beliorlovi

Reaction score

This is my first time attempting to write ANY sort of a guide for FM, so bare with me...and in advance, thanks for the feedback.

First off, let me sort of introduce myself. I'm a fairly new(ish) Football Manager addict, been playing it since FM 2009 (actively since last year's version). My favorite teams are FK Crvena Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade), S.S. Lazio, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Internazionale, NK Hajduk Split, and FC Bayern Munich.

In my quest to become one of the best managers around, I've tried nearly everything to try to get my team play very well together, and I managed to accomplish exactly that by winning the Premiership with Manchester City, although having tons of money to finance your (virtually) every move helps immensely.

Recently I started a new game in charge of Lazio, and I realized that tactic templates usually do not work for just about any team. Each one has to be catered to your specific team needs, bringing the best out of your players by not only putting them in their optimal roles and positions, but by making sure that they avoid using their weaker attributes, thus enabling them to make a valued contribution to the way your team plays. Also, I have picked up a couple of very important things over my 3 year career with Man City, and now with Lazio:

1. DO NOT be afraid to play a player outside of his position!

Example: Makoto Hasebe (CML/R)
    View attachment 142210
    One thing I am trying to do with this tactic is take advantage of my Wingers in BOTH attack and defense. Hasebe's natural position is in center of the pitch (CML/R), thus meaning that he will have to be retrained as an AMR (in this case) in order for him to be effective in that "Defensive Winger" role. I don't pay close attention to marking and tackling for these two players, as my fullbacks will actually be set to defend (left, due to the absence of the left winger in one of my main tactics), and support (right side, in oreder to supplement the passing game by helping to make the transition smoother between defense and midfield. This wat it feels like there's a real sense of unity and cohesion on the wide positions. Also, by setting the two wide AM's as "Defensive Wingers", you are ensuring that they will attempt to close down the opposition fullbacks/wingbacks, thus making them more prone to making a costly mistake, which could lead to a goal.
  2. It is absolutely of vital importnace that the strategies you chose are built around the players at your disposal. My main point her is that you need to think of the way you would like your team to play, while keeping in mind what kind of talent you have to work with. Take a CAREFUL look at your youth and reserve squads, bringing up those who deserve it, and sending down those who have not performed well.
  3. Never be afraid of "lashing out" at one of your players for nearly any reason. If you are unhappy with the way the player is playing, make sure you discipline him for poor performance after the game, and if this option is not available, go into Private Chat, select Transfer Status, and then, Warn Player Transfer List. This is a double-edged sword...sometimes it works for you, by helping the players see the error of their ways, and other times, it can backfire, leaving you with an unhappy player who will need to be sold (or dealt with accordingly)...just make sure he's not one of your star players! (Balotelli is still furious with me in my Man City game...has been for the past 2 years, and I cannot get him to change his mind, I don't even get the option to talk to him!)
  4. The only way to be effective from set pieces is to have the right players set as your spot kick takers. There are several things that need to be taken into consideration here. In my experience, players with a high Free Kick (DUH!), Concentration, Decisions, and Determination are the best bet for a SOLID spot kick taker. This one becomes especially handy with Direct Free Kicks. Make sure you have your best taker set to his opposite side (this ensures he will strike the ball with his stronger foot, thus making the kick more deadly for the oposition. In my example, I set Zarate on Direct Kicks coming from the LEFT side, since he is right footed. This is the same thing as "Inswing Corners" for the infamous Corner Exploit.
  5. Do not be afraid to use Opoosition Instructions, but make sure that you ONLY MARK KEY PLAYERS. This doesn't mean that all their key players (Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Milner, Silva in the case of playing against Man City) should be set to the same setting. You need to be the judge of this...pick what you think will work best against that specific player. In my case (Lazio), for the match against Inter, I had most of my players assigned to thir key figures. I had Firmani and Hrnanes double team Wesley Sneijder (couldn't have worked out any better, as he had a horrible game), Garrido did an excellent job at marking Samuel Eto'o, while lichtsteiner effectively closed down Goran Pandev. This cut off the supply to thier lone striker (Diego Milito), thus giving them little (if any room) to work the ball effectively, especially in the middle of the park. Also, this is where match day info can make or break your team in any given match. Make sure you keep an eye on the way your and their players are performing on the field (motivations). This makes it easy for the manager to decide which players to close down, who needs to be marked, whether or not you need to be aggressive against someone, etc. If one of their centrebacks is having a poor game, do not hesitate to assign your strongest striker to mark that player.
    Example: If he is "Playing nervously" or "Having a bad/poor/very bad game", make your striker mark that player tightly. There really is no need to add any additional instructions for him, since he will have enough to deal with by trying to effectively beat your best striker before he has a chance to steal the ball off him and put it where it belongs (in the back of their net!).
  6. Don't forget that you are not always "stuck" with what you have. Take full advantage of free transfers, as this can be a relatively cheap way to provide some backup options in case you run into injury problems further down the stretch. My particular strategy has always included grabing ex-superstars such as Edgar Davids, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos (not on Free Transfer...), Kader Toure, Julio Cruz...etc.
Now for my strategy...

View attachment 142216

Fernando Muslera - GK/Defend
Javier Garrido - RB/Defend
Stefan Radu - CB/Cover
Cristian Zapata - CB/Stopper
Stefan Lichtsteiner - LB/Support or Attack
Hernanes - DMC/Anchor Man
Cristian Ledesma - CML/Ball Winning Midfielder/Defend
Pasquale Foggia - CMR/Advanced Playmaker/Attack
Makoto Hasebe - RM/Defensive Winger/Defend
Mauro Zarate - AML/Winger/Attack
Sergio Floccari/Tomasso Rocchi - STC/Target Man/Attack

By utilising a Stopper/Cover system in my Central Defence, I am eseentially ensuring that the ball will not get past my players, and even if it does get past Zapata, that Radu will always be there to back him up should he need it. Also, you want to make sure that every one of your players except for your most creative player (or in my case...talented winger/striker) has their creativity set to low. For Runs From Deep slider, I bas all my decisions on Positioning, Off The Ball, and Decisions.

Last edited: