Clince121188

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION

Even as a Man United fan, I've always been obsessed with Arsenals "Invincibles" team and the brand of fast paced, attacking, technical football that they played. Each of the players had their own clear and dynamic role within the team, yet it all came together so fluidly. Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Cole... These were players that excited even the most begrudging of rival supporters. Arsene Wenger had the team playing a brand of 4-4-2 which the premier league had never seen before. It was fluid in so much as the wingers' involvement was not confined only to wide areas but to more central areas too. The front two of Henry and Bergkamp had a dynamic the likes of which has probably not been seen from a partnership since. Bergkamp was a real creative hub, linking midfield and attack while Henrys awareness of space, particularly his occupancy of the left flank at times was beautiful to behold. The left flank is where the Invincibles did so much damage to teams. You could be forgiven for failing to remember just how adept Ashley Cole could be in an attacking capacity. His darting runs forward were crucial to Arsenals exploits on the wing. The fluidity of Pires and Henry was such that it was almost impossible to predict which of them would take a position on the wing, and who would make a more central run. At times they would double up, completely overloading the opposition on that side. Vieira was as a huge presence both mentally and physically, one of the great leaders of all time on any football pitch. Vieira was not merely a ball-winning midfielder, he could really play too. His partner in the centre of midfield - Gilberto - afforded Vieira licence to roam forward with and without the ball. Gilberto's importance to the Invincibles side was parallel to that of Makelele in Chelseas midfield. Gilberto possessed a real defensive awareness for positioning which meant the players in front of him could feel at ease with him holding the ship. Llungbergs sweeping runs off the ball from the right wing, Campbells and Tourés towering presence, Laurens grit and determination, Lehmans complete goalkeeping repertoire.... I could wax lyrically, endlessly about this team but instead I'll get to my tactic :p

TACTIC

This tactic is essentially my take on the classic Invincibles set-up. It's not a game-breaker tactic, that's not what I set out to do with this tactic(although the results have been quite favourable). This tactic is for those who relish the style of the Invincibles and I feel as though I've gotten it extremely close to that brand of football.

Formation and Player Roles:

View attachment 182949
's'

Qualities for each role:

(Any attribute values are for top teams in top divisions. Obviously if you can't bring in players with these values, get them as close as you can)

GK: Lehman was a real all rounder, so someone with decent distribution(both kicking and throwing) is a must. Basically you'll want a very strong keeper with the ability to start off a few attacking moves of his own.

DR: Lauren's game was an extremely physical one, values of 15 and above for pace, stamina and work-rate are highly desirable for the right full back position. Aggression should ideally be above 10 and bravery should be at least 12. dribbling, tackling, positioning and off the ball should all be 11 or above.
PPMs: Gets forward

DCR: Touré provided the cover to Campbells intimidating defensive displays but he was also a physical presence himself. He liked to move forward with and without the ball at times so in my tactic the right centre back slot is a ball playing centre back. Ideally you want this player to have pace (14 and above), all-round good defensive abilities and values of 12 and over for technique, first touch and passing.
PPMs: Runs with ball/plays way out of trouble

DCL: Campbell was an extremely dominating centre back for the Invincibles. This player should again have decent pace(13 and above), VERY high defensive attributes(at least 15 for anticipation, positioning, marking, tackling and heading), bravery of at least 13 and strength 15+. Decisions and concentration should not be below 12.

DL: Cole was a fantastic full back in every way, defensively as solid as anyone and extremely competent in the oppositions half also. Pace, stamina, work-rate(15+), positioning and tackling(14+), dribblng, off the ball, anticipation, decisions, crossing(12+)
PPMs: Gets forward, runs with ball down left

MR: Llungberg was a player who's game revolved around his pace and positional awareness, often arriving perfectly on time for drag backs into the box from either flank. He didn't position real dribbling ability and instead depended heavily on his movement and work-rate off the ball. Pace + acceleration(15), finishin(14), work-rate(14), off the ball(14), stamina(14), anticipation(12)
PPMs: Plays one-twos

MCR: Gilberto was a rock in midfield, his positioning was vital for allowing the rest of the teams creativity to flourish. He also provided additional height against any long balls played forward by the opposition. Jumping Reach (14), Anticipation(14), Positioning(15), concentration(14), decisions(13), tackling(15), marking(14), work-rate(14)
PPMs: Plays simple passes

MCL: Vieiras all round physicality supported by solid technical ability provided arsenal with a battering ram in the middle of the park. Strength(15), Pace(13), Stamina(15), Work-rate(15), positioning(14), anticipation(14), tackling(15), technique(13), passing(14), decisions(14), first-touch(13), composure(12)
PPMs: Slide tackles

ML: Pires was no orthodox winger, predominantly right footed, his game revolved around running directly at the opposition and looking to pass or shoot. Pace(14), acceleration(15), dribbling(15), technique(15), first touch(15), passing(13), finishing(13), composure(13), off the ball(14), vision(13), flair(15)
PPMs: Cuts inside from left, plays one-twos

STC: Bergkamp could turn any moment into pure magic before your eyes, his touch, vision and awareness of the game around him was fantastic. First touch(16), Technique(16), passing(15), composure(14), finishing(13), off the ball(15), vision(16), anticipation(14), decisions(13), flair(15)
PPMs: Comes deep to get ball

STL: Henry was as complete a striker as will ever be seen, at times taking up the position of an inside forward and others that of a typical no.9, his unpredictability, pace, technique and composure unraveled numerous defences on Arsenals undefeated run to the title. Pace (16), Acceleration (16), Agility(14), Off the ball(15), anticipation(14), composure(15), flair(15), technique(15), first touch(15),(Dribbling(15), finishin(16), vision(13), passing(12)
PPMs: Cuts inside from left, places shots

Team Instructions

View attachment 182948

Supporting Screenshots

The Henry, Pires and Cole combination
View attachment 182936

Bergkamp role, receiving passes
View attachment 182935

Henry role, receiving passes
View attachment 182934

Overall Team Shape In Possession
View attachment 182933

Results this season so far
View attachment 182671
Not bad bar the hiccup against Chelsea(in spite of dominating the game in terms of chances and possession)

Tactic Download

I've made a small tweak to the tactic, just to remove the "cuts inside" instruction from the Llungberg role, as I want that player to concentrate more on getting into those narrow positions using off the ball movement than dribbling into them.

View attachment 182686

Last edited:
anything special for OI or training?

Nothing for OI, this tactic is simply for replicating what the invincible did. They didn't particularly force the opposition off the ball, they were more of a reactive team, where they played THEIR game from wherever they picked up the ball.

I generally just use balanced training on a medium setting with the players being trained individually,where necessary, if they fall down in attributes needed for the role

Hi, as mentioned in the post, this tactic is more about replicating the Invincibles style than anything. I will throw up some results though after another few games. At the moment it's looking pretty good. In my last game I limited villareal to 2 shots for the game while my team shot over 20 times, despite possession being 50-50.(this was at a time when arsenal weren't as synonymous with holding the ball as they were in proactively using it moving forward.

If anyone has any thoughts on the tactic or would like to know more, feel free to comment :)

Hi mate, do you use any PI's on the positions?

This looks like a nice simple tactic that could potentially be devastating!

Hi mate, do you use any PI's on the positions?

This looks like a nice simple tactic that could potentially be devastating!

There are a few P.I settings yes;

The Deep Lying Forward has "roam from position selected, in order to make use of the space on the right as well as in the centre of the pitch.

The Box to Box midfielder has "tackle harder" selected

The right Wide midfielder has " get forward" and "sit narrower" selected

The left Wide midfielder has " roam from position", "dribble more", sit narrow and "cut inside" selected

And the right full back has "get forward selected"

Last edited:
Thanks mate. In the middle of the 25/26 season just now and I will look to use this in the cup and against those who are vulnerable to 442. I did manage to beat Everton 7-2 away so no too bad I think.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk