Internazionale vs Bayern München Round of 16 Leg One (20:45, February 23rd)

Deovoultcha

Reaction score
UEFA-Champions-League-1-icon.png

Round of 16, First leg - 23/02/2011 - 20:45CET (20:45 local time) - Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - Milan
stadio-giuseppe-meazza.jpg

250_Inter.png
F.C. Internazionale Milano vs. Bayern München
4-bayern-m%C3%BCnchen-961.png

FC Internazionale Milano welcome FC Bayern München for the first leg of a round of 16 tie that provides a repeat of last season's UEFA Champions League final.

Previous meetings
Two goals from Diego Milito secured Inter's triumph against Bayern on 22 May last year. The lineups were:
Bayern: ****, Lahm, Van Buyten, Demichelis, Badstuber, Robben, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, Altıntop (Klose 63), Müller, Olić (Gomez 74).
Inter: Júlio César, Maicon, Lúcio, Samuel, Chivu (Stanković 68), Zanetti, Cambiasso, Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito (Materazzi 90), Pandev (Muntari 79).
Bayern enter the contest with a superior record in this season's competition, having topped Group E with five wins. Only Real Madrid CF managed more than their 15 points and only Arsenal FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC scored more than Bayern's 16 goals.
Inter finished behind Tottenham in Group A with three wins, one draw and two defeats. Although beaten twice away, they are undefeated in ten UEFA Champions League home games and have won the last seven, including a 4-0 success against Bundesliga side SV Werder Bremen on Matchday 2.
Inter's home record against German visitors is: W10 D1 L4.
Since the group stage ended, Inter have added the FIFA Club World Cup to their trophy collection – the final act of Benítez's reign.
For Leonardo this is only the second experience of UEFA Champions League football as a coach, after he led AC Milan to the round of 16 last season. Van Gaal, by contrast, is in his ninth campaign.
Bayern suffered two 3-2 defeats on Italian soil in 2010. They went down at ACF Fiorentina in the 2009/10 round of 16 but advanced on away goals thanks to a 2-1 first-leg success. On Matchday 5 this season, with qualification already secured, they surrendered a two-goal lead to lose at AS Roma. Their last victory in Italy was a 4-1 success at Juventus in December 2009.
Bayern's overall record away to Italian opposition is: W4 D2 L9.
Inter lost the 1996/97 UEFA Cup final to FC Schalke 04 on penalties at San Siro after the sides had each won 1-0 at home.

Match background

Referee:
Viktor Kassai of Hungary

Teams' Form

Internazionale:
Past Five Matches:
3-0 Away Win vs Bari
5-3 Home Win vs Roma
0-1 Away Loss vs Juventus
2-1 Away Win vs Fiorentina
1-0 Home Win vs Cagliari

Bayern
Past Five Matches
5-1 Home Win vs Kaiserslautern
3-1 Away Win vs Werder Bremen
2-3 Away Loss vs Cologne (Koln)
4-0 Home Win vs Hoffenheim
3-1 Away Win vs Mainz

Lineups
Internazionale

Julio Cesar
Christian Chivu
Andrea Ranocchia
Lucio
Maicon
Thiago Motta
Esteban Cambiasso
Wesley Sneijder
Javier Zanetti
Dejan Stankovic
Samuel Eto'o

Bayern

Thomas Kraft
Luiz Dias
Holger Badstuber
Anatoliy Tymoshchuk
Philip Lahm
Franck Ribery
Danijel Pranjic
Thomas Muller
Arjen Robben
Mario Gomez

Last edited:
Bayern are looking good with the return of Robben. I think they can nick it with Robben, Gomez, Muller in excellent form.

Bayern are looking good with the return of Robben. I think they can nick it with Robben, Gomez, Muller in excellent form.
Leonardo's looked promising playing at home when he first arrived, then his defense got leaky (or so it seems) and it's been a struggle to scrape past teams. Could be wrong judgment from me like Vanjagl says, but I like to think it's just Serie A's competitive nature.

I think Bayern will MURDER Inter... Inter is nothing like last season and Bayern want revenge :p

I think Bayern will MURDER Inter... Inter is nothing like last season and Bayern want revenge :p

Inter may not be as good as last season but nor are Bayern. Should be a good game, shame I will only catch the highlights as I will be watching Man Utd.

I'm watching some stream with a Brazilian commentary and the commentator is screaming the **** out of him, nothing interesting has happened yet. He is like a monster, he takes no breath, and screams for like 5 minutes straight. Omg

Last edited:
I think this will be more interesting a game then the Man Utd / Marseille tie

I think this will be more interesting a game then the Man Utd / Marseille tie
Watched them both, GolTV played Man U/OM live and Inter/FCB's replay and I struggled to stay awake with the Marseille game, but this game was pretty lively, the wounded beast that is Inter hasn't recuperated from Benitez, and Bayern deserved to win.

Watched them both, GolTV played Man U/OM live and Inter/FCB's replay and I struggled to stay awake with the Marseille game, but this game was pretty lively, the wounded beast that is Inter hasn't recuperated from Benitez, and Bayern deserved to win.

They have, since he left in Serie A they have been twice the team they were under Rafa, i believe they can challenge Ac Milan for the title. But Bayern were the better team tonight, especially in the 2nd half.

They have, since he left in Serie A they have been twice the team they were under Rafa, i believe they can challenge Ac Milan for the title. But Bayern were the better team tonight, especially in the 2nd half.
They haven't recuperated to the level that Mourinho set for them, yes, they've been amazing in the Serie A, but they haven't fallen back on winning philosophies in Europe.

They haven't recuperated to the level that Mourinho set for them, yes, they've been amazing in the Serie A, but they haven't fallen back on winning philosophies in Europe.

Chronic tactical problem, unfortunately. With Serie A undergoing a fetish for narrow, wingerless formations (the 4-3-1-2 in particular), games have ended up becoming 1 v 1 battles which Inter with their superior individuals have won. In Europe against sides like Munich with world class wingers, they are exposed to the runs of fullbacks by the opposition whilst Maicon and Chivu are tied up.

While Ribery did not have the best match, Robben looked dangerous for the whole of the second half. He seemed a bit quite in the first half though. It wasn't a surprise when it was Robben's long shot that caused the goal. Defenders know he is going to try to run across the face of them, yet they still can't stop him. It is like the ball is stuck to his foot.

Last edited:
What a sensational result for Bayern, just more proof that Leanardo's record against the top sides is poor.

Yeah I reckon that's the worst performance I've ever seen from Ribery in a Munich shirt. Robben was on fire, rarely misplacing a pass and obviously set up the goal (and put it on a plate for the strikers a few other times). Robben > Messi :D