Individual training a hopeless attribute - is it worth it?

Yurt

Reaction score
Say, for example, I have a fullback in my Premier League side who is good going forward (which is what my tactic requires) with decent attributes in all the required areas for an attacking fullback, but has a Crossing of only 5, is it worth focussing his individual training on improving that attribute? Or is that attribute just too far low to be worth the extra time that could be spent honing is already solid attributes/overall game?
If the attribute in question is just a bit lower than his other important ones, e.g. his Off The Ball is 10, I will usually look to pull that attribute a point or two higher so it is line with the rest. But if it's really low, as above, might you just as well forget about improving it and instruct the player to avoid using whatever it is that the bad attribute entails?
Also, does the age of a player make a difference? So if the player is 25ish does it make more sense to abandon the poor attribute and work on his overall game? Whereas if the player is under 18 and you spot an attribute that is important but way below the rest, is it more likely to be worthwhile putting the extra focus in to the attribute because he's still young and could develop it more rapidly without impeding the growth of his other attributes?

Basically I have a fullback who has terrible crossing compared to his other stats and want to know if I should bother trying to bring that up to scratch, but this is an important question in general I reckon.

There are 6 question marks above and I'd be delighted if anyone could answer them like 1),2),3),4),5),6). Shouldn't take too long for the more experienced FMers and I'd be very grateful!

I find that, even if one attribute is low, with other attributes and PPMs going for the player, it can still work out well. Just alternate his training. Just focussing on crossing will definitely improve his attribute for a while, but will then start to stagnate. Switch it with overall training every few months, and then it'll improve. Also, constant game-time will definitely boost his stats, and is excellent for multiple-attribute development.

Age definitely is a factor. If a player is around 15-21, then his attributes can increase dramatically. Definitely try to improve his crossing, if that is the case. After that, not so much. There'll be improvements ofc, but gradual, not a sudden, dramatic upflux. There are exceptions, but this is mostly the case.

If he's getting constant game time, I'd focus on Crossing, alternating with CWB/FB/WB(whichever role you prefer), when you stop seeing improvement in attribute. Will result in an increase in both the specific attribute, as well as overall attributes.

I find that, even if one attribute is low, with other attributes and PPMs going for the player, it can still work out well. Just alternate his training. Just focussing on crossing will definitely improve his attribute for a while, but will then start to stagnate. Switch it with overall training every few months, and then it'll improve. Also, constant game-time will definitely boost his stats, and is excellent for multiple-attribute development.

Age definitely is a factor. If a player is around 15-21, then his attributes can increase dramatically. Definitely try to improve his crossing, if that is the case. After that, not so much. There'll be improvements ofc, but gradual, not a sudden, dramatic upflux. There are exceptions, but this is mostly the case.

If he's getting constant game time, I'd focus on Crossing, alternating with CWB/FB/WB(whichever role you prefer), when you stop seeing improvement in attribute. Will result in an increase in both the specific attribute, as well as overall attributes.

Thanks a lot, really appreciated. To be a bit more specific, I have Ashley Richards at Swansea - 22 years old. He is my 2nd choice right back but has high potential so I intend to use him as often as possible. His attributes are good for an attacking fullback, with the exception of Crossing (5) and Technique (10). At the moment I have him training Technique since I figured his Crossing is far too low to be trained to a decent standard, but would you recommend alternating between Crossing training and (my preferred) Wing Back training ever month or two? If he was three or four years older, say, would you be less inclined to recommend doing that? Thanks again!

Last edited:
I won't bother about his crossing. It's too low. Maybe you can teach him some PPM's so he won't cross too often, since with 5-10 he won't give alot assists.

Say, for example, I have a fullback in my Premier League side who is good going forward (which is what my tactic requires) with decent attributes in all the required areas for an attacking fullback, but has a Crossing of only 5, is it worth focussing his individual training on improving that attribute? Or is that attribute just too far low to be worth the extra time that could be spent honing is already solid attributes/overall game?
If the attribute in question is just a bit lower than his other important ones, e.g. his Off The Ball is 10, I will usually look to pull that attribute a point or two higher so it is line with the rest. But if it's really low, as above, might you just as well forget about improving it and instruct the player to avoid using whatever it is that the bad attribute entails?
Also, does the age of a player make a difference? So if the player is 25ish does it make more sense to abandon the poor attribute and work on his overall game? Whereas if the player is under 18 and you spot an attribute that is important but way below the rest, is it more likely to be worthwhile putting the extra focus in to the attribute because he's still young and could develop it more rapidly without impeding the growth of his other attributes?

Basically I have a fullback who has terrible crossing compared to his other stats and want to know if I should bother trying to bring that up to scratch, but this is an important question in general I reckon.

There are 6 question marks above and I'd be delighted if anyone could answer them like 1),2),3),4),5),6). Shouldn't take too long for the more experienced FMers and I'd be very grateful!

have a fullback in my Premier League side who is good going forward (which is what my tactic requires) with decent attributes in all the required areas for an attacking fullback, but has a Crossing of only 5, is it worth focussing his individual training on improving that attribute?
1 - No, it's too low. At the age of 22 it could go to 9 with luck.
Or is that attribute just too far low to be worth the extra time that could be spent honing is already solid attributes/overall game?
2 - Could be, after all, he is a defender...
3 - Yes, forget it and use what he has good.
Also, does the age of a player make a difference? So if the player is 25ish does it make more sense to abandon the poor attribute and work on his overall game?
4 - As stated above, after 22/23 the player attributes can raise but just 2 or 3 points max, so no point in forcing something that can raise to 8/9 max. If he had 18 years old, it could raise to 12...
Whereas if the player is under 18 and you spot an attribute that is important but way below the rest, is it more likely to be worthwhile putting the extra focus in to the attribute because he's still young and could develop it more rapidly without impeding the growth of his other attributes?
5 - Players have a CA and a PA. Training a specific thing like a new positioning can lower the player PA, not shore about the skill training. If it lowers it will be 1 or 2 points in 200 which is nothing. My advice is to train him on what you think can benefit is game as much as you can. After the 22/23 years old, go to general training so he can raise/keep stats.

Hope it helps

Great answer, thanks. Just got a point to make about the last answer though. Are you sure PA can be lowered, I always thought it was fixed? I am aware that retraining a player to a new position could lower his CA, as he now has more attributes relevant to his CA which he might not be great at yet. I don't think it lowers the PA, just means he can never become as developed in the key attributes as he could if he was only playing one position. Is that wrong? Also by skill training do you mean PPM or Individual Focus?

Great answer, thanks. Just got a point to make about the last answer though. Are you sure PA can be lowered, I always thought it was fixed? I am aware that retraining a player to a new position could lower his CA, as he now has more attributes relevant to his CA which he might not be great at yet. I don't think it lowers the PA, just means he can never become as developed in the key attributes as he could if he was only playing one position. Is that wrong? Also by skill training do you mean PPM or Individual Focus?

Ok, you're right. When i say lower PA i meant that he will never fulfill his potential.

Btw, can you SS him?