Increase reputation to be able to lure "bigger names"

Barreth

Reaction score
I'm currently managing Southampton and doing fairly good in the fourth season. Won Capital Cup first year and middle of the league. And after that I've finished 4th two years straight. My team is pretty decent, built mostly on talants, regens and a few "okay" names.

The "problem" is that I need one or two names to get the last edge since my team is young and raw. Currently beginning of January and I have over 70 mill in my budget letting me afford almost any player in the game, I'm 2nd in the league with ManC 1st with a big lead. I can afford most wage demands too. But not a single "star" in my save have any intention of joining.

Is there any way around this or is the only thing to win things first and buy later if still needed?

Only way to do that is signing top class coaches, bigger stadium and winning things and get into europe.

To take you to that next level can i suggest you use the ariggo sachi tactic?.

Thanks for your suggestion, but my own tactic works very good atm. I'll just have to hope for some magic in the Champions league then. Have ended in quater finals two years in a row in Champions league. And will most probably end top4 in pl for the third year in the row no. Chance of winning is pretty low due to ManC having 12p lead and have just lost 1 match so far (against me).

Kind of frustrating not being able to splash some cach on one player to edge my attack a littele bit further. Will try to sign new coaches and expand my stadium again (finished an expansion last year)

When you say they don't want to join you, have you actually scouted them? Or just think they don't want to join as that is what it says on the Player Search screen ("Unrealistic Transfers")? There can sometimes be a difference - sometimes scouting a so-called Unrealistic Transfer reveals they would actually join your club.

Also, when signing new staff, see if there are any with a World Class reputation available (not just coaches - physios, scouts etc). High rep staff can help improve your club rep a bit as well.

Finally, I know you say about expanding the stadium, but don't forget to upgrade your Training and Youth facilities as well. That can also help make a difference.

Thx for the suggestions, i've scouted the good players several times with 18+ scoutes with 100% knowledge in that leagues country. But they are judged as "non interested" by the scoutes. What I figured before is that some players actually accepts going in to negotiation even though "they are not interested". Usually you have to give them a very good offer for them to accept a deal then.

My staduim are newly upgraded as are my training ground and academy. So I guess my only way is to progress further up the table and in CL to be able to get better players.

ps. I actually managed to swoop Neymar as he wasn't bought in my save from santos yet. Costed me a lot and a pretty high wage. He was one of those that didn't wanted to join but were prepared to negotiate contract anyway. A good start offer and we where able to agree a deal.
I tried to enter contract negotiation with about 10 players which "didn't have any intention of joining", every one except Neymar weren't prepared even negotiate. Happy to swoop him, he's a player of alot higher quality than I even hoped to sign. The other targeted players where stars unsettled at other clubs. Such as Silva, Veratti and Mata.

The only jumps in reputation which helped me to sign better quality players (Building up to the top world stars) were firstly: getting into Europe with a domestic cup win (Managing in England with these examples), that opened up a lot of players who maybe just wanted European Football and were solid but could be amazing with good form; up and coming young potential stars who want the bigger stage but regular first team football, and aged continental/(sometimes)world class players who are too old for the huge clubs but still want top flight and european football.

Then getting into the Champions League opened up a lot of more mercenary players who are definately talented and wanted the best domestic football, but also huge money. Better potential youth stars etc.

Then finally the last (and both riskiest and hardest to get) boost to reputation and help signing players was immediately after winning a major competition; i.e. the Premier League or Champions League. The afternoon/day after winning the Champions League, the amount of big name players who were suddenly willing to sign for my club increased a fair amount, and if deals are pushed through quickly enough you can get them but obviously for the massive fees it will cost to prize them away. These players disapeared quickly from the list of being interested, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before they are no longer willing to sign and happy at their own behemoth clubs.

Those are the only quick noticable jumps in reputation I found when trying to get players, everything else was as described the long haul of improved positions and results, building up your compliment of staff and improving facilities, until finally everything is world class and you're winning everything.

I think my reputation got a boost when i signed a better known player in my 3rd year as wigan