’s less enjoyable.

attachment.php

Strangely enough one of the games where we had 20 players on international duty confirmed our sixth league win in a row.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And we also managed to get a special result against Bayern.

attachment.php

We’ve got to the Europa League final but this is probably our most impressive result of the save. Batista Meier continued his impressive form by scoring against his old club.

The result leaves the group delicately poised after 3 games each.

attachment.php

At the very worst we’ll be in the last 32 of the Europa League but it will be nice to make the Champions League knockout rounds for the very first time!​

Thats a ridiculous number of games to have in a month but doing well in a champions league which is good

Ten Points Not Enough

Our Champions League campaign continued with another remarkable result against Bayern Munich.

attachment.php

Just imagine if we pick up 4 points against them and still don’t qualify for the next round…

A routine win over Sparta Prague meant that a draw in our last group stage game against AC Milan would take us into the Champions League knockout rounds because of our better head to head record against Bayern.

attachment.php

attachment.php

However, all of our good work was undone in one game against Milan.

attachment.php

It was a cruel defeat for us. There’s no way we deserved to lose 4-0 but it highlights a problem for us that we are just not a Champions League last 16 side yet.

Having said that, it’s still a bit of a sickener that we got 10 points, beat Bayern 3-0 and still couldn’t make the knockout stage.

attachment.php

Our 2026 World Cup Qualifying campaign has also concluded with Ireland finishing in third place.

attachment.php

18 points were needed to qualify as the best second placed team so it turns out losing to Georgia wasn’t that catastrophic.

I think I’ve decided to stay on as Ireland manager purely because it’s pretty evident that Ireland just don’t have good enough players to qualify for the World Cup.

However, there’s some decent young players coming through and I did state in my very first post of this story that one of the aims was to lead Ireland into a World Cup. So 2030 here we come!​

2025 Season Review

We used a stupid amount of players this season, which had a lot to do with domestic and international fixtures overlapping as well as playing 14 of our 68 games in October.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We also equalled our highest points total in the league with 103.

attachment.php

I still want to have control of Cobh but Dundalk are now clearly the second best team in Ireland (because of the transfers and tactics I’ve implemented) so I think it may be best if I try and build up another team.

In other news, the board have announced a stadium expansion without any prompt from me.

attachment.php

1,300 seats for £1.5m really doesn’t seem worth it..

Our first game next season will be in the Europa League knockout round against RB Salzburg, a team we played in our 2022 Champions League group that was ruined by the Qatar World Cup.

attachment.php

Whereas we finished third with 10 points in our Champions League group, they finished third with 2 points. Typical.

attachment.php

It also looks like we’re going to have a tough time trying to keep Serbian duo Milorad Sveljo and Filip Cvjeticanin.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both are wanted by big clubs and will not sign new contracts because of the interest.

Irish Football Summary – 2025

National Team Ranking: 60th​ (was 61st in 2024)
Nation Coefficient Ranking: 10th (was 19th​ in 2024)
Airtricity Premier League Players in Ireland Squad: 9

Irish Teams in Europe:

Dundalk and Shamrock: Europa League 4th​ Qualifying Round
Cork: Europa League 2nd​ Qualifying Round