As far as the mental stats go, I think they got it well. It's experience that matters in reality, that's why in big matches you usually see the older, experienced players take care of the job. And that's how that is in the game..

And as for the individual focus, and training in general, I feel SI have done quite a good job. Especially the individual focus is something that makes me not understand how I've played previous FMs :D
Although in all honesty, I think they've got the regens a bit off. Maybe they did it in order us to actually be grateful for the individual part XD

As far as the regens go, I've heard a lot of complaints but I don't fully understand why. I mean they really are necessary to keep the game going after a few years (unless you want to keep playing with a 45 year old Rooney). The next Messi or Ronaldo can pop up anywhere (which I think is also pretty realistic) and they are very versatile in CA, PA, background and appearance (and some have hilarious names <))

As far as the regens go, I've heard a lot of complaints but I don't fully understand why. I mean they really are necessary to keep the game going after a few years (unless you want to keep playing with a 45 year old Rooney). The next Messi or Ronaldo can pop up anywhere (which I think is also pretty realistic) and they are very versatile in CA, PA, background and appearance (and some have hilarious names <))

I'm not really complaining. For one, I love playing after a few seasons when it's all full of regens. Adds a new dimension to the game, as I don't like staring a new save, knowing who to sign when for three seasons and then starting over with another team..
They've really made regens far better this year, as they announced, actually giving them stats suiting their position.
Now what I've noticed is they probably overdid the template thing. I see quite a lot of strikers with very high finishing and awful composure or vice versa. And I've noticed that any player with a wide position is very likely to have very very high acc and pace.
Overall they're good, but what I'm basically saying the regens should be more balanced when comparing one's technical mental and physical stats.

Still quite a good number are really 'normal' to me, and realising that it's an extremely hard task of finding the balance between randomness and template, I think they did a very good job