Status
Not open for further replies.

KidBlink56

I'm back, baby.
Reaction score
CHAPTER 1: INVICTUS

PRETORIA: An announcement that is sure to send shockwaves through South African football has been made today. After an on again off again relationship with Bafana Bafana, former Brazil manager Carlos Alberto Parreira has announced his resignation from his post as manager of the South African National Football Team.

In a statement made to a small number of local media sources Parreira said his decision was, "Final and official."

The decision, coming just days before the African Cup of Nations, is sure to cripple the South Africans who were already considered underdogs in the competition.

However, S.A.F.A. released an official press release saying a replacement manager has already been lined up. Rumours are flying about who will replace Parreira, but the name that continues to come up is English manager, Ben Smith.

Updates to follow.

AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS: GROUP B: SOUTH AFRICA V TOGO

PREVIEW:

LUANDA: Ahead of this afternoon's Cup of Nations match England born manager Ben Smith has been unveild as the man who will take South Africa forward though the African Cup of Nations and The World Cup later this year.

While S.A.F.A. has made an official press release and answered some questions earlier today, Ben Smith has been unavailable for comment and will remain so unitil after the group stage.

Even though the new manager is shifting the attention off of his team Bafana Bafana is not expected to advance past the group stage after being drawn into a very tough group including Togo, Nigeria and competition favourites, Cameroon.

LINEUPS (SA/TOGO):

RESULTS:

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS: GROUP B: NIGERIA V SOUTH AFRICA

PREVIEW:

fifaheader.png

ANGOLA-New South African manager Ben Smith is making it abundantly clear that he will be sticking to his guns regarding his gag order. Even after a huge upset of Togo in the African Cup of Nations, the Englishman is insisting that mum's the word.​

The South Africans made a mess of Togo in Group B's first match, piling on the pressure and forcing an own goal. Spirits are high in the South African camp ahead of today's match against Nigeria. Even though the pundits are playing down South Africa's chances in the group.​

LINEUPS (NGR/SA):

RESULTS:

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS: GROUP B: CAMEROON V SOUTH AFRICA

PREVIEW: Both of these teams are in. What's the point of a preview?​

LINEUPS:

RESULTS:

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS: QUARTER FINAL: SOUTH AFRICA V IVORY COAST

PREVIEW:

LUANDA- South African manager has met with Journalists for the first time, ahead of the African Cup of Nations Quarter Final match between South Africa and The Ivory Coast.

Sky Sports brings you the transcript of the press conference:

SkySports: Mr. Smith, why all the secrecy? Why not talk to the press earlier in the tournament?

Ben Smith: I wouldn't call it secrecy, I would call it avoiding a distraction. I wanted to keep my head down and focus on the tournament and I wanted my players to do the same.

BBC: After 2 big wins over Nigeria and Togo what are your chances of beating The Ivory Coast?

Smith: Ivory Coast is a very good side, no doubt about that. But, so are we. We've got some talented players in our lineup so don't be too surprised if we can move into the semis today.

The South African Football Bugle: Steven Pienaar took a knock in the last game against Cameroon, will he feature in the squad today?

Smith: Yes, Steven is ready to go.
LINEUPS (SA/IC):

RESULT:

Last edited:
AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS: SEMI FINAL: SOUTH AFRICA V ANGOLA

PREVIEW:

S.A.F.G.-Mr. Smith, Angola are the host country and as such, will have a distinct crowd advantage in today's match. Do you agree? And what can you do to counteract this advantage?​

BEN SMITH-Absolutely, I agree. Angola will have a lot of support in the stands today. And while that can affect the game, I'm confident in my players' ability to block out the crowds and "leave it all on the pitch" as they say.​

BBC- South Africa have only won this competition once before and no one on your 23 man squad has ever played in an international with this much riding on it. Will a lack of experience hurt your chances?​

BEN SMITH- I think the only way inexperience will hurt us, is if Ghana gets past Cameroon in the other Semi-Final. Because, we've seen Cameroon and we know what to expect from them. As far as Angola goes, they have even less experience in the competition. I think it will come down to who has the better side.​

S.A.F.B. - Do you have a prediction for us Mr. Smith?​

BEN SMITH- The team that puts the ball in the back of the net the most times, that team will win.​

LINEUPS (SA/ANG):

RESULTS:

Good win, good luck in the final.

great story. ive not read any international storys

AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS: FINAL: SOUTH AFRICA V CAMEROON

PREVIEW:

FourFourTwoHeader.png

"Cameroon would be foolish to count us out"

FourFourTwo.com has secured an exclusive interview with South Africa manager Ben Smith ahead of his sides African Cup of Nations final against Cameroon.​

FFT.com - Mr. Smith, you faced Cameroon in your group stage and didn't have the best of times against them. What will change in the Final?​

Smith - Well, the tactics firstly. We played a 4-2-2-2 in the last game of the group and it didn't serve us well. When we're playing 4-4-2 we're the most consistent. So, I think it's only logical that we stick to what's worked for us.​

FFT.com - Before Egypt's recent dominance, Cameroon were the team to beat in the ACN, any chance they return to that perch?​

Smith - Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cameroon has an excellent squad. There is a reason they're the favourites. But, by the same token, I think it would be very foolish of them to count us out.​

FFT.com - Good luck today Mr. Smith, how about a prediction?​

Smith - 5-0, South Africa.​

LINEUPS: (SA/CAM)

RESULTS:

REACTION:
African-cup-of-nations-trophy-2010.jpg

(Nelson Mandela chats with and congratulates Bafana Bafana after their historic African Cup of Nations victory over Cameroon)​

BAFANA BAFANA CLAIM HISTORIC VICTORY OVER CAMEROON.

ANGOLA - The full time whistle has just gone at the 11 de Novembro National Stadium in Luanda. And it is South Africa who have come out victorious via a Benni McCarthy penalty in stoppage time.​

South African fans have been chanting "Invictus" which translates from Latin as "unconquerable."​

Ben Smith, South Africa's manager was unavailable for comment and was seen celebrating with his players.​

I saw this and thought this was Folkestone Invictca,

Phew LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.