Irish League Champions League Misshap

Stryker8

Reaction score
I am playing as Derry City FC in the SSE Airtricity League.
I am in my 8th season in the year 2022. I have made them a powerhouse of Irish football, even had an unbeaten season in my 7th year. I have consistently qualified for the group stages and my last 2 seasons finished 2nd in the group (2020 group - PSV,Tottenham and Malmo, 2021 Group - Lyon, Dukla Prague and Benfica). I have followed that by being knocked out of the next round by Manchester City both times for 6-7 goal deficits
My issue is that in my 2021 season, My striker a regen scored 12 goals from qualifying to the first knockout round. At the end of the league, he was still the highest scorer with a Madrid regen closest at 9 goals.
But the Golden Boot was awarded to the Madrid player, even though the number of games played was the same(13) and goals were less than my regen.
Any ideas as to why this would happen ?

My guess would be that the goals scored in the qualifying rounds don't actually count as qualifying is not the tournament proper?

Just a guess though.

But Doesnt that mean they should remove my player from the discussion altogether ?
I mean, I agree, it makes sense to restart from the group stages, but when you keep my player on the list for the whole season, I realistically thought my player would win the golden boot for the UCL, which is a pretty big thing.