Inside Forwards and Attacking Midfielders

jameslufc

Reaction score
Hi,

There are a couple of positions which I don't seem to be able to get right on the game. One in particular is inside forwards, I don't seem to have any luck with them and no matter who I use in these positions they consistently get poor match ratings. Another is the AMC position, I have tried advanced playmaker and attacking midfielder roles but again players don't seem to perform well. This was even the case when I played an online draft using Cristiano Ronaldo as an inside forward and Mesut Ozil as AMC (advanced playmaker). Has anyone had success with these positions/roles and could give me any tips?

Thanks

Sometimes it's about the spacing of your tactics. Maybe you like to post your tactics and TIs that you are using.

I'm not too sure if I'm a fan of a F9 and AP combo. Both are creative roles and are likely to try to create 1st rather than looking to score. The F9 will drop into the space of the AP as well. I will consider using a DLF-att if you want to keep the AP or AM-att if you want to use F9. DLF could help occupy the defenders or hold the ball up and wait for the IF to attack from deep. For AM, your F9 will drop deep to create and the AM will attack the box as a late runner.

I've had a lot of success as Charlton in the prem 21/22 narrow 4231 with a shadow striker and poacher working together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF to support coz bad finish, f9 to more attacking coz clashing space with AMC

Hi,

There are a couple of positions which I don't seem to be able to get right on the game. One in particular is inside forwards, I don't seem to have any luck with them and no matter who I use in these positions they consistently get poor match ratings. Another is the AMC position, I have tried advanced playmaker and attacking midfielder roles but again players don't seem to perform well. This was even the case when I played an online draft using Cristiano Ronaldo as an inside forward and Mesut Ozil as AMC (advanced playmaker). Has anyone had success with these positions/roles and could give me any tips?

Thanks

-Inside forwards are generally goalscorers or creators depending on the team and their stats
-Always make sure the strong feet is the opposite one to the side, meaning left footed should be on the right side and vice versa.
-either they cut in and move into channels and look to score or pass from there
-you need dribble, pace and pass at the minimum on their stats
-on attack duty then they will shoot more and try to beat the first defender they see and shoot. you need good long shot and finishing if you want them on attack
-on support duty they will cut inside first before choosing to dribble or pass, they wont shoot unless they are more clear.
-so your IF is weak with his finish and long shot dont put him on attack duty
-good PPMs are cut inside, run with ball, place shots, curls balls

the success of your IF will depend on what kind of IF he is and how you setup your team
-IFs like mata (less pace and directness) need more possession based tactics and movement from forwards that can help them assist or get into positions to score
-IFs like mahrez (more direct) need others to support him to get the best out of him

Eventhough F9 can work in direct football it is generally not a good role in direct football and not the need of your tactic coz he is clashing for space with AMC. You basically have 4 creators but no scorer in the final third for those creators to pass, thats why rating are less.

In your tactic your IF cant score, put him on support duty, change your forward to something more attacking so he can stay front and receive passes from 3 options.
1-your winger running down the right wing and crossing
2-your inside forward cutting in from the left and sending thru balls
3-now your AMC will be able to assist making those passes and assist both your forward and your inside forward who cuts in, coz the inside forward if he passes to AMC will make the run in and the AMC can pass back to him to score.
-Also your winger basically has 3 options to assist from his crosses.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try and see if it improves things. When you say change the striker's role to something more attacking, would you try an advanced forward? I've heard that doesn't tend to work well for a lone striker

-Inside forwards are generally goalscorers or creators depending on the team and their stats
-Always make sure the strong feet is the opposite one to the side, meaning left footed should be on the right side and vice versa.
-either they cut in and move into channels and look to score or pass from there
-you need dribble, pace and pass at the minimum on their stats
-on attack duty then they will shoot more and try to beat the first defender they see and shoot. you need good long shot and finishing if you want them on attack
-on support duty they will cut inside first before choosing to dribble or pass, they wont shoot unless they are more clear.
-so your IF is weak with his finish and long shot dont put him on attack duty
-good PPMs are cut inside, run with ball, place shots, curls balls

the success of your IF will depend on what kind of IF he is and how you setup your team
-IFs like mata (less pace and directness) need more possession based tactics and movement from forwards that can help them assist or get into positions to score
-IFs like mahrez (more direct) need others to support him to get the best out of him

Eventhough F9 can work in direct football it is generally not a good role in direct football and not the need of your tactic coz he is clashing for space with AMC. You basically have 4 creators but no scorer in the final third for those creators to pass, thats why rating are less.

In your tactic your IF cant score, put him on support duty, change your forward to something more attacking so he can stay front and receive passes from 3 options.
1-your winger running down the right wing and crossing
2-your inside forward cutting in from the left and sending thru balls
3-now your AMC will be able to assist making those passes and assist both your forward and your inside forward who cuts in, coz the inside forward if he passes to AMC will make the run in and the AMC can pass back to him to score.
-Also your winger basically has 3 options to assist from his crosses.

how do you know all this? :O

any more info regarding other positions?

Winger, Inside Forward and False-9 are all creative roles, as has already been pointed out, and both the IF and the F-9 are likely to encroach into the same area of the pitch that your current Advanced Playmaker wants to operate in. This is overkill, in my opinion. I think a Shadow Striker would work better from the No.10 position, getting involved in build-up play in midfield before breaking the lines to become the furthest man forward and your most potent goal threat.

I'd also put the right winger on Support duty and have him whip crosses from deep to the far post, where your IF_Attack should be able to help himself. I'd also put your left back on Support duty and your right back on Attack, overlapping to deliver crosses from the byline for your Shadow Striker and False-9. The presence of two DMs and the fact that the winger would be on Support gives you sufficient cover down that side - plus your left back isn't going as far forward so if the centre back needs to shuffle over, there's still cover across the width of the pitch.

Hopefully your IF is good at dribbling so he can carry the ball forward when you counter attack. You want your Shadow Striker to be a good finisher and also good in the air. Train O'Kane to Switch Ball to Opposite Flank Often so you can quickly make use of space on the wings whenever it opens up, and have the Goalkeeper roll the ball out to your full backs (though you might also try launching it to your Shadow Striker, if he's good in the air, because there are three players around him who could capitalise on knock-ons).

Last edited:
play slightly narrower to encourage them to cut inside...play lower tempo to encourage them to keep the ball for longer while they run with it. But ideally, you should be positioned higher (push up) and use higher tempo. Even with play narrower, they will cut inside from deep in your current setup