Instruct wingers to stay high when not in possession

WouterVW

Reaction score
So I'm preparing for an away game vs Man City (with Everton) and I want to exploit the spaces behind their attacking full backs. What I'd like to do is to instruct (both or perhaps only one of) my flank players and my sole striker to stay high when not in possession, ready to break, while the rest of my team stays compact and attempts to deal with the opposition attack. However, I'm not sure how to achieve this with the instructions available. I've got the mentality set to Counter with a Fluid team shape.

I've also included a picture of my formation as an attachment, but the positions and roles of my flank players are AML (Inside Forward, attack) and MR (Winger, attack). I keep the right flank player at MR instead of AMR to improve the balance in my team, but I'm not sure exactly how large the effect of that decision is. Any suggestions on how to get the desired positional play from these flank players? (I assume my striker, an attacking AF, will stay high of his own accord)

You are doing the right thing if you want the CF and AML to stay high, you want them on attack roles, so they wont drop too far back, on the other hand your LB is less protected as your AML wont look to cover him, Also tell your AML to get further forward

You are doing the right thing if you want the CF and AML to stay high, you want them on attack roles, so they wont drop too far back, on the other hand your LB is less protected as your AML wont look to cover him, Also tell your AML to get further forward

Would the AML truly stay up there (behind the opposition full back) without extra instructions? (the Get Further Forward instruction is already active for his current role and duty) I gather you would opt to push the right flank player up to AMR as well? I'm aware of the defensive vulnerability of my left flank. To deal with this, I'm considering pulling my AMC back to an MC position and playing with three MC's, the left of which would be the current BWM - D. Maybe even pull that CM back in turn to provide some cover for the left back, who I might change to FB in this game. I'm not sure though, I don't want to be crawling into a shell too much. Nor do I want to affect tactical familiarity too strongly.