international retirement and villa's goalkeepers

Reaction score
hi forum.
i was unsure of when it would be beneficial to ask a player to retire from internationals. the only player who is currently willing is Shay Given but is this a good thing for me? i am unlikely to sell Given at any point so him gaining international recognition is redundant, however i would benefit from the lack of travel etc. what would you guys do in this situation?

ps. i am struggling with the gk situation at villa. i have Given who is on a long-term contract who will be the no1 for the next few years. i mutually terminated marshall's contract, sent parish out on loan so i have given, guzan and siegrist. siegrist is 19 and has the potential to be better than guzan who is in the last year of his contract. despite this, i can get 3.5m for guzan who is only valued at 2.2. is it too dangerous to only have 2 goalkeepers at your club or can i survive for 1 year before i begin to look for regens etc.

my thinking is: i shouldn't sell siegrist as i can use him/get more for him in the future. (and he's only on 5.5k until 2014). i should sell guzan ,who is 26 i think, as he will never be the no1. cheers. :)

hi forum.
i was unsure of when it would be beneficial to ask a player to retire from internationals. the only player who is currently willing is Shay Given but is this a good thing for me? i am unlikely to sell Given at any point so him gaining international recognition is redundant, however i would benefit from the lack of travel etc. what would you guys do in this situation?

ps. i am struggling with the gk situation at villa. i have Given who is on a long-term contract who will be the no1 for the next few years. i mutually terminated marshall's contract, sent parish out on loan so i have given, guzan and siegrist. siegrist is 19 and has the potential to be better than guzan who is in the last year of his contract. despite this, i can get 3.5m for guzan who is only valued at 2.2. is it too dangerous to only have 2 goalkeepers at your club or can i survive for 1 year before i begin to look for regens etc.

my thinking is: i shouldn't sell siegrist as i can use him/get more for him in the future. (and he's only on 5.5k until 2014). i should sell guzan ,who is 26 i think, as he will never be the no1. cheers. :)

i would suggest selling guzan and asking given to retire from internationals as that way you'll have your number 1 keeper all teh time and won' have to play the backup if he's away on international duty. also it would mean he'll only get injured in your games instead of risking him getting injured on international duty. then siegrist will provide plenty of cover, and you can always recall parish if you drop down to one keeper or sign a short term loan.

plus you've got to remember that this is wen you'll get teh most for guzan as if you renew his contract clubs are less likely to go for him due to the new deal and if you don't renew and wait they'll jsut want to snap him up on a free at the end of teh season.

thanks for your response mate. the only issue i have is that no club will accept the loan offer with "can be recalled" ticked. i also cannot sell him so i have to loan him out for 6 months. do you know how the compensation works as this is the last year of his contract? i think players under 24 require compensation to be paid but i dont know what the amount will be. he is valued at 350k if that is relevant. this will help me to decide whether to offer him a new contract and sell him in a few years (unless i can shift him in january if the loan club like him). thanks again.

Hi mate I've also started with villa :) givens my no1 I sent guzan on loan and bought in areola for very little he's got great potential

to use this clause "can be recalled"

you need to set $0 upfront while sending the player on loan. i.e. if you set some vaue for loan, you cannot recall it until the end of the loan contract

yh i did that but nobody accepts - understandable when you consider its the gk position. any other thoughts on whether having 1 established gk is too few?

i want to employ tony coton as assistant manager at the start of the game (he is also a 5* gk coach) but the incumbent ***. man. requires ~900k for a mutual termination (although coton would have significantly lower wages). has anyone had a similar dilemma / what would you suggest? cheers.

i normally just use the 2 gk. i normally have 1 young and 1 oldish/experienced. this means my wage budget is lower and i can have the younger one being tutored. also means your less likely to make a gk unhappy for not playing him.