IPL Auction 2011- 1st Round

Alcaraz

Reaction score
The Lucrative Money-making Cricket League is back with two new franchises in the form of Kochi and Pune. A decision was made this year to completely reshuffle the teams and the first Auction took place today.

Groundbreaking News from the First Auction

Gautam Gambhir goes to Mumbai Indians for a record-high of 2.4million

Graeme Swann, best spinner in the world is unsold while Indian Amateur Spinner Piyush Chawla pockets 900k

Robin Uthappa goes for 2.1 million to Pune Warriors despite having not played international T20 Cricket for 2 years now

Legendary West Indian Batsmen Brian Lara remains unsold

Kevin Pietersen goes for a mere 650k while Rohit Sharma goes for 2 million

For full list of players who have been sold look here
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/495897.html

For information on the franchises and the amount of money the have left look here
http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/current/story/495850.html

What do you all think? For me the biggest shock is seeing Graeme Swann arguably the best spinner in the world today remaining unsold

---------- Post added at 04:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

You can follow the second day of the Auction on Cricinfo on a ticker

Last edited:
Pune Warriors haven't done the best of things in spending so much on Uthappa when we got Yuvraj for less. Graeme Smith was an ok deal though and we overpaid again on Nehra and Angelo Matthews.

Yep that was shocking while lsser players like Amit Mishra, Piyush Chawla were sold for sizeable sums

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

Pune Warriors haven't done the best of things in spending so much on Uthappa when we got Yuvraj for less. Graeme Smith was an ok deal though and we overpaid again on Nehra and Angelo Matthews.

I have no idea what thy are playing at getting Uthappa for so much, sure he is a good player but not worth so much, that money could have been better spent on someone like Gilchrist or David Warner, hard-hitting batsmen while Gilchrsit is the finest keeper-batsmen around anywhere

Yep that was shocking while lsser players like Amit Mishra, Piyush Chawla were sold for sizeable sums

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

I have no idea what thy are playing at getting Uthappa for so much, sure he is a good player but not worth so much, that money could have been better spent on someone like Gilchrist or David Warner, hard-hitting batsmen while Gilchrsit is the finest keeper-batsmen around anywhere

If such dealings continue I won't support Pune despite they being my hometown team. I'll support Chennai who I did in the last three seasons

Robin Uthappa :wub:

Was amazing in the short spell he had for India and the decent in the last IPL

I might get some tickets for a few matches in the easter break, should be quality :)

Can't believe that Swanny wasn't signed, bit surprised at the excessive amount for Piyush Chawla though, don't think he's a great player :S

People need to realise that it is the Indian Premier League. They need 7 Indians to be playing AT ALL TIMES. Of course the Indians are going to be more expensive/have more interest.

It is quite shocking that Swanny hasn't been bought yet.

I really don't like the IPL at all, the whole concept is totally un cricket like.

Id rather all the England boys said no to it, but for the money they get paid they obviously won't

Indian players are worth more as we need to field 7 Indian players. Otherwise no way Uthappa and Gambhir worth that much.

And Zaheer is back. Zaheer, Nanes, Dilshan, De Villiers. Kohli, Vettori. Awesome team. We should have signed Ross Taylor as he is a big Hero in Bangalore.

On the sad part, Dravid signed for Royals. Bangalore wont be the same without him and Kumble.

Last edited:
I know nothing about cricket but how do these teams have so much money? Also if England and Australia are the best teams in the world (They probably aren't I just thought they were) how come India have the best league?

I know nothing about cricket but how do these teams have so much money? Also if England and Australia are the best teams in the world (They probably aren't I just thought they were) how come India have the best league?

these teams are owned by movie stars, billionaire's etc. much like the EPL plus India has the best league just as EPL is the best league but England is not the best soccer team and btw India are no. 1 on the Test Rankings and 2nd or 3rd in the ODI Rankings so I would rate them the best team in the world atm

Pune doesnt have the best team in the league, but they have my support! Go Pune :wub:

these teams are owned by movie stars, billionaire's etc. much like the EPL plus India has the best league just as EPL is the best league but England is not the best soccer team and btw India are no. 1 on the Test Rankings and 2nd or 3rd in the ODI Rankings so I would rate them the best team in the world atm

Meh I have no idea, cricket is boring IMO just wondered how India, a developing nation can have the biggest league. Also how does this auction work? Who gets the money, the players?

I guess a good cricket league is more important than a decent standard of living for some people...

Basically Andy the whole concept of the IPL has been modelled similarly to the EPL in terms of team structure and finance although there are some concepts taken from the MLS and such

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 AM ----------

Meh I have no idea, cricket is boring IMO just wondered how India, a developing nation can have the biggest league. Also how does this auction work? Who gets the money, the players?

Well for starters India has the largest number of billionaires behind America and people like Mukesh Ambani who is one of the richest men on the planet owns a team and you have loads of movie stars owning teams too and we all know Bollywood can be compared to Hollywood in terms of money and glamour

The auction works in a similar way to how auction games are run for paintings etc.

The player's name is called out and the different teams bid higher and higher for him until one team gets him and yes the player gets the money in short-term contracts similar to EPL but they are paid for the whole season not week by week like EPL Players

I guess a good cricket league is more important than a decent standard of living for some people...

Our country can't tend to more than a billion people can it? Also people do not want to change because of age-old beliefs and traditions. No matter how much we try to educate them, they will never agree to the modern ways. People here in India are crazy about many things. There are MANY superstitions here, especially in the rural areas, and corrupt people take advantage of this, further putting them down into poverty. The government and the private institutions are trying their best but it just isn't working.

I am sorry but there are like a billion people in India, as hellroker said most of them still believe in the old ways and are not willing to change, plus corruption is deep-rooted in India, we saw that with the shambles of the Commonwealth Games, and the same can be said for the EPL which is more lucrative than the IPL or this can be said for many countries so this was just created as a sporting league nothing more really, just a way for rich people to play with their money

Last edited:
Our country can't tend to more than a billion people can it? Also people do not want to change because of age-old beliefs and traditions. No matter how much we try to educate them, they will never agree to the modern ways. People here in India are crazy about many things. There are MANY superstitions here, especially in the rural areas, and corrupt people take advantage of this, further putting them down into poverty. The government and the private institutions are trying their best but it just isn't working.

Sorry wasn't trying to start a politic argument I just wondered...